First 2 weeks and 3500 km :o)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

:D:D:D

Just can't stop smiling !

Just back (2:30 AM today) from a "quick" trip to Germany.
Covered 1800 km in my A2 on mainly motorways through Norway, Sweden,Denmark and Germany !
Average speed 111 km/h over 902 km back from Germany last night !
Made only 2 short stops. 1 to top up the diesel and 1 call to mother nature :)

Result: no sore back or fatigue at all :) Overly impressed with my A2 so far :D

Had the car in the Audi dealership for 5 days while the work was done.
Meanwhile I got to see Germany from the front seat of an A3.

Have had the following done to my A2 while in Germany:
  • B&B Automobiltechnik Chip giving 100 hp / 245 Nm
  • K&N High-Flow air filter (fits in the original housing)
  • Webasto Stationary Heater with remote control

And I have also installed alu. pedals and a new connector for my SAT-NAV and TV so that I (well the passengers anyway) now can watch TV while driving :)

Have also gotten some of the parts of the Audi Styling for the A2.
But I am still awaiting delivery of the KW adjustable suspension
and the rest ot the styling parts [:p]

And the sound deadening is still to come (haven't had the time yet).

BK

2003 Silver 1.4 TDI 100 hp / 245 Nm S-Line (Sport) with Open Sky, ECC, APS, CruiseControl, Navigation Plus + TV + BOSE + CD changer, Sideguard, Mobile phone, El. rear windows, Fog lights, Winter Package, ISOFIX, Headlight washers, Space Floor, 17inch winter wheels, B&B Chip, K&N High-Flow filter, Webasto stationary heater +++++++ (KW adjustable suspension, Audi Styling kit etc to come)

BK-you have one very smart car and a mad passion for the A2. Good on you!.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

BK,

That certainly sounds like a great journey. You must however shortly express your opinions on the difference that the “chip” has made. I might add that “K&N” filters have received a lot of controversial stick lately with allegations that oil deposits from them have ended up corrupting the MAF sensor. Personally I’m not so sure that because of this the safest bet might simply to be to change the existing paper air filter twice a year instead.

The Webasto pre heater is a terrific idea, however I see that they are available in numerous specifications, so what model did you have, and how much did it cost ? What appeals to me about this facility/option is that I do lots of short journeys, and cold starts on a diesel engine is not good news - and I expect damaging on the engine.

Moons ago I owned a VW Passat Estate (air cooled engine) which was an amazing car which had a manufacturers top speed of 120mph with an identical maximum cruising speed. In those days it was always great fun to cruise past a sports car at top speed, but the point of mention is that the car had a brilliant secondary heater (controlled from the dashboard), and it was marvellous for getting the interior of the car up to a “hot house” before driving off.

For the record I believe a good sound deadening kit would transform the A2 beyond recognition, so I will be extremely interested to hear your comments once you have completed that area of modification.

Regards
John Disdale

BK,

What connector did you change to make the TV display active when the car was moving. Have you got an override switch to make you legal whe you need to be !

Dave "soon to have SatNav/TV"

Dave

1.4SE -> 1.6SE 3 weeks and counting

Agreed, the sound deadening kit would be money well spent, let us know when you get it, As John asks, Do you have anymore info on it?

Can you post some pictures of the mod's ??

Cheers

Craig.

JD

Well my A2 haven't become any hot hatch GTI after the chip was installed :( but it has gotten way more torque which is the biggest difference between before and after.

Thanks to the extra 25 hp it does accelerate much quicker than before though and makes you feel that the gearing should be changed as well. When I earlier found myself changing gear at 3000 rpm when accelerating I now have to whatch the rpms so that I don't rev it into the red area :)
It's like it never runs out of power through the gears :D

But the biggest thrill is the added torque [:p]
The 245 Nm (+50 Nm) does wonder with the A2 in turn of driveability.
You never feel like you are short of pulling power even with the A2 filled up to the brim with 2 people and holiday luggage :D

This is in my opinion the level of performance that matches the rest of my A2 !

As for the K&N filter I see your point regarding the oil deposits but I was recommended to change the filter because of the chip tuning and the need for greater airflow to the engine !
To my knowledge (and the tuning company) there aren't any manufacturers out there that deliver any Paper High-Flow air filters for the A2 !
And from the 3-4 manufacturers that DO deliver High-Flow filters to the A2 I felt that the K&N was the best bet :)

BK

2003 Silver 1.4 TDI 100 hp / 245 Nm S-Line (Sport) with Open Sky, ECC, APS, CruiseControl, Navigation Plus + TV + BOSE + CD changer, Sideguard, Mobile phone, El. rear windows, Fog lights, Winter Package, ISOFIX, Headlight washers, Space Floor, 17inch winter wheels, B&B Chip, K&N High-Flow filter, Webasto stationary heater +++++++ (KW adjustable suspension, Audi Styling kit etc to come)

Dave !

