Fitting a "Aftersales" ICS

moogaloo

I am picking up a secondhand Audi A2 1.4 TDI (2001 75 BHP) on saturday and trading it in for my 1 litre VW Lupo petrol.

I currently have Blankpaupt Nashville DAB with a line in lead for an IPOD and would ideally like to fit this in my new Audi.

I have just been on ebay and brought an Audi A2 Fascia Adapter for under a fiver. Is this all I need to do, to fit the new car stereo?

Is removal of the old Audi Stereo easy, or will I need special keys etc?

Also I think I have a CD changer attached, so wondered if there was any market for the removed unit to sell to others?

Any help advice, gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris
Yo do need special keys to remove the Audi unit. There are various types for sale but many don't work very well so it's worth buying the genuine ones from Vagparts (normally advertised as a set of 4 but I think they will sell you a pair) The attachment shows the genuine keys - now the plug - Buy the Club discount card and sticker pack to qualify for extra discount from Vagparts and many other suppliers.
Many A2's were sold with a radio-casette unit so if your radio has the single CD slot then it should sell.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
I have a double height Audi Stereo, I know have the facia adapter, keys etc. Do I need some kind of Facia Blanker or maybe mini shelf thing to fill this void?

moogaloo said:
I have a double height Audi Stereo, I know have the facia adapter, keys etc. Do I need some kind of Facia Blanker or maybe mini shelf thing to fill this void?
There's no such thing unfortunately.

I do have a single height dashboard which I could fit for you, then you'd be able to slot the new headunit straight in, with the little side fillers.

Otherwise, it's get handy with the jigsaw and dremel!

Cheers,

Mike

Between me and my wife, we have two cars, I was going to get a DAB/Ipod stero for her car as well.

So if I buy a new one for myself, can I get a double height DAB radio with Ipod adapter to fit this size hole?

Yes, that yould be fine, although you would have to cobble together two pairs of fascia adapters, probably needing to superglue them together as Audi headunits are always wider than standard DIN sized headunits.

Cheers,

Mike

What about something like this used in conjuntion with the facia adaptor?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Stereo-blanking-plate_W0QQitemZ140049330572QQihZ004QQcategoryZ108815QQcmdZViewItem

Heres a pic

ca_1.JPG

The A6 one should do, yes, but will need to have its wings trimmed to size (they taper out, unlike the A2s parallel sides).

Whichever way you choose to go, ask for a Deremel for Xmas!

Cheers,

Mike

I am now wondering about fitting one of those Revo In-Car DAB and an Ipod Adapter to the symphony and not replacing th unit at all.

Anyone here use a Revo with the Symphony?

I just tried the Revo (with my Concert). works fine via an FM modulator.
I was testing the digital signal on my commuting journey, really (about 40 miles). With the Revo stick on DAB Aerial, it really was not able to hang on to a signal for long enough at a high enough quality to make it viable for me, and I wasn't up for drilling and fitting a DAB beesting aerial.

So, I've demounted it. I'll probably stick the revo back on eBay if I can get a replacement aerial. Can't really sell it without an aerial.

You can get those ariels that stick to your side window ( I had one on my last car) no drilling required it has a bit that sticks on the inside of your window and a bit that sticks onto the outside. Can the revo take a standard DAB arial?

OK had a quick wizz round the internet and it seems quite difficult to find someone how is satisfied with the Revo. So perhaps I am back to the aftersales route.

Mike (Skipton01) said he thought the A6 Facia should work but would need to have its wings trimmed to size. Can anyone verify that this would work before I shell out 25 notes?

My other option is to get a second facia adaptor kit and a standard blanking plate. Has anyone tried this route too?

Also my last car had a "single din" car stereo and a single din plaistc shelf/tray under it (my friend told me what it was called but I forget). Can you buy these and use a facia adapter with that too, so the freed up space is more usefull?

Last edited:
moogaloo said:
Mike (Skipton01) said he thought the A6 Facia should work but would need to have its wings trimmed to size. Can anyone verify that this would work before I shell out 25 notes?
The reason I said this would work, is because I have a double DIN sized dashboard, fitted with an A6 RNS-E unit.

The A6 RNS-E is a perfect fit, other than needing it's fascia sides trimmed down, so in terms of fitting your particular car, it should do the job nicely.

Cheers,

Mike

The thing I could not get the name of was a "Din Pocket"

There are Universal ones available. Anyone had any joy with these?

Here is an example ...

358.jpg

I tried to post a link to the product details but it seems to be user specific so go to http://www.incarelectrics.co.uk and in the search box type "Din Pocket"

I have decided to go for a Din Pocket I will let you know how I get on.

I have a pair of Audi Removal keys do I need 4 for the the Double Din units?

moogaloo said:
I have a pair of Audi Removal keys do I need 4 for the the Double Din units?
Yes you do - you can't release one side far enough to get the keys back out without releasing the other side.

Cheers,

Mike

I have a clarion radio with motorised screen plus a separate sat-nav unit,do I need a can bus? I know I need a harness adaptor for the rear speakers and facia adaptor plates.I may ring the stealer for the phone number of their audio fitter contractor for a price to fit,but would appreciate advice before proceeding. cheers.

Back