Feedback for Skipton01

Hi all,

I have been in contact with Mike (Skipton01) for a couple of months, arranging several pieces of work to be carried out on my stock 1.4TDi SE (75). I chose Mike for the work based on his posts, and the responses from A2OC members, on this forum.

I am a competent, self-taught, engine mechanic who has several cars (all older than 1974, so no computer software required to “tune/programme” them).

My aim was to have the work carried out while I watched/learned/asked questions, so in the future I could perform routine maintenance/servicing with the knowledge I would be able to look after my vehicle without needing to pay Audi’s labour charges.

The work has now been done, and I thought it would be useful to any new A2OC members to hear genuine and honest feedback regarding Mike and his work/ethics.

The work I had done was as follows:

Full Long-Life service inc. fuel filter and brake fluid change.
HID installation.
Cruise Control supplied and fitted.
Auto Dipping rear view mirror supplied and fitted.
Second remote key coded (as I only had one key when the car was purchased).
Cambelt change and VCDS (guidance only).

Mike resides just off Saddleworth Moor in the Pennines. There isn’t the luxury of free espresso coffee and a comfortable heated waiting area as found at my local dealership, and a full day there in December can be chilly (although the cold doesn’t seem to bother Mike at all). However, if, as me, you are interested in what is being performed on your car, and want to view all the procedures and ask questions it is perfect.

Mike is a very genuine, honest, articulate, thorough and funny person. From the outset it was clear he was more than happy to impart his wealth of knowledge of the A2. Mike was happy for me to “get in his way” while he was working, and answered all my questions with full and detailed answers. Throughout the whole day Mike invited me to watch closely as he performed all the work for the list of jobs. At no point did I ever think hrmmm – how did he do that, Mike was totally transparent.

Mike supplied all the parts for the work, and all were OEM. All the work was carried out safely and all tools used were “correct for the job”. Mike was happy to point out what type of tools were needed for certain jobs, and made sure I understood the difference between certain types of tools. There were even handy hints where to purchase certain hard-to-find tools.

Mike builds the wiring looms himself, and the attention to detail is just right. His care with someone else’s car is as we would all hope, but rarely receive. The routing of all cables is carefully chosen to avoid fouling with other components.

I had not met Mike before yesterday, although we have PM’d each other on many occasions, and can only say what a thoroughly nice bloke he is.

The A2 is not an overly complex car but, as with most cars, there are some things you can only do well once you see for yourself how they should be done.

If anyone is wondering if they should make use of Mike’s services to gain a better understanding of “how to do it right first time” I would strongly advise IT IS.
And if you don’t have the urge to crawl under the car yourself, but need to know your car has been well serviced, again I would recommend Mike.

Mike – It was a pleasure to meet you. Thank you very much for your hard work and tuition. I look forward to attending some social events in the coming year and meeting you again.

Cheers

Jeff

I have not, as yet, had any work done on my car by 'Skipton Services' but Mike's excellent advice (towards which I was pointed by 'the grim reeper') has saved me £800+ that the 'professionals' at my local Audi dealer asserted was the only way I could cure an indicated diagnostic problem with the control flaps on my car's climate control.

Mike's fix took 5 minutes and has resulted in a perfectly functioning climate control system ever since.

Superb!

Having had my car long-life 'Skipton' serviced earlier this year on a thoroughly miserable wet BBQ summers day(!) i can also say an excellent job and plenty of usefull general ownership and maintanence tips thrown in!

Me too! I can vouch for Mikes excellent workmanship and attention to detail - he recently fitted an ipod connection to our A2 and all i can say is that the work and fit and finish after the job had been completed is exactly as you would want it to be had you conducted it yourself. I am very pleased with what he has done, and he even added a couple of bonuses as well, which was a nice surprise!

Thanks Mike!

I can thoroughly recommend Mike's services to anyone!

We too had Skipton fit cruise control for us plus he has answered a lot of questions via PM'ing and never seems to tire of my stupid questions/worries/naivety! Not only has he saved us money but he has also put my mind at rest of several occasions.

My only complaint is where he lives as I am in Kent!

No doubt this post will thoroughly embarass you Mike but its only the recognition you deserve!

