Engine management light will not go out

3robert

Hello, I have a 1.6fsi which I have just bought from a dealer. After two days the engine light came on and the car went into limp home mode and idled very rough.
Took it back and it was a cam shaft sensor fault which they replaced with a genuine Audi part, drove it home and light came on again, cam shaft fault.
They checked the wiring back to the ecu, all fine so they re placed the ecu, again drove home light back on cam shaft fault.
This is the problem when the car is cold in the morning it drives perfect, but has you get into traffic and the engine heats up the engine starts to loose power the longer in traffic the worse it gets, it revs out perfect no miss fire only accasionally not wanting to rev past 4500. The engine feels flat no real power low down and as it revs out there is no build up of horse power through the Rev range. If you are on the motor way in 5th at 60 will not accelerate and pull very slowly. It also struggles to accelerate up sleep hills with lack of power but, no miss fire.
Anyone else had this problem please help, Robert

Hi, it is best to have the car scanned with vcds to retrieve the fault codes.

If you are near cambs, i can do this for you for free.

Hi thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately i am in northern Ireland.
Every time the car has been in it has had a full diagnostic completed on it and the only fault coming up is Cam shaft, it would be reset and within a couple of minutes it comes back on. The timing has been checked on the car and it is 100% as well.
It's just strange that the longer you drive it in traffic the the worse it gets.
Rob

I would be tempted to put a crank sensor on it and see how it runs. The management system uses the crank sensor predominantly but will use the cam sensor if it fails. I know your not getting any crank sensor issues but it may be worth a try. Cheers Mike

Back