EPC Light on Dashboard

Hello
I am a recent owner of an A2 and stumbled across your site just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction .
I have searched the site regarding my issue but there are many combinations so its difficult to find where to start hence this posting.
My EPC light is now light on the dash , it does not seem to be affecting the car in anyway and also its intermittent (travelled 24 miles without lit once i had stopped and parked it came on as i turned the ignition off) .
I am looking to take the car to my local independent garage that I use to get a diagnostic check done ,but is there anything thats a common fault that I can identify or rule out the possibility of an expensive repair .EPC light lit as of the Audi Handbook means very little other than take it to them for an expensive check I guess.
I have read regarding the throttle body as a possible issue also brake light switch .
Anyone that can help please let me know

My car is Audi A2 1.4SE Silver 2001(Y) Open Sky roof (Bose concert system) current mileage 61500mls

Hi Adam, welcome to the A2oc
As one of the incidents was related to stopping the car it may be a sticky brake light switch. If you can repeatedly link the warning lamp to using the brakes then its worth changing the switch. (If you can do it yourself then its probably cheaper than a diagnostic scan anyway)
There is loads of info on changing the switch on here but if you can't find it then just ask.

Thanks for doing a search before posting by the way

Cheers Spike

PS I asume you have checked the brake light bulbs are all working ok

Hello Spike
Thanks for the reply
The Brake lights seem to be working at the moment as the EPC light is not on .Once that comes back on i will check the brake lights again,
Does the EPC light cover a multitude of niggling issues ???

Regards

Adam

Your best bet is to get the exact fault code reported by the diagnostic scan. EPC can mean various things. Have you checked the battery's health?

Hello humps

Battery seems fine no starting issues everything that's electrical works as it should with no sign of any stress.
I guess the diagnostic is the first point of call , if no code is found then what would be the next course of action.
As per this posting I have driven the car twice with no further EPC incident or any problem.
My guess is that its intermittent which could cause something larger as time goes on .
Any other theories ???

Regards

Adam

when my battery was dying, the car would crank and start every time. Everything electrical would also run. Only intermittent when under particular situation that the power steering sign would come on and engine cut out (happened twice). I could restart straight away. The power steering and engine had never had a problem and no issue ever since I replaced the battery (which also fixed my randomly activating siren alarm). So my suggestion on battery is just a guess, but if you have a multi meter at home, it is a free check so why not! However, I'd always look at the scan fault codes. I'd be very surprised if there was an EPC light but no fault codes reported.

Hello
Thanks for the advice i will take a look at the battery . Also the scan i will have this done probably new year and them some unless all goes horribly wrong before then

Cheers:D

Adam

Interestingly enough my EPC light came on tonight. No warning chime or anything but tested the brake lights when go home and they seemed temperamental. At first they didn`t work but then they did and then 10 seconds later they didnt. Will have a crack at replacing the Brake light switch and see if that makes any difference.

Interestingly enough my EPC light came on tonight. No warning chime or anything but tested the brake lights when go home and they seemed temperamental. At first they didn`t work but then they did and then 10 seconds later they didnt. Will have a crack at replacing the Brake light switch and see if that makes any difference.

I haven`t had the EPC light come back since the above incident however my brake lights haven`t been working so finally got around to replacing the switch today (with an after market one). Note to self, always but audi parts as the brake light switch as a activation mechanism unlike the genuine Audi Switches so was a bit confused to start with.

Anyway brake lights work fine now but within 20 metres of driving off and using the brakes the EPC light came back on. Brake lights still working fine but wonder if there is an issue with the after market switch. Might replace with a genuine one.

Strangely the car seems to now be running a lot better than before (although it is concerning to have the EPC light on). Seems a real mystery.I replaced the fuel filter last weekend (dont think it had been replaced for a number of years) but that wouldn`t take 20 miles to start seeing the benefits would it?

So went out to the car this morning to find a flat battery and the Brake lights on. Guessing that was why the EPC light came back on. The reverse lights seemed to be working when I checked them but perhaps the switch was a bit faulty although I did brake the switch when I fitted it i had managed to get it working and thought all was o.k.

Disconnected the switch this morning and lights went out. New Genuine Audi Brake light switch here we come.

Hello
Interesting that since my last post my EPC light has not reared its ugly head (probably should not have said that ) this will obviously make it harder to pinpoint the exact cause if or when something does go wrong .
Play the waiting game ..............

Back