Finally......

Hass

A2OC Donor
Before I introduce the car I thought I'd give a little background, I've been obsessed with the Audi A2 since they first came out in 2000. I was 20 then and didn't have a licence but always swore I'd get one.

I passed my test in 2003 but couldn't really afford an A2 then as prices were still crazy, I had to settle for my Citroen ZX and she served me well. A year after I bought her I went to look at an 04 FSI Colour Storm in Missano Red somewhere near Stoke, she had a 6 cd changer in the boot and open sky, I was in love. Rang up my dad to say I was binning off the ZX to get the Audi and got talked out of it, a regret I've had ever since.

Moving on to today, I've been looking for an A2 this week as I've recently landed a new job and will need to do a round trip daily commute of about 55 miles. We already have a VW Jetta TSI in the house but I want to keep the miles low on that as it's the family car and my wife will use that to run little one to nursery and errands etc.

The brief was simple, I didn't really want to spend a lot, my budget i guess initially was £2.5k but I didn't mind spending more if the right spec came along. There were a couple of TDI 90's I'd spotted on Autotrader and although the DMF issue made me apprehensive I knew the engines were pretty hardy despite both cars covering over 150k, if serviced and looked after the cars will do moon milage and then some.

Steve B had gone looking at a TDI for me yesterday in his neck of the woods yesterday but the feedback wasn't very good, unfortunately the car had multiple issues.

I'd spotted a FSI colour storm in York which I was meant to look at today and possibly buy, the only real issue being that it had 1 key and so i'd need another one.

Then something amazing happened last night. A car got listed on Autotrader, i started looking through the pictures and the description, I sent a message to Steve and we both agreed it did look too good to be true.

So I went down to Peterborough today and have placed the deposit on the following car:

media-2.jpgmedia-6.jpgmedia-7.jpg

So she's a 52 plate FSI with full Audi service histroy, the car was first register to Audi Smith Knight Fay in Stockport and then a gentlemen from Knutsford bought it. The car has only done 66,000 miles but always serviced at Audi. The car is fully loaded with leather which are a bit worn and really could do with some TLC, they're also heated! yay, I was sad when I got rid of my Astra as heated seats are possibly the best thing ever on those cold mornings in winter. She also has lumbar support, I pressed the buttons and could hear a motor making a noise but can't honestly say I noticed anything happen (possible fault?) The car has all round electric windows. Open Sky which works! and finally it has Bose!!! I'm not sure if it's got the auto dimming mirror, I was too busy on the test drive to notice and it was during the day. An last but not least she has a MFSW with buttons to control the audio settings of the radio.

The only bad thing at present with the car is that there is an electric gremlin with the drivers front window, it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. The car is missing the rear parcel shelf so need to get one of those. The car also has rear parking sensors however when I got back to the dealer and reversed the car back into the spot there was no audible tone so unsure if this another electric gremlin? And the big problem with the car is that it's not had a cam belt change so will book that in as soon as collect her next week.

I ca't wait to pick her up next week and start working on the things that need doing.

Finally a big big thank you to Steve B for your advice, calls and texts the last 2 days, you sir have been a much valuable source of knowledge and wisdom and I can't thank you enough and to meet you in parson, possibly at the next A2OC meet.

It's only been 12 years in waiting but finally, I have the car and the spec that i've always wanted. Saying that, my conscience is now saying why don't I take the Jetta to work and have the Audi as my weekend car...hmmmmmm, nahhhhh.

Last edited:
Congrats! Looks lovely.

I could of taken a look for you, its less than a mile away from me...

You can always nip in for a cup of tea and A2 chat when you collect it

Hi Hass,

I am so glad that you have found the A2 you were looking for.

As for the lumbar support mechanism, it is a tiny "cage" at the bottom of the seat back and so easy to miss.

