Finally got one!!

brigbeale

Hi all.
My wife and I first thought about an A2 when we passed a local used car dealer and one was on his forecourt.
It was a petrol model and so we asked about a test drive. The dealer was willing and off we set on a test drive in a large square along various roads.
The moment we drove off, my wife and thought 'this is something special'.
About half way round the intended route as we approached traffic lights at a crossroad, there was a loud twang and something hit the bottom of the car. I instantly looked in the mirror but didn't see anything.
The light went green and I drove around the corner and parked the car.
Not knowing anything about the A2, I asked the dealer if he had any idea what it was. He reckoned it was something off the car in front but I didn't see anything and I was driving.
He walked back and then returned after a couple of minutes and said he couldn't find anything, so I went to have a look.
About 10 meters away from the lights more or less where I had stopped, in the gutter, was half a turn of a coil spring.
I picked it up and walked back to the car where the dealer was telling my wife that it definitely wasn't anything to do with the car.
I started the engine and turned the wheels on full lock and looked under the wheel arch and found the left spring had broken and the bit in my hand was a perfect match.
I gave it to the dealer who was really not that surprised and passed it off as 'one of those things.
During the drive back, he promised the car would be given a full inspection before we bought it.
Needless to say, we didn't bother as this put us off A2's

Anyway, fast forward 2 years and a house move, we were walking our dog and passed one parked up a drive.
This reminded us of the above and how we were impressed by the A2, but tinged by the spring failure.
So we started looking again with a resolve to inspect the springs first!!!.

After a couple of false starts, we decided on the one we have just bought.
Its a 51 plate 1.4 TDI SE in silver with 122000 miles on it, with tax and mot until end July.
A few scratches here and there and couple of bits of trim broken and it need a damned good hoover out (only took me two hours) :eek:
Fortunately for me but sadly there are two A2's in the local scrap yard which yielded the broken trim.

A couple of other niggles/concerns but hopefully it will be a reliable car.

Hi nice story and worthy of a "right of passage" Welcome to A2oc. Hope to see you and your car at a social event this year. cheers mike

Back