First puncture!

TallPaul

Well... just had a punture on the passenger rear tyre on the A2 one of the dunlop SP3000's, 3 nails, looks like the nails deflated the tyre a bit (fastish punture), and I drove away, not noticing it, then about 500 metres down the road, felt somthing not right, the tyre had gone totally flat, with the inner sidewall totally trashed, with a couple of inch long gashes in it!!! :( I mamanged to crawl back home, luckily wasn't too far away!

So new tyre time...ended up with a BF goodrich G-Force profiler, 205/40/r17, fitted for £83. Compared to the dunlops I had before, the sidewalls on the BF Goodrich are totally different, much fuller, and with a decent rim protector aswell, should be way better at stopping curbing than the old tyre.

DSC_2115-04-1.jpg

Had exactly the same problem about three weeks ago, one nail, didn`t notice tyre was flat till i`d driven on it, and , of course, knackered the tyre.

I Have the standard SE spec wheels, off the top of my head i think the size is 185/50 r16s. After contacting three or four tyre dealers all said that it was a very rare tyre size which they would have to order in. This was no good to me as it was my only day off that that week and hence needed the tyre fitted that day.

I rang round a couple more dealers and eventually found one with a tyre in stock, it cost me £85 fitted, but that was for same spec pirelli. If i could have waited i could have got a Kumo tyre for around £50.

I am considering buying a spare tyre "Just in Case", as I do not want to be stuck in this situation again.

I wish someone would shoot the guy who invented tyre foam!!!

BTW was quoted various prices from £65 to £105 for the pirelli`s, supplied next day. Makes you wonder how the final price is arrived at.

Cheers Phil.

Dolphin grey tdi se, DIS, single cd.

£90 here for a replacement Pirelli recently after hitting a rock thrown out by a cleaner. Khumo (sp?) do one as well - I think in total though that fellow said there were only 3 equivalents - only the pirelli was in stock.

ditto on the spare - should have one soon :)

Be careful, when buying replacement 17" sport tyres as they are specified as Extra Load and according to Micheldever Tyres(Hants) not all 205/40x17 are Extra Load. A recent Michelin Exalto cost me £113

2002 FSi SE, Ebony Black with Red Nappa Leather, 17" Sport Wheels, 2004 grill, Tinted Security Glass (+Road Angel)

Cheers, just checked on the BFgoodrich website, they are extra load, 205/40 ZR 17 "XL" 84 W, so no probs there.

TP

Spare wheel ...

pdiddy said:
I am considering buying a spare tyre "Just in Case", as I do not want to be stuck in this situation again.

Rather than buy a spare tyre, you may like to do what I did after a puncture on my 16" SE tyre. I bought a steel 15" rim (£30) and a 175/60 R 15 tyre at £50. This tyre is fitted to basic A2 versions and has exactly the same rolling radius (give or take 1/2 mm) as the 185/50 R16 tyre. I used it as a spare wheel when I got a second puncture until I could get round to sourcing the hard to find 16" tyre. And because it is a fully rated tyre you are not limited to 80km/h as you are with a spacesaver.

Back