engine mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ammie

<center>hello all you happy people</center></u>

right i have a few questions, only a few, so don't get to annoyed at me [26]

as i have never owned a TDI before, i have no idea what is involved with modifying the engine. before my A2 i had a corsa, and there were so many thigs on the market such as
* induction kits
* power boost valves
* up-rated manifolds

the list goes on and on, however when it comes to the A2 TDI i'm a little [13].... what mods are available apart from the these super dooper chips, that are always mentioned, can you get things like induction kits, for the A2 TDI?

<center>now i also have another matter which i needs addressing:</center>as i condemn speeding or driving like a fool,the following query isn't for my benefit. it is for my friend who also drives an Audi a2 which is a 1.4 TDI, and is coincidentaly silver and also, coincidentaly has 15" inch wheels on it.... if you catch my drift ;)

anyways 'he' was on the motorway the other day observing the speed limt. then all of a sudden this rover MG undertook 'him', in a rather "get the hell out of my way you diesel" type of fashion,
so 'he' rather stupidly gave chase.
'he' managed to catch up and overtake.. and beat him all the way to the glasgow cut off,
however 'he' noticed that when at high speed his rev counter wouldn't exceed 5000 revs? it wouldn't go onto the red line, like all petrol cars do, why is this? does chipping the car help it rev higher?
thanx, sorry for rambling on ..

Chipping doesn`t raise the Rev limit but does make the car rev much easier!

The car begins to loose power beyond 5k as the turbo cuts out.

If I remember my dash correctly, the redline is at 44 or 4500 rpm, isn't it?
How the hell did your friend manage to do anywhere near 4400 rpm in 5th gear on the highway? My TDi, chipped or unchipped, will never reach that for sure. Is my TDi a dud then?

I know it will rev towards 5k rpm if you push it in lower gears, but it really doesn't make any sense, since power seriously starts to degrade after 4000, IMHO. It just ain't a petrol engine, and it certainly isn't a rev-happy Honda VTEC engine ;)

Anyway, about the mods: a chip definately brings you the biggest change for your money. Both in theory and in practice.
After the chip you could optimize the air inlet and/or the exhaust, but compared to the chip, it will probably be a big disappointment.
The only other useful mod I've read about, is a change of the injectors. I think I've read that some PD diesels allow a replacement with injectors from one of their bigger brothers. Along the lines of buying a 90bhp 1.9 tdi golf and then fitting injectors from the 130bhp version. But whether that exists for the A2 too...? Maybe. The 3-cylinder 1.4 is hardly anything more than a 1.9 with a cylinder cut off.

I'll leave this to more technically minded people!

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

The reason diesels don't rev as high as petrol cars is that the burn rate of diesel is slower than petrol, therefor limiting the RPM of the engine to approx 4500rpm.
Unless you are looking to alter the fuel, the RPM limit won't be altered by tuning.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

listen swiv - easy tiger - it was a mistake on my half!!! it only went up to 4000 revs, i wrote that message at 2am,
sorry mate, my mistake, won't happen again
but thanks for the info,

Ah, all settled then!
As you noticed, I'm really afraid that my A2 is not doing what it's supposed to do. And with EF MAX writing about 0-60 in 8 or 9 seconds in the other thread in this subforum, I am reallt starting to get paranoid ;)

Maybe I should shell out some money for a bench test...

Happy modding, Ammie!

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

orite

where can i get a abt superchip from for my 1.4 Tdi?

AZAM

Stuart, have you noticed that the UK branch of the ABT sportsline website has ceased to exist? There's only a notice that they're quitting...

A snip from their website:
quote:
Unfortunate News (Wed 04th, Feb, 2004)

It is with deep regret that the Directors of Abt Sportsline UK must inform you that Abt Sportsline UK Limited will cease trading immediatly

Any enquiries can be directed to Abt Sportsline Gmbh who will deal with you directly.

Please contact the following

Mr Frank Roth, Export Sales Department

tel 0049 831 571 4047 fax 0049 831 571 4037

email [email protected]

You might want to get in touch with them...

Edo

--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back