Fault 17588

Novelka

Hi guys,

as I recently had a scan due to EPC light being on, I thought I'll post some results I had, as it may come in useful for somebody in the future.

I had two faults coming up in the scan:

1. break light switch - easyly fixed, recent part price - 8.50 +vat, labour 5 quid

2. fault 17588, intermittent.
More misterious one, as they didnt know it at the garage, nor could they research it.

I've pm-ed Mike and he, as one could ecpect, gave me an answer straight away. Here's his reply:

Skipton01 said:
fault is related to the oxygen sensor and is sometimes related to a low voltage battery - if your A2 has the original one in there (identifiable from having a part number starting 8Z0 . . . . . . on it) then I'd think about getting a new one certainly before winter.

You can check the battery condition yourself if you have a multi meter - just set the meter to read DC volts and measure the voltage directly across the battery terminals with the engine off and the ignition off. It should be around 12.7 volts. Anything less than 12 means the battery is pretty much shot and this will be causing your problems.

Cheers,

Mike

Hope this helps somebody in the future.

And thanks goes to Mike:)

Back