Engine stops suddenly.

Janin

From time to time this happens without any forewarning. It's like the engine lost its ignition.
The engine can be restarted immediately again and then runs as nothing had ever happened.
A few days ago I changed the injector loom and had hoped that the problem is solved, but it was not so.
:(
What could I check next?

Ciao
Janin
1.4 Tdi, AMF, 261ooo km

No, I haven't. I had a small plug-in thing, but I guess that wouldn't do the trick anyhow.
I was told that the fuel filter could be the culprit. But if that's the case would the car start again and run perfectly afterwards (often for days)?
Ciao
Janin

Fuel filter always worth keeping up to on servicing, however my guess would be the crankshaft sensor
Mine too - but the OP needs to get the car scanned to avoid further rounds of "parts darts" in the blind hope that our opinions are correct - as opposed to actually listening to what the car's diagnostics can tell him IS actually the issue :)

Fuel filter always worth keeping up to on servicing, however my guess would be the crankshaft sensor
Certainly a thought, I had experience of this with a Saab, but I usually had to wait a few minutes for it to cool a bit to get it to restart. A scan is a must otherwise we are flying blind

J

Indeed and agreed! Never a bad thing to replace the crankshaft sensor thou but tricky to do it without removing the cooler, best to buy the cooler seals too

I have ordered the fuel filter and shall see whether it cures the problem. 🤞

Ciao
Janin

mine very recently was the crank shaft sensor , similar to you, the problem gets worse over time, the kit is £50 with the fuel filter gasket as the whole thing has to come off, it is a bit of a sod to do.
there is a few piccies on the site,

You are still guessing without a full scan to point you in the areas to look. Not everything is monitored by the early system fitted to the A2 but still better than opening a parts catalogue and picking items off each page.

As you said it is like it has lost its ignition. If I was playing parts cannon I would look at the ignition switch. Fuel filter will not normally random shut the car off then restart.

Have you said which Engine it is ?

We had this Engine randomly cutting out at any time a few years ago on our 1.4 Petrol BBY Engine. As with yours the Engine could be re started straight away. No Scanning found any Fault. A trusted Garage kept the Engine running in the Workshop for several hours without it Cutting Out. Then suddenly it stopped for them. No Faults indicated. Eventually someone suggested it was a New Ignition Coil Fitted by RAC Breakdown Service sending some sort of electrical charge back to the ECU causing the Engine to randomly Cut Out. I fitted another New Ignition Coil. The Fault has never come back.

The Thread is all on A2OC somewhere but it was quite a few years ago.

Steve U

( C ) Umbria

Have you said which Engine it is ?

We had this Engine randomly cutting out at any time a few years ago on our 1.4 Petrol BBY Engine. As with yours the Engine could be re started straight away. No Scanning found any Fault. A trusted Garage kept the Engine running in the Workshop for several hours without it Cutting Out. Then suddenly it stopped for them. No Faults indicated. Eventually someone suggested it was a New Ignition Coil Fitted by RAC Breakdown Service sending some sort of electrical charge back to the ECU causing the Engine to randomly Cut Out. I fitted another New Ignition Coil. The Fault has never come back.

The Thread is all on A2OC somewhere but it was quite a few years ago.

Steve U

( C ) Umbria
Well, ours is 1.4 Tdi.
The problem is quite elusive and I fear that taking the car to a workshop might not reveal anything.
My next try is to change the fuel filter and then see if the problem persists.
I am almost sure that it will.

Ciao
Janin

I am going to repeat the advice you’ve been given - Get it scanned for error codes before changing any more parts. It is unlikely to be the fuel filter at fault as mentioned above, so identify and fix this issue properly before disturbing anything else.

I have ordered a small diagnosis tool (Autel MaxiScan MS309), just to guide me where a fault might be.
And yes, I doubt that the filter change will help. :(
Ciao
Janin

From time to time this happens without any forewarning. It's like the engine lost its ignition.
The engine can be restarted immediately again and then runs as nothing had ever happened.
A few days ago I changed the injector loom and had hoped that the problem is solved, but it was not so.
:(
What could I check next?

Ciao
Janin
1.4 Tdi, AMF, 261ooo km
I had an issue a few months ago similar where the engine was cutting out once every other trip. I started elongating and softening my gear changes and it hasn't cut out since. Even with some heavy driving. No idea if this is any help but it is my experience.

I bought an Autel MaxiScan MS309, but it's totally useless, waste of money.
:mad:

Then I found an old AutoDia SX45Pro in my boxes and it diagnosed error code 19463, aka camshaft sensor G40. Seems to be a perfect match for my problem.
:D

I ordered the sensor and as a precaution, I treated the plug connection with contact spray.

In the meanwhile I also changed the fuel filter. Not only was it very filthy but the bottom cover had a lot of ugly slime in it. I'm sure that it never had been changed before. :oops:

So far so good, the problem hasn't occurred again, but as I know that doesn't mean that it is solved yet.
:rolleyes:

Ciao
Janin

I bought an Autel MaxiScan MS309, but it's totally useless, waste of money.
:mad:

Then I found an old AutoDia SX45Pro in my boxes and it diagnosed error code 19463, aka camshaft sensor G40. Seems to be a perfect match for my problem.
:D

I ordered the sensor and as a precaution, I treated the plug connection with contact spray.

In the meanwhile I also changed the fuel filter. Not only was it very filthy but the bottom cover had a lot of ugly slime in it. I'm sure that it never had been changed before. :oops:

So far so good, the problem hasn't occurred again, but as I know that doesn't mean that it is solved yet.
:rolleyes:

Ciao
Janin
The slime sounds like diesel bug - I wonder if it's present in your tank too?

Glad you got it sorted - As above I did think it was the crank sensor but there's been enough of these threads in the past that ultimately make me conclude the best way is always to confirm your hunch before spending money.

Back