Engine just stopped, won´t start agian 1.4tdi AMF

gagge

Hello
I have an Audi A2 1.4tdi AMF engine from 2001. This morning the car started just as usual, I drove out from my carport towards an junction. I stopped to watch out for pedestrians and so on. Then the engine just died! I tried to start it again but the starter just turned around. Since it is uphill back to the carport I drove the car on the starter.
When I got back from work I plugged in the laptop with vag-com installed. Unfortunately I did not get any fault codes.
I also tried to change keys if it was something wrong with the first key, but that was not the problem either.
There are no warninglights showing up, no beeps.
Are there a solenoid cut off to the fuel, since I just drove about 50m this morning that could perhaps be possible with the fuel that was in the fuel line?

Please help!

No I have not checked it, but since i drove the car back to my garage with the starter motor i am pretty sure that the cam belt is ok.

The starter turns the crankshaft so it will still move the car if the cam belt is broken. It does sound like a broken cam belt

Ok, have to check that out tomorrow. I change the cam belt in august 2010 and have driven just 50000km. Thats about halfway of what the belt is made to withstand.

Well you made me really nervous so I went out to the car and put the cambelt cover away. There are no visual faults on the belt. Perhaps it has jumped a tooth? Crank or cam sensor? Immobilizer?

Well you made me really nervous so I went out to the car and put the cambelt cover away. There are no visual faults on the belt. Perhaps it has jumped a tooth? Crank or cam sensor? Immobilizer?

Were the tensioner and idler pulleys changed with the belt ? If either were badly worn that could cause the belt to jump teeth. This would allow conflicting signals from the cam and crank sensors which causes the engine to shut down. A quick check would be to disconnect the cam sensor to see if it fires up - Im assuming that as the engine has been turned over hundresds of times by the starter the belt has not jumped enough to cause valve / piston interference.

If that's not the problem then best guess would be the crank sensor as this is the only sensor which shuts the engine down if it fails.

Cheers Spike

I changed all the parts that are included in a timing belt change. Waterpump, tensioner pulley, vibration damper, guide pulley and of course the belt. I will try to disconnect the cam sensor this weekend. I will keep you updated!
Thanks for all the tip

If I disconnect the cam sensor wich is the g40 I guess? Do I need to align the marks on the crank and cam pulley with the ones on the engine before I connect the sensor again?

Cam sensor is G40 as you say. There is no need to align the marks as the correlation between the camshaft and crank has not been lost and no setting procedure is required for the sensor.

Cheers Spike

Hi Mike.
No just diesel fuel.
I have now disconnected the cam sensor G40. I tried to fire it up, but it is like before. I plugged in the diagnostic tool and now 1 code showed up. No connection with cam sensor G40!
Is it possible to disconnect even the G28 crank sensor and try to start?
I am running out of ideas. What could it be?

Have you checked that the camshaft is turning when you try to start it ? With no fault codes otherwise i would check that you have fuel getting to the injectors

Hi not sure if this will help but I had a problem where one of my tdi amf engines stalled and would not restart. Would crank but not fire, it ended up being the flap under the erg valve the rod which actuates it had popped off as the flap was sticking due to oil/dirt buildup. The pipe leading up to it was removed and the flap and surrounding area cleaned thoroughly. The actuating rod was clipped back on and the car started no problem. Hope this helps

Irfan

Yes the camshaft is turning.
I am not sure which fuel line to loosen to see if there are any fuel getting to the injetors.
I read about the plug on the fuel pump where to measure the pressure, but that was only possible if the engine runs at about 1500rpm. Could I loosen that plug to see if there are any fuel? Or will there be problems with air in the system?

Hi irfan

Did you mean nr 5 in this picture?
audi.JPG

No closer to point 6 in ur diagram. It's got a big pipe going to it with a metal clip holding it on flap Is behind that. The egr valve sits ontop of it.

irfan
Check out my video, is this the egr valve you talked about?

[video=youtube_share;NAGAGsoThSk]http://youtu.be/NAGAGsoThSk[/video]

As I indicated in post 7 of this thread, the engine won't run if the crank sensor is faulty (or unplugged)

Cheers Spike

Hi Mike.
No just diesel fuel.
I have now disconnected the cam sensor G40. I tried to fire it up, but it is like before. I plugged in the diagnostic tool and now 1 code showed up. No connection with cam sensor G40!
Is it possible to disconnect even the G28 crank sensor and try to start?
I am running out of ideas. What could it be?

Back