There is a rear luggage cover on eBay at the moment and it matches the colour of your interior (cream) I believe for £45 and free postage
here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-0...428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27f8608ffc

As for the rear view mirror, if there is a plastic trim attached to the glass that goes from the mirror mount to the top of the screen then you have an auto dimming mirror.

It really was a pleasure to act as a "match maker" between you and your A2.

I am looking forward to more posts and more pictures when you get it.

Well done

Steve B

Great to see the club membership helping out----looks a lovely car and you would be most welcome at the next social. So let me know if you fancy it, I'm sure you will enjoy the evening and a good chin wag out in and around the cars. cheers mike

Hi Hass,

I am so glad that you have found the A2 you were looking for.

As for the lumbar support mechanism, it is a tiny "cage" at the bottom of the seat back and so easy to miss.

There is a rear luggage cover on eBay at the moment and it matches the colour of your interior (cream) I believe for £45 and free postage
here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-0...428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27f8608ffc

As for the rear view mirror, if there is a plastic trim attached to the glass that goes from the mirror mount to the top of the screen then you have an auto dimming mirror.

It really was a pleasure to act as a "match maker" between you and your A2.

I am looking forward to more posts and more pictures when you get it.

Well done

Steve B

Cheers for the heads up on the eBay listing Steve.

Just paid for it!

Can cross that item off the list...

Congrats! Looks lovely.

I could of taken a look for you, its less than a mile away from me...

You can always nip in for a cup of tea and A2 chat when you collect it

Hi Paul,

I'm collecting her all being well on Saturday, I'm catching the train to Peterborough. If you're free I'd be more than happy to grab a cuppa and show yo the new purchase.

Sorry I didn't message you earlier about scouting it. It was literally a spur of the moment thing last night and i called the dealer first thing to save it for me as I was driving all the way from Manchester.

Hi,

The auto mirror looks like this,
Mirror.JPG

If yours doesn't have the plastic cover above it then you have a normal rear view mirror,

You will LOVE the heated seats, they are so evenly heated and the settings mean that you can even leave it set on 1 all the time in this cold weather,
The Audi heated seats are the best I have experienced by far.

Steve B

Hi Paul,

I'm collecting her all being well on Saturday, I'm catching the train to Peterborough. If you're free I'd be more than happy to grab a cuppa and show yo the new purchase.

Sorry I didn't message you earlier about scouting it. It was literally a spur of the moment thing last night and i called the dealer first thing to save it for me as I was driving all the way from Manchester.

If you need collecting from the train station, i can pick you up and take you straight to the dealer.

Looks a great A2, i miss my old OpenSky A2

Hi Steve,

I think it's a normal mirror then as I can recall it was just attached to the window, it didn't have the plastic arm bit covering the top. A shame but not a biggie, I can't grumble for all the other goodies it has.....

I agree about the heated seats, was amazed to find it had 6 settings.

One more thing I missed off to say, the car doesn't have ECC which is a shame, but I guess only another gremlin if it went wrong, I suppose I ca't complain the OSS was working perfectly.

If you need collecting from the train station, i can pick you up and take you straight to the dealer.

Looks a great A2, i miss my old OpenSky A2

That's very generous of you Paul, I might take you up on your offer kind sir

One more thing I missed off to say, the car doesn't have ECC which is a shame, but I guess only another gremlin if it went wrong, I suppose I ca't complain the OSS was working perfectly.

That is not a surprise actually.

I have seen many A2s that have OSS and no climate control and there is a very good reason for it.

In the hot weather you naturally want the OSS open, but if you open it you should turn off the Air con ideally (or you are air conditioning the air around the outside of the car too!!!)

So many people opted for the OSS instead of the Climate control when selecting the factory options. To me it is ideal to have both and so you can decide which you want but I do find myself not opening the OSS on hot days!!! that is a shame.

Steve B

Great to see the club membership helping out----looks a lovely car and you would be most welcome at the next social. So let me know if you fancy it, I'm sure you will enjoy the evening and a good chin wag out in and around the cars. cheers mike

Hi Mike,

The membership has been invaluable and no doubt I will be making a donation very shortly.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make curry night as we have a little one that takes up so much of our time but any socials during the day we'll be sure to try to make it.

