Finish coming off aircon control panel

hughchadd

A2OC Donor
The matt finish is coming off the air control panel just underneath the volume control on the radio revealing the shiny plastic beneath. I'm on the last year of additional warranty and had hoped to claim. Swansea Audi who seem to be onside, told me the insurers would not accept this claim.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Has anybody sucessfully claimed on this?

Thanks for your help

if you do a search on the forum, you should find other members experienced the same thing. The 'soft touch' finish or is it officially 'soul black' found on later models is a coating that is not robust for everyday tear and wear (same goes any soft touch coating found in every VAG car I've seen, it is good to look but bad for wear). I have the older generation which doesn't have the coating and is much harder wearing. Some members tried to replace the buttons with spare parts. Not sure if it can be claimed on Audi. Unfortunately, this is a common case amongst VAG cars.

It seems that all A2's with this finish go this way?, Ada was fine when we bought her but Fi's long nails are starting to damage the minus button on the temperature controls. I have protested, but it is her car after all. :(
Maybe I should take the tool kit to her tallons!! ;) :rolleyes: It's probably safer to buy a used climate unit one day with undamaged donor buttons and change them over - I dont hold out any hope of Audi assisting us with it. Clearly one of those lovable/irritating 'characteristics' :)

Last edited:
Finish coming off

Thanks to all.

Seems I'm either going to have to put up with this, buy new :-( or get a replacement from a breaker.

Push the warranty - I had the same problem with my VW Touareg on the Sat/Nav unit. VAG were prepared to honour the warranty but despite being under 3 years old I had done over 60k so it had expired.

I tried everywhere to source just the button facings - Not a chance! The Sat Nav is made under licence for VAG and the manufacturers are under embargo NOT to sell parts outside of VAG. I resolved it vy using some modelling paint. Crazy if you ask me - a few quid for button against £1500+ for a new unit!

One thought I have never explored is could you spray a matt 'fixer' (like you can use for photos from a bubble jet printer) to create a barrier?

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

I have it on the scan button on the radio. Words have completely gone and just a horrible white patch.

A previous thread
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9275&highlight=aircon+buttons

I saw this thread but it is in German
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=71069&postcount=8

I'm not too sure how it works. With any paint it must be near impossible to reconstruct the lettering or symbols.

I was thinking of using an inkjet printer to print onto a sticky label and then cut out an apply over the problem button. It may need a spray of some sort to make it semi-gloss. Anyone tried this?

What's needed is a protective coating to apply before the black wears off. Anyone come up with a protective solution?

Got the same problem on my aircon buttons
wife was going to coat them in nail varnish (Black) will let you know how it goes!!!!!

Got the same problem on my aircon buttons
wife was going to coat them in nail varnish (Black) will let you know how it goes!!!!!

NOOOOOOO! It'll look hideous!:eek: The finish is a textured matt and solvent based nail varnish will stick out like the proverbial sore thumb and it'll surely have a glossy appearance! On the upside, it'll be easy to rub off as nail varnish is an undurable finish by its very nature.... hope it goes ok if you do try this :eek:

I have got a Caterham Seven, as well as my superb A2;), and the rocker switches go dull on their surfaces. I just get a pot of Vaseline (ooer missus:eek:) and rub some onto the fronts of them and it brings them up like new.

It lasts for a goood twelve months before you have to re-do them.

Might be worth a try for you and it will only cost you pennies.:D

would be ok if original finish was'nt already gone and remaining look is crap prefer the nail varnish and seems pretty durable been on a couple of weeks and looks ok
ps wife info's-=not all nail varnish is glossy

would be ok if original finish was'nt already gone and remaining look is crap prefer the nail varnish and seems pretty durable been on a couple of weeks and looks ok
ps wife info's-=not all nail varnish is glossy

Just to put the record straight and for us to see your handy work, how about some photos;)

Cheers Phil

Back