Farewell A2 in Top Gear Magazine

Skipton01

Admin Team
There is a full page editorial in this months TG mag about the sad demise of the A2.

It obviously wasn't penned by Jeremy Clarkson, who seemingly detests anything that does more than 20mpg or costs less than £30k. It is rather sad though that we might not have witnessed the early cessation of the A2 if this same magazine had been more encouraging of it in the first place, instead of calling it a pointless car, or 'just another piece of Audi automotive jewellery'.

The author goes to some length to point out that it was built like a proper Audi, with more space available than in the A3 (apart from the Sportback) and that it was extremely fuel efficient and beautifully designed.

The article concludes that the A2 is a brilliant vehicle, beset by monetary problems - ie it cost too much to buy, not necessarily to make though.

It finishes by saying that the only people who could really afford the A2 were the sort of people who don't appreciate the advances it made - how true!

I know that the A2 will become a future classic, and possibly quite quickly too. I'm also certain that most of us on this forum will still be driving our A2s long after Mr Clarkson has passed into the mists of televisual obscurity.

OK, here endeth the sermon, normal service resumed!

That sounds like a very interesting article. What is the name of the magazine exactly? I'd like to try to find one here in France.

I too am convinced that the A2 will become a future classic.

Verdaine - the magazine is called "BBC Top Gear" and is, as you'd expect, the magazine version of the TV show.

ULP, I actually like Clarkson, although he is utterly wrong about a lot of things, but then again, he is, just like me, a Yorkshireman - and you know what they say: You can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell 'em much"

I bought the magazine this morning and the article is very positive about the A2 and the writer even had the A2 down as his car of the year on its launch.

I noticed on the Audi web site that they had removed the A2 from the new car selection so I wonder how many cars remain in stock.

The used section seems to be getting smaller and I guess in 6 months most of the demo cars will have been sold off as well.

Antony

"The more I read the article, the angrier I get now the A2 is out of production. I can see this being my last Audi..."

You cant really blame Audi

They took the risk and showed the imagination to build the A2 and full credit to them

Its the consumers who didnt buy the car in sufficient numbers

Still as the article says,BMW sold 10 minis to every A2.In my neck of the woods minis are everywhere.Stopped counting the number of gunmetal cooper s's around

Its nice to have a relatively exclusive car

regards

Antony

A2 farewell in Top Gear

Hi. Is it the December issue or November??I´m running to the mag. store...

Jossi

Hmm, I can't quite make out whether I like it or not. In profile it's clearly A3-esk, but from the front it looks too squashed, like it's already been in an accident. I hope it gets the go-ahead to rival the A-class.

A2

Hi,

Just looked at the link, is this the new shape of the A2? Sorry can't read German!
It has the new grill as on all the other new A4's etc!

When was the last A2 made then?

i hear that as well as not having an Aluminium frame, it will also be the same floor pan as the VW Polo. Which means that it will also be the same as a SEAT and SKODA. that can't be right

I agree Emm, but don't forget that that true design classic, the TT, is based on the same chassis as the Golf and A3 and Leon.

Can't abide that car in the photo - looks like a Vauxhall to me, especially the wings and bonnet area. Stick with my superior (if older) A2 thanks!

Accepting designs move on and all that but what are Audi on if they think this is good enough? Current A2 = individual, character, style, space, packaging, cool. Next Gen A2 = squished A3 meets Golf plus, normal, boring. Come on Audi, do something original again. Like the recent pictures of the planned TT replacement. The original will always be a design classic so why not do a Porsche 911 with it and just make subtle changes to bring it on?

Back