The connector is installed between the Navigation Plus units power connector (on the back of the main unit in the dashboard) and the wiring loom from the car/battery ! So you just simly add an extra piece to the power connections.
Very easy indeed a 5 min job really ;)
Just remember to have the security code for the Navigation Plus ready.
You have to enter this after the power have been disconnected :)

And NO it doesn't have an override switch !
Why do you need that[?]
When do you have to be "legal"[?]
When you are standing still the TV does work anyway and it doesn't switch off the picture until you have reached app 5 km/h (it does keep the sound on though at speed)
I can't imagine anyone demandig to check if the picture does dissapear while at speed [?]

BK

JD

Almost forgot [:I]

The Webasto is a Thermo Top E with the new Telestart 80 and the new 1533 timer !

It works absolutely brilliantly :)
I can now sit at the breakfast table and remotely (within 600m) start the heater !

Cost: 1400 Euro ! Worth every cent :D

BK

Hi BK,

How did you get the connector ? Was it availble off the shelf or was it made up by your Audi dealer ?

In the UK (and probably most European markets) I think it is illegal for the driver of a car to be able to see a TV/video display when the cars is on the move - hence the picture turn off above 5km/h. This is slightly perverse since you are allowed to have the map display on.

I guess in theory you could get picked up by some eagle eyed policeman for careless driving.

So your new connectors fits between the TV part of the system (not the sat nav unit which I think is in the boot ?). I have read on the RS4 forum of disconnecting a wire which has the speed feed for the GPS. Apparently doing this affects the SatNav as it uses the feed to do GPS corrections when in tunnels etc.

Dave

1.4SE -> 1.6SE 3 weeks and counting

Back to ur chip tuning BK!! The perfomance improvements definetly sound worth doing the modification, but I originally bought my TDI due to the low diesel consumption. Did that change at all after u inserted the chip?? What's ur mpg or even better how many liter per 100km do need?? Thanks!!

A2 1.4TDI Silver, CC, Blaupunkt Hamburg CD70, still fairly standard :(

quote:
I guess in theory you could get picked up by some eagle eyed policeman for careless driving.

It'd have to be some really careless driving in Norway - compared to the UK we're (usually) fantastic drivers! I don't think BK will have a problem...

quote:
Apparently doing this affects the SatNav as it uses the feed to do GPS corrections when in tunnels etc.

Not good for BK then, Norway has lot's of tunnels. Mind you I wouldn't want Sat Nav to say either of: "You're now in the courtyard of Oslo Castle, did you pay the entrance fee?", or "Now in the middle of a fjord - help I can't swim!"

quote:Originally posted by BK

JD

Almost forgot [:I]

The Webasto is a Thermo Top E with the new Telestart 80 and the new 1533 timer !

It works absolutely brilliantly :)
I can now sit at the breakfast table and remotely (within 600m) start the heater !

Cost: 1400 Euro ! Worth every cent :D

BK

BK,

I've got the heater as well, but in my A2 the Webasto unit was already present, it's factoryfitted by Audi. Surely yours has this to.

I've got the T70 remote and I'm not sure about the timer... Do you have a picture of the timer ?

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Dennis !

I have taken a picture of the timer together with the Navigation Plus !
I'll try to mail them to Stuart in the forseable future :)

My A2 didn't have any Webasto of any sort factory installed.
And neither does any other diesel A2 here in Norway !!!!!!!!!!

BK

quote:Originally posted by slicer

1400 Euros!!! Bl**dy hell, thank God I'm not a Norwegian.

Well that's the German price !!!!!!!!!
Here in Norway it's 2140 Euro incl. installation !!!!!!!!
A good thing you're not Norwegian then :D

quote:Originally posted by McMuffin

The perfomance improvements definetly sound worth doing the modification, but I originally bought my TDI due to the low diesel consumption. Did that change at all after u inserted the chip??

As long as you drive in the same manner as before the consumption doesn't change ! But as soon as you take advantage of the extra power you will see an increase in consumption !
That's fairly natural due to the fact that extra power needs more fuel :) (and air)

Remember that the boost pressure of the turbo and fuel injection has been changed to deliver more power ! This will transform into lower mpg figures when you take use of this extra power !

BK

quote:Originally posted by Gav

quote:

Apparently doing this affects the SatNav as it uses the feed to do GPS corrections when in tunnels etc.

Not good for BK then, Norway has lot's of tunnels. Mind you I wouldn't want Sat Nav to say either of: "You're now in the courtyard of Oslo Castle, did you pay the entrance fee?", or "Now in the middle of a fjord - help I can't swim!"

Well Gav !
That's the reason for changing the connector instead of just tampering with the Speed signal to the Navigation !

All my systems in the A2 perform flawlessly after the alternations :)

BK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back