Finally got shot of the A2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

runboy

OK, so the title doesn't really do the A2 justice, but the diabolical dealer service does!.

My A2 is going in the next week or two, and tonight I put my order in for a Corola 1.6 T-Spirit.

I will be sad to see the silver bullet go-it's not a bad car at all, the concept is good, and the car is good in many areas, but my experiences have dulled what could have been a good time-and many people on this forum do have many good times with their A2's and dealers-I hope I was unlucky (twice-both A2's have been back to the dealer many times).

It's good to see peoples reactions when they see an A2, and people ask lots of questions when they know what you drive (which I'm sure I won't get with the Toyota!). I'm sure Audi could have a real seller on it's hands if it offered more engine choice and brushed up on it's customer service and quality for the A2. Last week I was given an A6 2.5TDI steptronic as a service car for the day-a sublime motor-how I thought Audi's would be like!.

Hope you don't mind if I stick around the forum-if Stuart doesn't mind I'll keep up the moderating work (not that I do much!) and I hope you can find a space for me at the social in February-I will nestle in between a couple of Golfs!.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

It's a sad day - you're now the fourth person I know to have offloaded their A2. Atleast you're not going for a Golf, there are too many of them around anyway! I trust you'll be moving your A2OC sticker over to your new car!!

To accomodate you all, I'll soon be starting the EA2OC (Ex A2 Owners Club)! Anyway, of course you can stick around...and you're still more than welcome at the social...

2001 TDi SE | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD
It's not too late to register to come to the A2OC social!
www.Audi-A2.co.uk | www.A2Forum.net

Thanks Stuart. Unfortunately, the same Audi dealer also runs Skoda, Merc......and VW in the area so they were all out of my mind when looking for a new motor. Only SEAT are not part of Robinsons-and Castlegate SEAT have got to be one of the best dealers I have known.

I just hope the EX-A2OC doesn't become bigger than the A2OC-only joking.

At the social, we can possible have the Golfs and Corollas leading/tailing the convoy, with the stars of the show in the middle!.

Steve,

I had a good test drive in a Corolla 1.6 T Spirit, and I did like it. Daft as it may seem I got put off because you could only have a black leather interior of the type that had tiny holes in it – which is not good if you have a dog. In addition it meant going without a car for 3 months whilst it was being ordered – which was not the case with VW who were happy to loan me a car during the period. Its funny that one thinks that the “T Spirit” is a lot less in height than an A2, however when I put them up close together I was surprised that this was not the case, and I expect the narrowness of the A2 confuses comparison.

Although the “T Spirit” does not have a top speed greater than an A2 I nonetheless thought the Toyota seemed a lot more lively. The rear passenger leg space is also super relative to an A2. I have to say that I really liked the Toyota metallic charcoal grey paintwork, and the car that I test drove had a nice spoiler on the front which I thought was a must.

I now read in the press that the “T Spirit” is said to be noisy at high speed on the motorway, but to be honest I did not go any faster than 75mph, and I thought it was quieter than an A2. Anyway I’m sure that later on you will be able to make many more constructive comparisons. For sure several people that I know have never had to return their Toyota’s to the dealers for problems, and the dealers generally seem to enjoy a far better reputation than Audi when it comes to quality of service.

Anyway good luck, and although it might sound silly I’m sorry that like myself you experienced too many problems with your A2.

Regards
John Disdale

JDi

I appreciate your thoughts. I test drove a 1.4 VVTi T2 Corolla 3 door (4000 miles on the clock) and was very impressed with it's refinement inside, the solid thunk of doors/hatch when closed, the engine which at one point scared the pants off me due to it's acceleration and the general all round ability of the car. The engine does need revs if you want to make a quick getaway but is fine pootling around town.

The interior is nicely appointed with storage, and a dashboard which is easy on the eye and logical to use considering this was the first time I had driven a Corolla.

