Fastest way to replace water thermostat without removing alternator

audifan

A2OC Donor
After having problems tightening up the lower bolt after replacing the thermostat I looked around at other peoples suggestions as to how to do it and found this to be the fastest and easiest way to remove and refit the housing.
Remove the spring clip that secures the hose to the thermostat housing, I used thin mole grips but there are special pliers for the job. Place a rag just below the housing between the alternator to catch the bolt if you drop it. I then used a 1/4" 3/8" ratchet ring spanner and inserted a 5mm bit after wrapping a small amount of tape around the bit to secure it in the ratchet. Not sure if all a2 thermostat housings have the 10mm bolt with the internal 5mm hex but that was the case with my 1.4 diesel. Using the ratchet ring spanner and bit it is now literally a 10 minute job to remove and refit the 2 bolts and housing. You will loose some coolant when you disconnect the hose and remove the housing try to catch it with a take away container. Twist the old thermostat to remove it ,clean out any residue and insert and twist to lock new thermostat. MAKE SURE YOU USE NEW SEAL when you reassemble the housing. Place housing against block and fit and torque the 2 bolts, I did the upper one first so it was just starting to torque up then inserted and torqued the lower bolt finally torquing upper bolt. Remove rag refit hose and the dreaded spring clip, top up coolant and run to bleed out the air and check for leaks. Top up the expansion tank and drive the car to properly heat everything up. Let engine cool and check expansion tank level, top up again as required. I kept an eye on the level for a couple more trips just to make sure level was OK. Using this method there is no need to remove the alternator / drive belt etc. Hope this helps others.

Hi DJ 190 wasn't stealing your thunder, i read various ways and my method is very similar to your method just trying to help others

Back