Failed MOT

kirin98

HELP!!! I had my car inspected last week and to my unpleasant surprise, Hong Kong's MOT informed me the vehicle's tailgate glass is too dark and thus failed to meet local regulations - the car had just recently arrived from the UK. As the car seems stock to me, I was wondering if anyone can inform me if indeed Audi offered a tint option. My car is equipped with the open sky sunroof so does that have a bearing on the colour of the rear windows and tailgate? I've spoken to a local Audi parts distributor but they weren't sure. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have a sinking feeling that I will need to order an entirely new glass panel...totally gutted...would be even worse if I ordered the wrong part! :(

I hate to think what a custom made piece of glass might cost!:eek:

Maybe you can find a another MOT garage, who could or might "overlook" it.

Hi kirin98
I checked and came up with the same answer as nuttinnew. I'll check in daylight but I'd expect the standard tailgate glass to be no darker than the side windows.
It would be most unusual but is there any possibility the glass on your car has been tinted using window film etc ?

Cheers Spike

Thanks everyone for their respective feedback. As for finding a different garage to inspect my car, I'm afraid such work is done only by government operated establishments. Pretty sure the glass has not been fitted with tinting film so there will be no quick, or inexpensive, fix. Not exactly how I'd imagine being an A2 owner would start...but I still adore this car all the same and am more peeved about local legislation than anything else. :mad:

Audi tint is 30% iirc, which means 70% of light is transmitted. I should check the HK regulations as it seems rather draconian. If Audi tint is fitted (as it was as standard) then all window glass will be the same.

Is yours the only A2 in Hong Kong? If there are others and they have passed the same test, you could surely use this as grounds to demand a re-test.

The strange thing is that I have seen a lone silver A2 here in Hong Kong and was told there is also a black one. A friend told me that these other A2s probably passed MOT as standards were less strict in previous years. Regardless, I WILL find a way to drive this car in HK! :D

I can't really register it anywhere else other than China which would be a lose-lose situation. Not only would I have to pay higher registration tax but to use the vehicle in Hong Kong would require a special permit which would cost more than the price of the car. I will definitely have to stick it out and find a local solution.

Thanks Bret for the link and have now registered...indeed I have not been bitten! As for the year of my A2, it's a 2004 model so that is already the next to last year of production. Perhaps the previous owner of my car had his tailgate changed :confused:

After a little bit of improvising, basically through a local fabricator, I have since passed MOT earlier this week. Just want to thank all those who left a comment for their input.

After a little bit of improvising, basically through a local fabricator, I have since passed MOT earlier this week. Just want to thank all those who left a comment for their input.

Good news! What is exactly was the "improvising"? Were you able to reduce the tint?

To avoid self incrimination - this is a small world after all - let's just say that I had a redesigned A2 that the nice people at MOTdidn't think twice about. :D

Back