faulty air con

apug66

Hi,

I've had problems with my air con not blowing cold so I had it regassed but it didn't make any difference. The local garage didn't know what was wrong with it but have said they know an air con guy who would charge £50 to diagnose the problem. I thought I would try the vcds-lite software to see if it could give me a clue and it returned the following:

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.0

Control Module Part Number: 8Z0 820 043 F

Component and/or Version: A2-KLIMAVOLLAUTOMAT 0510

Software Coding:

Work Shop Code:

7 Faults Found:

01272 - Positioning Motor for Central Flap (V70)

41-10 - Blocked or No Voltage - Intermittent

01271 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

41-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

00716 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

41-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

00727 - Potentiometer in Positioning Motor for Defrost Flap (G135)

30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

00601 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

30-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

00600 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

30-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

00818 - Sensor for Evaporator Outlet Temperature (G263)

30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions from anyone?

many thanks in advance,

Al

new parts should be under a ton, but it's a pain to replace. There's lots on this on the forums, try exercising the flaps first with a "stellglieddiagnose" (search on that) and then see what happens. It helped mine, but they still need replacing.

Bret

new parts should be under a ton, but it's a pain to replace. There's lots on this on the forums, try exercising the flaps first with a "stellglieddiagnose" (search on that) and then see what happens. It helped mine, but they still need replacing.

Bret

do you know roughly what a garage would charge for replacing them?

cheers for your help btw,

Al

Forget the flaps for the time being and concentrate on the 0818 fault - the evaporator outlet sensor.

Humps (I think) had this fault and managed a replacement himself - you may be able to solve your own problem here with a little help from him/searching threads.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike is right, I did have G263 evaporative sensor fault, persistently registered on my car when my air/con wasn't running. However, in my case, it wasn't the real issue, my compressor was dying and the car thinks that sensor was at fault. Spike on the other hand had a geniune G263 sensor fault (IIRC). It requires a full dashboard removal to replace, which I've also done. To summarise, with that fault, your a/c will only work at something like 30% of max capacity as it can't be sure it will not damage the rest of the a/c components. So you'll find some coldness (if your compressor hasn't died yet) compared to when a/c is completely off (ECON light switched ON)

I'm in a rush, will try to find you the old thread, if you haven't searched it in the mean time.

Hi Al
This is one of the threads on the G263 sensor fault - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4542&highlight=g263
And this schematic shows where everything is located - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2973&d=1236108437
As already indicated, its a dash out job to fix most problems with the aircon. If you take the plunge and are looking for someone to do the job, contact Skipton. Its a bit of a drag from Whitley Bay but would be worth the drive as he is the expert, having changed several dashboards (single to double din) for club members.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Hi Al
This is one of the threads on the G263 sensor fault - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4542&highlight=g263
And this schematic shows where everything is located - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2973&d=1236108437
As already indicated, its a dash out job to fix most problems with the aircon. If you take the plunge and are looking for someone to do the job, contact Skipton. Its a bit of a drag from Whitley Bay but would be worth the drive as he is the expert, having changed several dashboards (single to double din) for club members.

Cheers Spike

yeah I think you may be right. it may cost me a lot more in the long run if I go to a local garage and they try to diagnose it themselves . . . .

Is there no way of knowing for sure exactly what the problem is? Could it be a case of having the dash out to replace something, paying a lot of money and it turns out that it was a different problem?

I actually had somne cold air yesterday but when I used the car later on it was gone again . . . :(

It may be possible to check the G263 sensor without removing the dash and this is covered in one of the threads I posted above.
Its also worth cycling the flap motors - more info here - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=92113&postcount=4
After that you are relying on VagCom to determine which parts are faulty. However, it's always worth inspecting related wiring and checking and clearing fault codes several times before changing parts

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
It may be psooible to check the G263 sensor without removing the dash and this is covered in one of the threads I posted above.
Its also worth cycling the flap motors - more info here - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=92113&postcount=4
After that you are relying on VagCom to determine which parts are faulty. However, it's always worth inspecting related wiring and checking and clearing fault codes several times before changing parts

Cheers Spike

What do you think I should do first then, get a full scan done?

What do you think I should do first then, get a full scan done?

Sorry, From your first post I assumed you had a version of VagCom. If not, try cycling the flaps manually - Change temp from coldest to hottest setting several times and also cycle the windscreen defrost and footwell control buttons up and down. Clear the fault codes and have another scan done after a few days and see if anything has changed.
I think there is another procedure for freeing off the flaps which may be worth a try. Not sure if can only be done with the motors removed but I'll try and find the thread.
Start thinking about the dashboard removal if the fault codes don't go away.

Cheers Spike

Sorry, From your first post I assumed you had a version of VagCom. If not, try cycling the flaps manually - Change temp from coldest to hottest setting several times and also cycle the windscreen defrost and footwell control buttons up and down. Clear the fault codes and have another scan done after a few days and see if anything has changed.
I think there is another procedure for freeing off the flaps which may be worth a try. Not sure if can only be done with the motors removed but I'll try and find the thread.
Start thinking about the dashboard removal if the fault codes don't go away.

Cheers Spike

I have a gendan cable and the shareware version of vcds-lite. I presumed this wouldn't cycle the flaps?

I'll try doing it through the controls.

cheers

Back