Extened Your VSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RTV

I read somewhere that the VSI (variable service intervals) are decided by many factors like:

> No. of cold starts.
> Lenght of time on choke.
> Oil colour.

The one which interested me was the oil colour, which apparantly is measured by an oil opacity meter in the sump. So my question is if you change your oil yourself will this help extend your vsi interval towards the maximum ?

2002 TDI SE - Silver - Open Sky System

Could be. But you would still need to get the car serviced. When the car is serviced the DIS is reset and you cannot do this yourself.
Someone who works a VW told me that DIS uses all the data you mentioned to calculate the VSI interval. However when the oil gets to dark (to many floating particles) it suddenly says that the car is to ber serviced.

Has anyone had this ?? Does DIS gradually countdown to a service. Or does it say 10.000 km to go one day and service needed the next ?

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I'm not trying to avoid having the car serviced !

I would just like to extend the VSI to its maximum because at the moment on my car it's showing it will need a service at 10,000, where as it used to say 26,000 and I haven't changed my journey or driving style....

2002 TDI SE - Silver - Open Sky System

VSI is basically only an indication that the engine needs servicing. The rest of the car can use some maintenance before that. My carbon air filter (interior air) needs a change for instance.
But the leasecompany won't let me go near the dealer unless DIS is indicating it needs servicing...

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

You can reset the VSI manually. Its explained in the manual.

Thats if you want to

Neil Howells
A2 1.4 SE - Atlantic Blue
Symphony Radio, Electronic A/C

Don't mix VSI (Variable Service Interval) with the interval indicator - or DIS for those who have it.
The indicator mileage is recalculated every 300mi - and shows the number of miles or km till the next service, not the mileage
*at* the next service. You can reset the indicator yourself - but only to regular service intervals (15000 km/10000 miles).

Werner Huysegoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back