Exchanging a badly rusted wishbone

Joga

A2OC Donor
As I have noticed that my 2002 BBY A2 has a rusty wishbone front left I have been collecting courage, parts and knowledge during the 2019 autumn. And with the yearly inspection coming closer, actually end Jan, I got going a few days ago.

First removing the undertray outside so thats done, because the rest of the work is to be done in a friends rather small garage.
DSC_2026.JPG

DSC_2029.JPG

Here jacked up in the warm garage.
DSC_2037.JPG

A view of the wishbone from above, not in perfect condition really.
DSC_2038.JPG

Started the work by removing the steering joint. I noticed that the bellow was damaged, so a new joint is added to the purchase list.
DSC_2043.JPG

The joint had very rusted threads above the nut, risking the cone to loose its grip when trying to undo the nut, so I simply hacksawed that section away.
DSC_2047.JPG

Then removing the ball joint from the wishbone. First screw was not cooperative at all.
DSC_2048.JPG

I started to get bad vibrations here, would all screws be like this?

Here further progress in the ball joint area. Also removed the nut as I planned to remove the ball joint completely. I have a new one laying around.
DSC_2050.JPG

By the way, I started this work this Monday but I havent had the chance to share it here until now (more to come). Hope it can be of interest to anyone, eg with a rusty wishbone ;).

So still on Mondays accomplishments, next step was to remove the two bolts that attach the stabilizer mounts (is there a better English word?) to the alloy console which holds the wishbone. These bolts are M8x60. The stabilizer mounts can hardly be seen here, as they are on the other side.
DSC_2051.JPG

Next step was to remove the two bolts that attach the steering rack to the front "frame" aswell as the alloy console. M10x84. The other bolt is the one just to the right.
DSC_2053.JPG

I might mention that I had at this point already decided that I was going to remove both the wishbone and the console together. I understand that if lucky it is possible to keep the console in the car when removing the wishbone, but I didnt even consider me that lucky :).

And how right I was..

Then going for the screws that holds the console to the car structure. Two M12x75, one here:
DSC_2056.JPG

And one here:
DSC_2057.JPG

The screw that holds the front end of the wishbone to console must also be removed since it also involves the "frame".
This screw was very very uncoopeative. I probably spent 45 minutes trying to persuade it to leave the console threads fully, giving it continuous lubrication and winding it back and forth in small movements. I relized the concole threads were being destroyed in this operation :(.
DSC_2058.JPG

Voila!
DSC_2059.JPG

And now I could wiggle away the wishbone/console.
DSC_2060.JPG

Now the day after, in my own shed (please dont look at the total disorder :eek::D).
As suspected there was no way the wishbone was planning on leaving the console bush with leveraging or hammering. Nops.
DSC_2072.JPG

Plan B was to get slightly aggresive on the bush.
DSC_2073.JPG

DSC_2074.JPG

And chisel away the rest.
DSC_2084.JPG

DSC_2085.JPG

Then some hacksawing on the outer ring of the bush to allow a section of it to be remove first. Section loose here:
DSC_2089.JPG

DSC_2090.JPG

Cleaned surface:
DSC_2091.JPG

Old one and soon-to-be:
DSC_2092.JPG

Work is paused in this state right now.
I need to repair the threads in the console, they dont look ok. So I am waiting for my ordered thread repair insert M12x1.5 kit to arrive from Germany, aswell the steering joint.
Have in the meanwhile ordered and collected all bolts from the local VAG dealer.

What I have to find out yet is the torque wrench setting for all of these bolts.

I hope to do more progress by next weekend :).
Feel free to suggest more correct terms of parts if I used wrong ones.

Very surprised to find you sticking with the pressed steel wishbones, when the earlier cast type are so much more durable, and an easy reverse swap.

Do you have a new set of ball joints to go with those arms? If you don't, I'd be happy to gift you a pair providing you cover the postage. PM me if interested.

Very good point Steve.
The reason was that I think my right side wishbone is in healthy condition, and if going for the cast type I would need to change both I guess.
Cost wise I didnt find a huge difference when comparing one genuine pressed steel with two good quality cast ones (but perhaps I didnt look well enough).
Adding some lazyness on top (rather change just one than two wishbones).

Thanks for your kind offer. I have a new Lemförder ball joint ready here however.

I can report some progress :).

The ordered thread repair kit with inserts:

https://www.dittmar-werkzeuge.de/V-COIL-Gewinde-Reparatur-Satz-1.5-D-M-12-x-1-5-V04022.html

..had been delivered to my house the other day, and today, just back from a business trip, I was ready for some thread job.

Here is the kit with the 12,4mm drill already taken (mounted in the drill machine). I am happy with the quality of the kit.
DSC_2127.JPG

The console securely fixed to the table at the right angle, and the drill ready and positioned at the thread center.
DSC_2132.JPG

The thread as it was, partly damaged.
DSC_2131.JPG

After drilling.
DSC_2134.JPG

Time to make the thread for the inserts (to be sure I get right angle of the tool, the first turns were made with the tool in the drilling machine).
DSC_2137.JPG

Rather long thread, but fully through here.
DSC_2141.JPG

Here is one of the inserts, each with approx ten turns of thread.
DSC_2144.JPG

The insert is screwed down to the desired depth with the blue tool. One cant reverse so one need to pay attention.
DSC_2147.JPG

Here two inserts are mounted.
DSC_2148.JPG

I put in one more after this, so totally three inserts, and I would say now the whole length is covered.
I then tested with the original screw and it fitted perfectly. I actually feel really good about this repair :).

Next step would be to mount the new bush for the rear end of the wishbone into the console. I save that for another day.

The insert is screwed down to the desired depth with the blue tool. One cant reverse so one need to pay attention.
View attachment 60565

Here two inserts are mounted.
View attachment 60566

I put in one more after this, so totally three inserts, and I would say now the whole length is covered.
I then tested with the original screw and it fitted perfectly. I actually feel really good about this repair :).

Next step would be to mount the new bush for the rear end of the wishbone into the console. I save that for another day.
A man after my own heart I’ve been an engineer all my life did my time in the tool room and more another story ..I think I mentioned I worked for Saab aircraft in the early eighties..I loved Sweden ...nice to see ..I bet whilst the part was bolted down you put the tap in the chuck to start your thread off a few turns so you have a perfectly aligned thread not c**k eyed ?

Last edited:
@greywolfhound
Thanks, yes I was paying attention to get the new thread perfectly aligned so I did just what you said; I had the tap in the chuck for the first turns.
This is not near my actual profession, but I do get a satisfaction of doing things myself and find it quite fun to do this kind of jobs.
I have by the way been to UK a few times, and I really like both the country and the mindset of people. Last time was in Birmingham and Wales area.

Back