false floor?

manhattan$

Past Member
Was the false floor in the boot of an A2 a factory option?
My A2 does not seem to have the false floor, or side mounts?

It was standard on the SE models and a £105 option on everything else.

Cheers Spike

driveforward,

How have you connected your amplifier upto your standard audi headunit? Did you use one of those devices that convert the rear speaker cables to rca phonos?

lyndonbuck said:
I wouldn't worry, its a strange thing that I struggle to find any benefit from

I love it!

We can keep a load of bits and pieces down there such as the boot cover, 2 pairs of wellies, waterproofs and still have the boot looking clean and empty. Also, Mrs Smick does not like to trave light when we go away and we can get her bag in at the same level as the bootlip to make it easier to take out.

Finally, now when we go shopping, we empty the lower part and stick things like veg and bread in the bottom and then close it over so the milk and cans of beans don't damage them.

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker on whether to buy the car but I just reckon it is another fantastic design of the A2

lyndonbuck said:
I wouldn't worry, its a strange thing that I struggle to find any benefit from

I've found the false floor to be unbelievably useful but then again I've got a 1 year old baby.
The buggy sits on the top shelf and all the shopping/ other bits and pieces go underneath.

The boot is really quite small in terms of floor space but very tall. By having a higher and lower shelf it effectively doubles your boot floor space. In my case, I wouldn't buy an A2 without it, unless it was very easy to retro fit of course!

I also love it....it just keeps the main boot compartment so much more tidy.

Plus when, say, one or both of the rear seat backs are folded forward, the lower boot cover is level with the seat backs.

audis2image5.jpg

This is what it was designed for,, and it fits like a glove and seriously out of sight...

They can be retro-fitted, needing two support rails and the floor itself.

I'd budget for about £150 at dealer prices.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi jamjia
I thought the side panels were also different but Skipton is usually right on these matters. I have a spare side panel in the garage after fitting a new one for the boot mounted cd changer so i'll take a look and see how the support rails fit.

Cheers Spike

Actually Spike, you're right! There is a specific part number listed for models with a 'higher cargo platform'.

The side panels can have holes cut at the appropriate places (the workshop manual calls it "rework as necessary"), but apart from that and a few clips, the side panels are the same. To be honest, the false floor is a mixed blessing - on the one hand it does provide an extra load platform, but on the other, I usually fill the lower part with crap and useless junk!

Cheers,

Mike

I've just counted up and there are 54 different part numbers listed for the left and right side boot trims!!!!!!!

No, that's not including colours either. Add in the cd changer trim and that number goes up to 68. That means 34 different parts per side, in say 3 different colours, which equals 102 permutations per side.

Staggering. It's no wonder that Audi never made money on the A2 - they could do with rationalising their designs a little.

Cheers,

Mike

Back