Fitting Coolant Pipe -032121065D

Birdfish

Hi All,

Just joined the A2OC today although I have looked at it for advice from time to time over the past year of ownership, got to say these forums are great for the Diy'r so a big thank you to you all and the A2OC management for keeping it going, long may it continue!

I have a 1.6fsi Colour Storm, that's the car with all the goodies taken out for the sake of a nice paint colour.

I've had a lot of trouble with the car over the past year even although the last owner said they kept it well, I'd have to disagree emphatically!

Anyway my question is on my latest problem with the car, the other problems I will list when I have more time.

Question: How to fit the plastic pipe behind the engine/below the inlet manifold and between water pump and thermostat.

Anyone done this? Part number 032121065d

1. how hard is it to fit?

2. how much for a garage to do?

3. how much time to fit?

4. what symptoms did you have before failure?

5. any photos of fitting/photos of back of engine?

Here are my symptoms that lead up to this; The Temp gauge did not work so I fitted a new 4 pin green sensor, Temp gauge worked.
Then the plug on the internally heated Thermostat broke off due to it being brittle.
Fitted new Thermostat and new anti-freeze fitted, it then showed that the Water pump was leaking, New water pump fitted along with belts etc, car worked ok.

I noticed the coolant was low and "long story short" - I now know that the coolant warning light is not functioning, diagnostics did not flag this up, it did flag up the fan temp switch sensor as faulty today only, (I don't know yet if the module is faulty too but, the fan turns when Air-con is on so it maybe ok?) I replaced the bottom Temp 2 pin sensor on the pipe at the bottom of the Radiator and also the Coolant reservoir bottle too, Haven't tested it yet to see if the warning is on the dash now due to battery disconnection for main fault.

It would seem like I'm chasing things around and one thing has kicked off another and now showing part of a main fault where the water is spewing out of the coolant bottle with no warning on dash of overheating, the Temp gauge showed normal and that's very worrying.
I did a pressure test on the water system today and the water spewed out of a hole in the pipe at the back of the engine as described earlier, this is obviously the main issue.

My car is booked in tomorrow for inspection and to change this pipe, I would greatly appreciate a swift answer here if anyone can provide it?

To sum up; when this is fixed I will fit another retro fit Temperature gauge to keep a firm eye on how warm the engine gets as I DO NOT TRUST the Audi gauge now.

I will post photos of the burst pipe or God forbid another problem.

Cheers

Doug

Hi,

A few people have had the pipe replaced and the cost is mainly made up of labour charges and most of that is because the engine has to be tilted to get it out (apparently)

I wouldn't advise fitting a secondary temperature gauge, but it is up to you of course.

As many of us have been owners for 12 years or more and many of us have multiple A2s (I have 6 tdis in our family) and there does not seem to be any major issues with the temperature gauge (other than the occasional faulty sender).

I am not even sure a secondary temperature gauge would help.

Once you have lost the water from the engine the sensor is no longer covered in hot water and so it doesn't show overheating to any great extent. That would apply equally to a secondary sensor.

Once you have your leak fixed and with a new sender, you should be fine.

But Welcome to the club.

It is worth checking out the "how to" Index thread for lots of tips and help.

Steve B

Hi and welcome to A2oc-- i have had first hand trouble with that pipe cracked and caused total loss of coolant. This was on an FSI i bought to repair, my daily driver a2 is an FSI and i have had that part changed just to be safe. It should be fine once refitted but it is a pig of a job due to its location under the intake manifold but if your mechanic changed your thermostat housing he will be familiar with working in tight places. These failing are not a sign of poor maintenance - the thermostats are common to fail I'm on my third (150k miles)
I also have a storm and love it what colour is it? cheers mike

coolant pipe fix

Hi and welcome to A2oc-- i have had first hand trouble with that pipe cracked and caused total loss of coolant. This was on an FSI i bought to repair, my daily driver a2 is an FSI and i have had that part changed just to be safe. It should be fine once refitted but it is a pig of a job due to its location under the intake manifold but if your mechanic changed your thermostat housing he will be familiar with working in tight places. These failing are not a sign of poor maintenance - the thermostats are common to fail I'm on my third (150k miles)
I also have a storm and love it what colour is it? cheers mike

Hi guys,

thanks for a quick response and the welcome, it's most appreciated.

I kind of thought the engine may have to be tilted or something like that, good call!

Still think an more accurate secondary temp gauge would be a good thing by the experience I've just had but, I'll wait a see now on your advice, let you know SteveB, Thank you.

My car is Red, I get a lot on nice comments about it, nice but, I believe it would be a hard colour to match.

I've just made a small Spoiler for above the number plate and intend to paint it possibly in the same Red colour or Satin Black, I'll post a photo and also give details of how to make one when I've finished it fully, it looks great so far.

Can't believe you have 6 A2's gees your a real enthusiast - good on you!

I changed the Thermostat myself earlier this year, and yes it was a tricky job.

Meant to add to the last post that the little "Y" piece pipe broke in half a few weeks ago, I was 60 miles from home, lucky enough I was close to a Renault garage, I quickly seen that this pipe was broken, I needed to get home and don't have breakdown cover, so using a cut in half Bookies pen, super glue, a plastic tube and 4" of copper brake pipe from the garage skip I sorted the pipe and it got me home no problem, think this should be part of repair kit A2 owners should carry, he he!

Cheers

Doug

Hello Doug,
I have A2 fsi sport, and I have had the experience of changing such a pipe myself. It is a pig of a job to do, but I managed ok,,,,,just. The local Audi dealer wanted £500 to replace it, which in labour costs is understandable, as it took about 5 hours to do on my own. I did post some photos on here somewhere.
Hope you can get everything sorted out. If not , just ask, on this site, there many people who can help, including me.

Back