Engine management system warning indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey

The engine management system warning light has come on for the third time on my Y reg 52k miles 1.4 petrol. On previous occasions my local Audi service centre could find no fault and just reset it and said it might need a new ECU (£600 ish?) Has anyone else experienced the same?. There seems to be no difference whatsoever in the way the engine runs.
Starting to pull out hair!

If the warning light comes on, then there is an out-of-tolerance situation that the ECU knows about.
Try to find someone with a 1551/VAG-COM unit to give you a second opinion - there will be a DTC of some sort, but it may be one that Audi know isn't particularly serious, or maybe one that they don't want to fix for some reason.

If you're ever near Manchester, I'd be happy to give your car a full scan to see what the problem is. However, at the end of the day, it could be that a new ECU is needed - don't pay Audi money though, go to a breakers and just have the thing recoded. Should be about £150 all in.

WAS : A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!)
NOW : A2 TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, winter pack, ISOfix, fogs, climate control, all-round electric windows, Blaupunkt DAB54, genuine HID xenons and red leather! Not to mention CCC Tech chipping (118bhp) and all round tinting.(The NEW Tank)

Many thanks for the advice. Am I likely to any damage if I keep running it 'til I get a proper fix?
Mickey

Quite unlikely that you will do any damage, especially if the car seems to be running as per usual.

WAS : A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!)
NOW : A2 TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, winter pack, ISOfix, all-round fogs, climate control, all-round electric windows, Blaupunkt DAB54, genuine HID xenons and red leather! Not to mention CCC Tech chipping (118bhp), all round tinting and retro-fitted cruise control.(The NEW Tank). Black headlining and retro-fit Bose coming soon!!!

Took it to another Audi deal who checked for the 64 possible faults that it could be. Turned out to be 2 small rubber hoses. Labour charge... £190. Am I convinced? No not really but if it doesn't come on for a few weeks than I guess it's cured.
Michael

wow that seems a bit steep for two small rubber hoses. just had my indicators repaired by a vw dealer would have cost £150 (new relay plus labour) but thank goodness for the extended warranty which I took out last month

1.4 PETROL A2 BLACK WITH OPEN SKY AND REAR BENCH SEAT

As I anticipated the engine mangement light has come back on again. Waiting for an explanation from my Audi garage with interest.
Michael... Audi A2 1.4 petrol but maybe not for much longer.

My mums 2001 (51) 1.4 petrol had this exact same problem (thankfully Audi UK have given us free "Audi UK warrently" cover until their FSA approval is granted, at which point we will buy the policy (or pay for the warrenty work we have had done).

I will get back to you ASAP to let you know what the solution was.

It kept throwing various fault codes, the first of which was that it was running lean, we then switched to Optimax to rule out poor fuel, it then illuminated several times (with different codes). I have a sneaky feeling that something needed cleaning but i'll get back to you.

you may not want to buy the Audi warranty as i think it will cost around £600 I have the VW approved warranty on my car and it cost me £299 and I have made a claim on it already for around £150 email me if you want further details of the warranty I have

1.4 PETROL A2 BLACK WITH OPEN SKY AND REAR BENCH SEAT

After I'd dropped the car off at the dealer I thought I'd phone Audi UK to see if they had heard of this fault. They said they would cantact the dealer and provide help if required. Three days later my car was ready. The fault apparently was that the switch which turns on the cooling fan when required was sending out a signal momentarily that the fan should come on but the fan didn't. Having driven some pretty rubbish cars in my earlier years I have a habit of watching temperature gauges but I have never seen the A2's gauge vary from the middle point. So everything is ok now.... or is it. Maybe speak to you soon. Nice of Audi UK to get involved especially as they picked up the bill.
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back