Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
At last I know what it is - I thought it was just me!

audi.JPG

Audi A2 TDI SE Azure Blue with Climate Control

Cow noises under the bonnet!
I am the owner of an A2 TDI SE and I am experiencing the cow noises under the bonnet. I have only had the car for three weeks and the noise is getting progressively worse. I took the car to Lancaster Audi in Manchester and they had the car for a week and said that the noise was normal and that nothing could be done. I then rang Smith Knight Fay in Stockport and they said that they could do a mod on the valve, the car in now booked in for next week for them to carry out this work. I will let you know how I get on, and if the cow noises stop!

Hi Steve (Mott),

Welcome to the forum. I would be interested to know what exactly they are going to mod. Could you try and find out what they did? Thanks

Kaine

Mine went away on their own.
I don't have free milk now but there is more room under the bonnet.

icon_smile_cool.gif

Mott - welcome to the forum.
After you car has had the work done at Stockport, please can you try and find out from them exactly what they did so that each of us can try and get it done at our dealers?

Also, is it being done under warranty?

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE:http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk1.htm Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

A2OC Website | A2OC Merchandise | A2OC Forum

Never heard a single bovine noise on my LHD A2. Maybe it's a RHD thing ??

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I have the 'mad cow' noise - but not all the time. The inly time the moo starts is when I'm in a long traffic jam (think M6) when I'm contiually stop - starting. After about 30 mins of this type of driving the cow is unleashed every time I set off from rest. However it disappears again after a long run.

On another point something has started to rattle again behind the dash - this time it vibrates when I start off!! Another trip to the dealer I think. Mott - might see you at Lancaster Old Trafford?

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

I'd like to know too. Mine does it intermittently. Car was bought from Leeds, but I'd be willing to travel over to Stockport if they have a fix, even better get to know what Stockport do and I'll relay this to Leeds. Autoexpress said it was the clutch, but my extensive testing proves this is not the case.

We've had our 1.4TDI for 10 days now and I've got to the stage where I choose to drive the A4 because the mooing sound is driving ne MAD!![}:)]

The noise occurs just about every time I depress the throttle. I'm sure when we bought it, it was only intermittent and fairly quiet. Now, It's just about every time we use the throttle and VERY LOUD!

The dealer we bought it from is going to investigate next week.

I hope they can cure it because "that noise" just puts me off driving it!

[29]
tikki

A2 1.4TDI SE - 108 BHP - Pine Green
A4 1.9TDI SE - 137 BHP - Black with Cream Leather

I have a similiar problem but it look like a 2ton cow running inside the engine! :) LOL
At 3000 rpm, in 5th gear, climbing a hill if I depress tottaly the throttle the engine starts to roar, the dash and gear stick start to vibrate real bad.
I will go to my dealer next 22nd.
This happens at all temperatures (inside and outside), and since the day I bought the car...
It has 14.000 Km now...

Cheers,
A2day

Speed doesn't kill... sudden deacceleration does!
small1.jpg
Audi A2 1.4 TDI
See it > http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/europe26.htm

Mine mooing cow is gagged after i took mine to Listers Audi of Coventry. They moved and re-routed the pipes and this valve thing to somewhere else and I am now enjoying quieter motoring.

Sorry it’s taken so long to get back to you all. The car was booked in Wednesday 9th July and they have fixed the mad cow noise. They carried out the repair under warranty so it was a free fix. To sort out the problem they changed the pipes from the EGV valve from plastic to rubber, so this stops the vibration from the valve. The mad cow noise has gone completely and the engine is relatively quiet now, Smith Knight and Fay in Stockport were very helpful, the car was booked in at 8am and was ready for collection at 12 noon. I will monitor it now and let you know if the mad cow noise comes back, but I don’t think it will. Bye for now! Steve

Just got my EGR valve fixed at Hartwell AUDI in Warrington

My A2 went was with my dealer all day today.
They said that they chose not replace the pipes but instead fitted a new EGR valve which came 'modified' from the factory. Not sure how exactly it has been modified, but I didn't hear a single moo all the way home, so I guess only time will tell how effective the new valve is.
The good news is that it was all done under warranty.

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE:http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk1.htm Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

A2OC Website | A2OC Forum

Thanks Stuart!!

I don't know if my 'Moo' is typical or not but it has got progressively louder over the last two weeks. It is now VERY noisy and occurs every time the throttle is depressed.

This week, whilst doing about 3700 rpm in third, accelerating away from a roundabout, I had a sudden loss of power. The engine still ran OK but there was absolutely no acceleration. Speed dropped from 70 to around 40mph when climbing a hill a few hundred yards further on. Stopping the engine and re-starting it cured the problem but, the same thing happened several times that day.

Looking on another forum, several contributors complain of the same problem with 1.9 VW/Audi TDi engines. The sudden loss of power is caused by the Turbo cutting out. In each case, changing the EGR valve has cured it

Has anyone else had this sudden loss of power??

tikki [30] [21]

Three weeks ago my local dealership diagnosed and ordered a new EGR valve.
Today I took the A2 in to have this fitted, plus another warranty job.
The 'moo' is still there and the Turbo still cuts out when the car is 'pushed'.
The car is booked in for several days at the start of next month to sort the problem out:(
Could the new EGR valve be faulty? [21]

Has anyone else experienced their turbo cutting out ??

tikki

I've never heard my 2002 A2 moo. It would seem that from this thread that the Moo is not inherant to the car but a problem which occurs on some and which can be cured on others. Is it possible to amend the Mooing section on the front page. This article recently put off a person who was otherwise interested in my A2 which was for sale. The fact mine has never mooed was no consolation after Reading the article on here.

2002 TDI SE - Silver - Open Sky System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back