I too have read complaints of noise at high speed (above the legal UK limit, but of course none of us ever drives above that should conditions allow do we?) and the front seats have come in for some criticism from some who say after a long drive you notice the lack of support. I mainly drive around town/city and in the 3 hours I had a test drive I didn't notice any seating problems (but a drive to the social in Feb should highlight any problems!).

I opted for the 1.6 T Spirit due to the increased power and equipment levels which are high compared to the A2's price-climate, cd, sunroof, electric windows all round, heated/electric door mirrors, sunroof, front armrest etc.

The colour you mention could be the one I have ordered-a dark grey metallic called "igneous grey" from memory.

So far the dealer experience has been good (but then so was Audi's when I first bought the A2-it went downhill fast from there). Delivery times have come down to a couple of weeks so I hope to be driving it very soon.

Now the majority of the problems on my A2 have been sorted (apart from the new ignition barrel which is now on order so the problem of me not being able to start the car doesn't happen again) I have been enjoying the car more as I haven't had the cloud of niggling problems hanging over my head. It has performed very well in the recent snow and ice we have suffered in the east and I have always felt safe driving the silver bullet.

I will be sorry in some ways to see her go-it has been an experience in car ownership and I wouldn't have been a member of the A2OC or the forum otherwise which has been (and will continue to be) a delight!.

Hi Steve,

Its a real shame regarding all the troubles you have had with AUDI, however I wish you all the best with your new Toyota Baby.

Cheers

Kaine

----------------------------------------------------------
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie

Steve...
Like you, I was also sad to say goodbye to the A2 but there is life on the otherside (albeit VW Golf side):D
Best of luck with the new car, I hope it all works out for the best.

On another point. I've not really had much time over the last few months to keep up to date on the forum events. I hope everyone is OK
JD???? Are you still going to the meet?
I may just be able to make it. Can someone remind what date it was etc?
Roy

Roy - it's on Sunday 9th Feb (assuming we're not all snowed in).

Be good if you could come - there's a space reserved for you between a Golf and a Toyota Carolla. Have the Autosmart pack to give you as well.

Sunday 9th of Feb is OK? I should be there.
Do I need to send you some dosh Stewart?
Have you any overnight stay recommendations?
I would like to come down on Saturday and visit Dover castle and surrounding areas then stay over night on Saturday somewhere near the meet...

A cheque for £5 (per person) would be great.

I'll send you the info via email on hotels.

I was hoping that the convoy drive would end in Dover - even maybe at the castle but I haven't had time to organise this. I think a few others have mentioned visiting the castle - so you may not be alone on Sat pm.

It's a sad evening. Last drive in the A2 and now she's gone....sat here with a few bears to celebrate/drown my sorrows.

Got a Yaris for 2 weeks before I can pick up my Corolla. That's nice.

Stuart-I may have a prize for the social if you want it-a Halfords touch-up kit in Audi silver that I bought for my A2 but never used. Cost £7 approx. Use it for the raffle of something-pointless me having it laying around.

Unless I make a new Austin Powers movie...Silvermember.....

Steve - I reckon you'll be pleased with the Toyota. The model I drove was the T Sport. That was very quiet apart from an exhaust resonance around 75 mph. The dealer told me about that before the test drive, and also said the T Sport was the only one to suffer from it. It's the same engine as in the Celica, and that has a similar problem.
Certainly my experience of the local Toyota dealers is good. They always seem willing to help. I know several people wth Toyotas, and they just never have problems. Very similar to Honda in that respect.
Enjoy!

MartinW

Roy,

Yes failing a snow storm I shall still be going to the social, and I’ve promised Tony Blair that if I visit Dover Castle I will report on any Iraqi submarines lying off the coast. This apparently is where they are expected to attack – allegedly.

Regards
John Disdale

JDi-so there are still some Iraqi's NOT living in the UK to pilot these submarines. Thank goodness for that-I thought we had them all.

On another subject, anyone here staying in a local Travel Inn/Travel Lodge for the social?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back