Thanks and kind regards
Hassan

Very enjoyable read, nice one, Picking up a new vehicle, is always a good day, whether it be a scooter, work vehicle, or something fancy,... I was in your shoes 16 months ago, after collection you then go through the worry of trying not to break it, by over fiddling..

They`re tougher than you think, and by the amount of enthusiasm that comes from this site, theyre gonna be around for a bit longer than shelf life, and once your an owner the burden is on your head as well..

have fun.. and dont fiddle while ya driving..

Picked up the car today. Many thanks to Paul (Manhattan$) for the lift from the station to the dealer.

All paperwork sorted then a quick drive to the petrol station to fill her up in some BP ultimate. Would have gone to Tesco but I was literally running on fumes.

Stopped off at Paul's for a coffee and chat and to inspect the car.

Paul kindly ran a diagnostics check and no error codes were present. Yay! Saved me going to A2 Cars today however she is booked in for a cambelt and waterpump change on the 13th March and Tony will also do an OSS service and check out a few of the other gremlins such as the parking sensors not quite working and also the heated seat controls seem to swapped around so the passenger one controls the drivers seat and vice versa. Strange.

Drive home was pleasant via the A47 M1 A50 and M6. Didn't push her past 60. Trip computer shows I did over 148 miles, at 50.1mpg and with 450 miles fuel range still left.

That's unbelievable!!!!

Anyway I've just got home, wife has seen the car and is now slightly jealous. Parcel self has been added so thanks for that Steve. Will give the interior a good clean tomorrow me thinks.

What was interesting is that in the Audi folder was a price list for the A2 and the previous owner has marked in yellow what extras have been ordered. The total came to £20,348!!!!

Hi Hass,

VERY pleased for you. It sounds like a really well specced FSI, really looking forward to seeing it.

I wonder what model of A2 you are going to get for the wife, I am betting that it will be just a matter of time before she really wants one!!!

Best wishes

Steve B

Was nice to meet you Hass.

What a great A2! Loads of goodies in there that i wanted to put in my A2 when Hass wasn't looking

I hope you enjoyed the drive home!

Congrats,

This was one in my watch list, seems you've got a great little car! I've been umming and arring about fsi vs tdi for some months, but seeing as you got over 50mpg with this petrol it has swayed me. Might see me with something similar soon enough!

All the best,

Pog

Hi Hass,

VERY pleased for you. It sounds like a really well specced FSI, really looking forward to seeing it.

I wonder what model of A2 you are going to get for the wife, I am betting that it will be just a matter of time before she really wants one!!!

Best wishes

Steve B

I doubt we'll get her an A2 Steve. As practical as it is, the Jetta's boot is just gigantic and swallows up little ones pram and bits. I don't mind letting her have a little drive if it. Just hope she doesn't get too comfy in it

I doubt we'll get her an A2 Steve. As practical as it is, the Jetta's boot is just gigantic and swallows up little ones pram and bits. I don't mind letting her have a little drive if it. Just hope she doesn't get too comfy in it

OK, but the A2 boot is surprisingly spacious, especially with the false floor folded back, you can even have the seat backs of the rear seats one position further forward (although after saying that I am even doubting myself? Was that on another Audi? I am pretty sure you can, but it only save a bit off space.

Our Daughter managed fine with her toddler and baby (both grown up now!) But if there is a big difference then I suppose she would not swap (but don't bank on it, the overall driving pleasure and ease of parking etc. can sway people to accept a small compromise on boot space.

Steve B

In regards to our chat about your window wiper Hass, yes! Someone has upgraded your wiper to the new Aero one!

That has saved you about £120

We were wondering why Hass's 52' wiper was the same as my 04 one... So wondered if we both had old ones or new ones.

So good news Hass!

Back