Emissions test fail.

My beloved Audi A2 2001 1.4Tdi failed MOT emissions test, it was recording 9.90M-1 . Air filter and diesel filter was changed about 6month ago. any ideas what’s could be wrong and what I should to replace this. Any advice appreciate.

Attachments

• IMG_8657.JPG
    IMG_8657.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 342
I don’t know exactly why your emissions were recorded high. But what I tend to do before every test Is a good old ‘Italian tune’ fast driving (not exceeding speed limit) to clean exhaust out.
May you could try this before re-testing...?

I’m sure someone will come along with help needed. I’ve recently had a De-Cat on my tdi, interested to see results next week.

R

well i had this once
this is what i was told to do and it worked
put some petrol in about 2 litres to half a tank of diesel
absolutely thrash it for about 2-3 miles
mine passed after that

heh, i didn't put anything in before my MOT, but i drove to the place with second gear and high revs. that did it for me

well i had this once
this is what i was told to do and it worked
put some petrol in about 2 litres to half a tank of diesel
absolutely thrash it for about 2-3 miles
mine passed after that

Petrol really?
I wouldn’t try this myself but high revs for a couple of miles to clean exhaust out should sort it.
Has anyone noticed If you do town driving then hit “pedal to metal” all the Rubbish that comes out is unbelievable!

Petrol really?
I wouldn’t try this myself but high revs for a couple of miles to clean exhaust out should sort it.
Has anyone noticed If you do town driving then hit “pedal to metal” all the Rubbish that comes out is unbelievable!

Re: Diesel emissions

Ive been researching the new MOT rules coming in on May the 20th this year concerning diesel emissions, the government keeps banging on about high emitting older diesel vehicles but there is little or no information available about how we will be effected.

The new MOT emission tests are supposed to be a lot stricter than the current ones so this could be bad news for tdi owners.

Many diesels which have had their egr blanked or cats / dpf taken off/bypassed will get an auto fail, luckily our A2s dont have dpf filters but the new emission rules are aimed at getting older diesel cars off the road.

I have 2 x 16 year old tdi s A2, T4, and as a precaution Im getting them both MOT `d before May 20th hopefully they will all pass under the current emission rules which will give me a years grace to see what happens after May 20th.

Petrol really?
Different engine though my ('94) Corsa 1.5D manual recommended adding up to 25% petrol for winter. Having run diesels on vegetable oil in the past I've run diesel, veg oil and petrol in the tank simultaneously. :)

Different engine though my ('94) Corsa 1.5D manual recommended adding up to 25% petrol for winter. Having run diesels on vegetable oil in the past I've run diesel, veg oil and petrol in the tank simultaneously. :)

Amazing what a none injection diesel engine can handle

Interesting reading about how to keep my A2 tdi running for ever!

Maybe retrofitting could be the answer if the costs are low enough?

https://www.dieselforum.org/policy/why-retrofit

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/lo...eet-the-standards/fit-a-filter#on-this-page-4

Did you retest your car audia2owner?

I had mine today, I was a little worried with my tdi having no cat fitted but passed.
BB600F7C-675C-4B1C-B89D-4E2DBC224F16.jpeg

No cat on Tank either and he flew through the smoke test on Tuesday too. A nice warm engine and an Italian tune on the way to the test centre is the way to pass the test. Unless of course your engine is truly knackered.

You carried out a decat a while ago didn’t you mike? Certainly unlocked lower down torque and to mention exhaust note from 3cyl, I’m a fan!
I just need to sort out starting problem when warm then blue will be back to good health.

hi rosscanning
what are your symptoms of Not starting when warm?
do you mean Hot?
does the engine still turn over fast but no firing?
if you let it cool down a little does it start ok?
robert

You carried out a decat a while ago didn’t you mike? Certainly unlocked lower down torque and to mention exhaust note from 3cyl, I’m a fan!
I just need to sort out starting problem when warm then blue will be back to good health.
Yes, the de-cat was done around 10 years ago now when I had the full stainless system installed by Pipewerx in Burscough. Still have the cat in the garage though in case retrospective laws make it mandatory again.

You're right - spool up time without the blockage of the cat is fantastic and the throb of the 3-cylinder is really audible now. Had comments in the past that Tank sounds like a Messershmitt 109 when at full chat.

Still have the cat in the garage though in case retrospective laws make it mandatory again.

It's mandatory now; without it your A2 doesn't meet Euro 3. The MOT currently tests particulates only.

RAB

That's fine then - I'm not interested in meeting European regulations and there's plenty of cars and bikes on the road that don't meet Euro 3 or 2 or whatever.

As long as Tank passes the MOT and is legal, then that'll do me.

That's fine then - I'm not interested in meeting European regulations and there's plenty of cars and bikes on the road that don't meet Euro 3 or 2 or whatever.

As long as Tank passes the MOT and is legal, then that'll do me.
I like the idea of clean air which is why I don't idle unnecessarily. Strangely, I have no issue with the decat, think I'll look into this.

And until something is done to remove the real polluters from society, namely factories and heavy goods vehicles, I don't see why our little cars should be troubled by the agenda-setters in europe. Wasn't it european manufacturers who couldn't reasonably achieve the figures without cheating??

I really don't think that a light 55+mpg car is cause for concern in the great scheme of things.

Last edited:
Back