Fatigue at door hinge incl wind noise

lucy

Hello,

Car went in for service, came out and I noticed excessive wind noise from drivers door. I drive to work before sunrise, and come home after sunset, so never noticed how the door looked. Don't use car at weekend, and so it was only when left work early, in daylight hours, that I noticed marking on the edge of front wing where door seems to be clipping, when opened, and doesn't seem correctly aligned.

Audi Newcastle have my car booked in next week, but as yet haven't clarified whether there will be a charge for rectifying what I understand to be a latent defect.

Is there anything I need to refer to, state, or have ready in response to the dealership stating that I need to pay, what I expect to be, costly labour and repair charges?

Please advise.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?p=90308#post90308.
This has been covered in some detail in the above thread, more experianced members will be along to help soon, but either you may have the door cracking around the top hinge of the door or your hinges are defective in some other way.
I noticed a small crack appearing on top edge of the top hinge of both front doors, if you open the door wide and run your finger along the top edge of the hinge you may well feel a slight sharp bump which in my case was the crack.
I had my car repaired with a hinge kit which strenghens the whole hinge area and was done free of charge and took a day.
See post number 433 on the above link, which was writen by Skipton01. I used this info to get the repair done for free.

Ho yes and another thing, welcome to the A2 owners club site!

Fatigue

Thank you for responding so quick. Before registering on A2OC I had searched and never came across 433.

I have contacted Audi Customer services but they didn't seem to accept the issue as being anything they could advise about.

Once again, thanks.

Thank you for responding so quick. Before registering on A2OC I had searched and never came across 433.

Welcome to the A2OC, you can be forgiven for not finding post 433 on the most viewed and longest thread on the forum! Hope you get it all sorted soon :D

Edit: the wind noise is quite common on Audi A2 doors, a wee characteristic. I fix our drivers door occasionally by applying gentle inward pressure to the upper frame ( whilst the window is fully down) this lasts a few months, then you need to repeat. This doesnt fully eradicate the wind noise but its markedly improved.

Last edited:
loosening the TX40 bolts on the rear of the door should sort this?!

I'll try and take a photo or two while I'm downstairs later.

Bret

loosening the TX40 bolts on the rear of the door should sort this?!
Tried that too Bret - as have the Audi bodyshop when they did my hinge repair. I have found the less technical method works best as loosening then nipping up the tx bolts doesnt have the same effect. :)

Lucy, if Audi customer services dont help you out with this, let the forum know. Skipton has a contact at Audi UK - all A2's are covered by a free warranty repair on the front hinges.

Last edited:
Unlucky with Services

Probably just coincidence, or something happened in service bay to cause a more speedy appearance of cracks at hinge, hence door doesn't align, and so doesn't seal at top, and therefore wind noise.

(As I say, unlucky with services... Days before warranty ran out, car came out of service department and when air con used, noticed noise from centre vent. The closing mechanism operated normally, but air still passed through, so noise couldn't be stopped. Dealership looked at it, free of charge, but then informed me that it would cost £200+ to be repaired. Never got it done.)

Hopefully, I'll have enough to confirm that it will be rectified FOC.

Thanks to all who have advised.

Change of plans!

Emailed Audi service dept to clarify no charge, and was contacted back saying they couldn't tell me.
Car was already booked in for 2 days following an initial inspection (some chap from service dept came outside, saw the cracks, recognised the issue, stated that it would take two days, and briefly outlined the procedure) several weeks ago.
Now been told that need an inspection, approx 30mins, findings to be sent to Audi, and depending on their assessment, I will either be charged, or not.

Does this sound familiar with anyone?

Now been told that need an inspection, approx 30mins, findings to be sent to Audi, and depending on their assessment, I will either be charged, or not. Does this sound familiar with anyone?

Familiar - yes. Its complete BS though. Print off the technical bulletin that skipton posted previously (as per link on post 2) and request that the dealer review their position, or pehaps try another franchise? If you get no joy thr 'big guns' on the A2OC will help out as has been the case with many other owners who have had the runaround from the dealer network. The hinge cracking is warrantied regardless of age, service history or mileage and its 100% free to the customer thanks to Mike's hard graft.

Thanks. Will do as you suggest!

UPDATED

Thanks to your posts I was prepared and able to ensure compliance by Audi. Got the issue resolved, and happy.

Last edited:
Back