Faulty injector #1

Hi, I have a sorry tale but I'll keep it brief. I had to have a recon engine fitted about 4 months ago. When I picked it up the car wouldn't start and he had it for another 2 weeks 'sorting it out', during the run in period there was some slight hesitation when cold but nothing alarming. Now that the 500 mile oil change has been done and I have been driving it normally I have had the following problems:
. non-starting, cranking over 6 - 7 times would eventually start with a cough and splutter
. Ran ok except under acceleration when there was definite hesitancy, once running though it never cut out
. then, non-starting and when started ran for a bit (on , 3 cyl) then stopped, finally coughing into life
. finally turning over and not starting.

The slight hesitancy was over a period of a couple of months but the escalation to the final point was rapid over a couple of weeks. Back to the same garage and all he has done is put on diagnostics which has told him faulty No 1 injector which he wants to replace a £#,###? dont know yet but is going to be expensive. My questions:
Can one faulty injector really stop the car from starting at all, would it not cough and splutter and try to run on 2 cyl?
If the fuel filter and pump etc are OK but its not firing up would it not reak of fuel?
Does the above sound like a typical pattern of a failure of an injector?
Anyone know where you can get reconditioned ones?

Hope someone can advise, thanks v much

1 failed injector would cause a misfire, i would try a speciifc fuel injector specilist to check them for you, one fault i had with my 2001 tdi, when i took it to be serviced by an independant, they fitted a pattern fuel filter, and that mad starting a problem, it was like i was priming the engine again, if you know what i mean.

John

Faulty #1 injector

Hi thanks for the replies. I wouldnt say I had a misfire, it either started and ran or didn't start at all, though as I say there was hesitation when under load if that is what you would describe as a misfire. The mechanic said that the diagnostic pointed to the faulty injector. Would the other faults you mention give the same type of error code? Would it be the case that the car wouldnt even attempt to start with only one injector down? The car never cut out once running. It was only ever a problem first thing in the morning or after being left all day at work and then trying to start to come home ie when it had been left standing for a number of hours. Thanks

Hi, I have a sorry tale but I'll keep it brief. I had to have a recon engine fitted about 4 months ago. When I picked it up the car wouldn't start and he had it for another 2 weeks 'sorting it out', during the run in period there was some slight hesitation when cold but nothing alarming. Now that the 500 mile oil change has been done and I have been driving it normally I have had the following problems:
. non-starting, cranking over 6 - 7 times would eventually start with a cough and splutter
. Ran ok except under acceleration when there was definite hesitancy, once running though it never cut out
. then, non-starting and when started ran for a bit (on , 3 cyl) then stopped, finally coughing into life
. finally turning over and not starting.

The slight hesitancy was over a period of a couple of months but the escalation to the final point was rapid over a couple of weeks. Back to the same garage and all he has done is put on diagnostics which has told him faulty No 1 injector which he wants to replace a £#,###? dont know yet but is going to be expensive. My questions:
Can one faulty injector really stop the car from starting at all, would it not cough and splutter and try to run on 2 cyl?
If the fuel filter and pump etc are OK but its not firing up would it not reak of fuel?
Does the above sound like a typical pattern of a failure of an injector?
Anyone know where you can get reconditioned ones?

Hope someone can advise, thanks v much

Faulty injector in TDI is dangerous if you drive with it for some time it can burn hole in piston. When you have one, obviously the car wont start at all. This was a case with my engine and previous car owner, he have not noticed that engine sounds different because of this damage injector and drove with this for some time. To diagnose such case you have to check cylinders pressure.

I also had a misfire problem, which was also resolved simply by replacing the injector wiring harness.

Back