First Long Life Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mariont

I've got an A2 SE 1.4 which was purchased in April 2002 and has just gone in for it's first service. I'm concerned, however, as I've done less than 7,000 miles and, as other members have mentioned on this site, part of the sales pitch was the long service periods and good fuel consumption.

I appreciate that most of my driving is done in the city, but can't believe that with 7 months to go to the 2 year service (or 12,000 miles), that the service can now be due. The cost of this is £290 (plus extras!) and I'm beginning to think the A2 might not be such good value for money.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I mentioned my concerns when I booked the car in for it's service, but Audi have given me the usual speil about the published service periods be an indicator and every car being different.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

I would imagine that with such a low mileage in a long time the indicator has calculated that most of the journeys are of short, stop-start variety. These are the worst type of journey for any car and cause the most damage to the engine (seen the Magnatec ad) therefore a reduced service period is to be expected. At least Audi have a two year interval, most other manufacturers have annual servicing periods, so you could be 7 months from your second service. The service price does seem higher than I've read elsewhere, did you get quotes from other dealers before booking it in?

Thank you for your reply. I've just received confirmation of the service cost which is £244. I didn't get other quotes as I thought it best to bring it back to the dealer where I purchase it.

Hi Marion,
I would agree with the comments above. If you are doing short stop start journeys then that does reduce the service intervals somewhat.I was worried about mine (see the variable service thread) but Audi covers itself by quoting "up to 20,000 miles/2 years for petrol models and up to 30,000 miles/2 years for diesel".
It would be interesting to know what distance your service indicator reads to next service now that it has been reset. You will notice it will be a very low mileage, but don't worry, this will increase over the next few weeks.

Regards,

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Buy your own oil from halfords and give VAG parts a call for the filters - then let the dealer do the service - you'll probably save £100

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/mar.htm

mariont

welcome.

I have read long-term magazine tests on the likes of BMW with their variable service indicators and I've seen services due in the 7000 to 8000 miles range, up to 12000 miles if your lucky. I know these are different cars but it shows how driving style/journeys do make or break the service.

You could ask the dealer to put you on fixed servicing-I think they offer that option. But in all honesty if your type of driving lifestyle warrants a frequent service then should you deny your car this?.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Our petrol 1.4 has done 8K in its first year and service indicator is showing 7.5k to service. Does mainly 10-12 mile runs for thewife's trip to work. If you are doing shorter, town trips, I would expect the service to come round quicker than ours has.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

I took ecoangels advice and asked for quotes from the four nearest dealers to me. There was little to save between the "all in price" and the "labour" plus buying parts from Halfords. However the quotes varied from £230 to £270 - the highest from the supplying dealer. The Halfords cost of the parts was around £70, so I queried with my local supplying dealer how Audi justified £200 labour for changing the oil, oil filter and pollen filter, to be told that the job was costed at 1.9hrs!
When I remonstrated (politely, for me) the dealer offered to match the lowest quote of £230. I was extremely unhappy, but if you want to keep the third years warranty, I guess you have no choice.
I was unhappy, and showed it, when I went to collect the car (7 hrs after I had dropped it off) to be told that it was not ready and would be another 15 mins, and was immediately offered a discount off the bill. Thinking this might amount to perhaps £5 or £10 I was still p*****d off at paying extortionate rates for poor service, However all was forgiven when I was presented with an invoice for £188.
The message surely is that
1) it pays to complain/bargain
2) Audi are still overcharging by an enormous amount, even after offering discount.

My A2 TDi is just over one year old (early Sept 2002) and has done 1500 miles (yes, I know!). But nearly all the mileage (1200 or so) has been clocked up on about 6 journeys. The latest was last Saturday (350 miles in the one day). There have been no more than one or two short stop-start trips. The car spends nearly all its time in my garage. I pressed the button on Sunday and next service reads 600 miles. It never seems to have indicated a long mileage to go (probably 1000 max). Does anyone think that it will soon drop down to service due? The idea of going to the Audi dealer before next year if not pleasant.

Hi Paul,

I got told by my service manager that there are 2 factors which determine "service due " calculations. These being time and mileage. So if you've only done 1500 miles in one year the car's 'brain' has probably calculated that you'll do 3,000 miles in 2 years hence your low "service due" figure.

You need to get some miles under your belt.

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Thanks for that Shaf. I shall carry on with careful use and see if 'service due'stays off until next summer, when I will take the car for one of these expensive services before the warranty runs out. The car was imported from Malta so I have 2 years of Audi warranty in total.
Paul

Just book our A2 in for its first service, had to do it early has the mileage would have landed us spot-on christmas.

Taking advice from this forum and ringing around, it turns out cheaper to take our beloved A2 to Swindon than have it done localy (including fuel).

Service costs varied from £245 (Newton Abbot, going to be in that area) to £290 (Bristol and Bath, local) Swindon was/is £262. but as the A2 is nearly 2 years old it needs the brake fluid changed. and these varied from £50 (Swindon) to £77 (Bristol and Bath) and Newton Abbot was £68

Totals
Bristol/Bath £367
Newton Abbot £313
Swindon £312

£55 different and its not going to cost quarter that in fuel. to get there and back.

oh, arranged a loan car as well.
oh, I bought the A2 there.

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey
50% Brighter Bulbs : Audi 6 CD Changer : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System : Chrome Numberplate Surround : A3 Transmission Nets

my a2 needed its first indicated service at 32,000 miles (roughly 12 months old). tyres changed at 24000 (fronts) rears still the same at mileage now 42,000. Car was new end of May 2002. no problems, seems cheap to me, just depends how you use it i 'spose...

I have just returned from the first service, 12000 miles, £345.92. I'll just go and have a lie down!!!! My 2.5 litre, turbo, automatic, Volvo service cost little more than that and included a cam belt change and new brake pads.

12000 miles ??

Mine has 24000 on the clock and still has 8000 to go for its first service.

What did you do with yours ?

2002 TDi SE, Dolphin Grey,Black/grey interior,climate,CD.

Puma
Mainly short trips, but even so!!!It's the price not the mileage, it's virtually all labour costs. I would have thought that £175 to £250 would have covered it, or £65 at a hole in the wall!! Yes I know you don't take A2s to a hole in the wall. I always stopped the engine to open the garage, or close it on leaving, I won't do that from now on and see if it makes a difference as the pooter clearly measures starts (and time and mileage).

Thats the difference then. Mine enjoys a 100 mile run everyday and lives on the drive !!

£350 every 32,000 for me is cheaper than my old car which was £150 every 10,000.

2002 TDi SE, Dolphin Grey,Black/grey interior,climate,CD.

I was charged £44.18 for the brake fluid change (18 months) by John Fox Audi Nottingham - very good service in around an hour

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/mar.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back