Error reading Engine ECU - Ami's Car

Phil_B

So, yesterday I went to see @Ami to show off my nice new A2. Took my Laptop down with VCDS lite 'Just In case' I came up with an error code on the spirited test drive down. (Had one pop up other day...
Ami has VCDS lite too, and I made sure that was working for him. It hadn't before, Comm port selection.
He has an FSI he wanted to scan. So we did, and it wouldn't read the engine ECU. Tried other modules, and all worked.
So, tried my lead on his laptop, and my lead on my laptop. Nothing. All it came uip with was random characters that were different each time.
Completely unreadable.
We tried his in my car, and mine in another car. All worked fine
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Picture below of one of the attempts.

Attachments

• 20230404_172209.jpg
    20230404_172209.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 64
Reactions: Ami
Hi
Yes I had this and from memory I solved by setting the default baud rate, I’ll try and post some pics later unless someone beats me to it

J

We had Baud rate errors too. Thanks
OK, from the main screen (1st image) select options and then try setting the start baud rate to 9600 (2nd image highlighted in yellow), it worked for me when I had very similar looking problems.

C44F516B-0B28-46B0-BDFD-BAE9653F223B.jpeg BD5AC7CB-918F-4BE5-AD52-42D05091E87F.jpeg

I also have a VAG401 handheld scanner we could try if needs be

J

I also had this, once. Tried the next day after a drive and it was fine. No settings were changed.
Mac.

Did you do a full scan or just select ecu? Did you try another module? Once port and baud rates are good for reliable communication try again this time with the engine running not just ignition on.

Did you do a full scan or just select ecu? Did you try another module? Once port and baud rates are good for reliable communication try again this time with the engine running not just ignition on.
Did both a full scan, and a module scan, on both laptops. Ami will try that again when he has finished work I guess.

Did both a full scan, and a module scan, on both laptops. Ami will try that again when he has finished work I guess.
Thanks Phil & Justin, I will have a go to see if I can sort it when I get to the car after work.
Many thanks for thinking of me guys.

So, yesterday I went to see @Ami to show off my nice new A2. Took my Laptop down with VCDS lite 'Just In case' I came up with an error code on the spirited test drive down. (Had one pop up other day...
Ami has VCDS lite too, and I made sure that was working for him. It hadn't before, Comm port selection.
He has an FSI he wanted to scan. So we did, and it wouldn't read the engine ECU. Tried other modules, and all worked.
So, tried my lead on his laptop, and my lead on my laptop. Nothing. All it came uip with was random characters that were different each time.
Completely unreadable.
We tried his in my car, and mine in another car. All worked fine
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Picture below of one of the attempts.
Lovely car I must say, beautiful condition, well done Phil

Will try that too Graham, cheers

Back