Lisa

Skipton)1 feed back

hi All
Agree with everything above I drive around chuffed with my second hand purchase not because of Audi or there 100 point check But because Mikes seen it and says its good
As stated in other posts a genuine nice help full bloke who always answers your questions (no matter how daft or how many times they've been answered before) Worth his weight in gold (though I bet he has an aluminum bone structure )
A happy christmas and good new year
Thanks again :)

...just wanted to add to this post again. Visited Skipton Auto's Monday just gone and again nothing but high praise for Mike's workmanship.

Thanks again buddy. See you soon with further wish list mods! ;)

Ditto all of the above, I went to "Skipton Autos" last week for long life service,filters etc + HID installation + more
Great service, great chap, look forward to meeting Mike again in the near future. I would recommend Mikes servicecs without a doubt, he is a real "fountain on knowledge"
Cheers Mike

The man that we all call Skipton01 is a diamond,first class workmanship,ultra knowledgeable,very helpful and a nice guy.

This is all rather embarrassing folks - many thanks to all of you who have commented, but all I'm doing is treating people as I'd like to be treated - it's not rocket science in my book!

Very flattering and appreciated non-the-less.

Cheers,

Mike

This is all rather embarrassing folks - many thanks to all of you who have commented, but all I'm doing is treating people as I'd like to be treated - it's not rocket science in my book!

Very flattering and appreciated non-the-less.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike your too modest fella attention to detail helpfulness and most of all honesty is hard to find these days.
All too often garages offer the services you do but rarely delivery the service you do as i say you are a diamond hard to find and even harder to beat.

Last edited:
I have not, as yet, had any work done on my car by 'Skipton Services' but Mike's excellent advice (towards which I was pointed by 'the grim reeper') has saved me £800+ that the 'professionals' at my local Audi dealer asserted was the only way I could cure an indicated diagnostic problem with the control flaps on my car's climate control.

Mike's fix took 5 minutes and has resulted in a perfectly functioning climate control system ever since.

Superb!

This is just from listening to Mike talk his way through the car and i have a habit of taking and recallying silly little things like that.

He is one in a million and i'm glad i know him and i'm very thankfull he is there for any help that may come up with my car and if i feel that i can't do it myself, very happy for him to work on it

Cheers Phil

Service by Skipton01

Just to add, I did a commute from Glasgow to Mossley to get the car serviced a couple of months ago. Look forward to coming down next year. Excellent job and will be keeping the A2 due to a Mikes honesty and trustworthiness on these cars.

This is all rather embarrassing folks - many thanks to all of you who have commented, but all I'm doing is treating people as I'd like to be treated - it's not rocket science in my book! Very flattering and appreciated non-the-less.

Embarrasing? - aye right - you love it! :p

Seriously though, there is a growing cadre of A2 owners visiting (and travelling some notable distance to) Mossley for work and assistance with their cars, in addition to the invaluable support and dedication Mike provides to the forum.

May I suggest that one of our administrators 'stickys' this thread on the 'servicing repairs assistance' and 'modifications' forum - it could perhaps be merged with another thread that's out there providing similar positive feedback on cruise control fitment and mods?

Some may consider my suggestion as 'advertising' - but I'd argue that this will only make the best advice and assistance more accessable to the forum - after all, this and other threads are examples of unsolicited feedback for great service and would benefit A2 owners both new and those familiar with the club.

Time you had that stamp for the service books and headed invoices made up Mike! ;)

Last edited:
Time you had that stamp for the service books and headed invoices made up Mike! ;)

I wholeheartedly agree! Mike installed cruise control and an iPod conversion on my A2 over the spring/summer, and, as well as some great detailing/paint correction, recently gave it an annual service - good, thorough and conscientious work by someone who's honest, trustworthy, must be one of the UK's greatest and most knowledgeable A2 enthusiasts and a thoroughly decent fellow.

Many thanks for your attention to date, Mike, and looking forward to availing myself of your services in the months to come ..!

David , when my enthusiasm is mirrored so well by your own, then it's always a pleasure!

Murdo, do you know of any rubber stamp suppliers?

Cheers,

Mike

Murdo, do you know of any rubber stamp suppliers?

I'll get one for you as a crimbo gift! ;) Does anyone know what legal issues there are with reproducing the audi corporate logo? PM me with what you would want on a stamp Mike and I'll get it sorted.

Cheers, M

Back