Information FAO A2 Owners - How Practical is the A2 as a mums car?

pjrouse

I know this is a daft question but my wife is expecting our first and we are looking at A2's to replace her aging Yaris. Just how practical is an A2 for a mums runabout (carting baby and buggy around and doing the shopping etc)

We've had a look at one and the wife is smitten, but I was wondering how good the boot space is when a buggy etc is crammed in?

Any reports from the field?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Although I am no expert on mums stuff, my other half drives a Yaris (Mk1 version) and so I am qualified to give a comparitive opinion:

The A2 is a bigger car on the inside than the Yaris and is a lot better to drive, although it's not as floaty, suspension wise.

The driving position is similar - you are still high up, although you do feel a little more like you're sat in the A2, rather than sat on the Yaris!

The one thing to note is that the clutch throw is much longer on the A2 - my other half is only scraping 5' tall, and has real difficulty in changing gear from a standing start, so do a test drive if you can first.

Otherwise, the A2 is a MUCH better car than the Yaris and if you go diesel, it's just as reliable than the venerable Toyota too.

Cheers,

Mike

Welcome to the club and congratulations on your impending arrival. We have a 7 month old and I cant begin to tell you what a joy this time is.

See the following thread for all you need to know. We bought the A2 after Fi fell pregnant. There was much research carried out on what to replace our quirky wee Lupo with and she wanted an A2 - great taste my Mrs! :D

The A2 has never disappointed in terms of cabin space for a baby and all the associated stuff you need to lug around. To future proof it we have a set of roof bars and I'll be buying a roof box at some time, but at the moment its not needed. if youre smitten with the A2 - get one! ;)

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6918&highlight=mums

Last edited:
I know this is a daft question but my wife is expecting our first and we are looking at A2's to replace her aging Yaris. Just how practical is an A2 for a mums runabout (carting baby and buggy around and doing the shopping etc)

We've had a look at one and the wife is smitten, but I was wondering how good the boot space is when a buggy etc is crammed in?

Any reports from the field?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hi Paul

We have had our A2 now for a year and have a 13 month old boy. 2 days ago we drove back to Manchester from Newquay in Cornwall after a weeks holiday with the following in the back of the A2....

1 Full sized suitcase containing about 4 bloody months of clothes for 3 people!! (wife packs 8 outfits for an overnight stay! You know what I mean!!)

1 Small suitcase for our darling infants clothes (the type you take on board a plane as hand luggage and drag around with an extending handle)

1 MASSIVE sports bag containing God knows what and a 12 year olds belongings.

1 small sports bag containing lifes essentials (hairdryer, hairspray, more cosmetics than the national output of France annually!! etc etc)

1 enormous carrier bag full of towels

A bag of various food stuffs bought on the way home

A body board (a small surf board)

A Greco pushchair

We removed the floor panel to get all this in but is DOES go in and I still managed to get home on less than a full tank of fuel (325+miles) with all this in, 2 adults a 12 year old and a child in baby seat despite getting caught up in Glastonbury traffic and being held up for 3 hours on the M5/M6 due to rain.

Now my gran has a Yaris, one of the new ones and would have to stop after the suitcase so if you're in any doubt about what car to choose....

Have fun!!

Si:)

Back