(Fixed) Heater fan does nothing?

q292u

United-Kingdom
Got my A2 1.4 SE (Petrol) last week, it's got issues but the one that is stopping me driving it is that the heater fan doesn't work.
This means that the windscreen steams up, not ideal at the moment..
The engine runs fine, gets warm, temp gauge working. But whatever I do with the heater controls, the fan does not come one. I get a little graphic suggesting that the car thinks the fan is on, but it's not.
Where do I start with this, and what the heck is a "Webasto"?

do you have the climate control panel ?

If yes, do the bars go right up then go back to nothing ? When mine did this the motor had failed

We need more information to let us help you. without us knowing if you have manual heater or climate control there is too much guessing. Regardless first item to check is the blower motor fuse or replace with new. Then come back with more sensible information.

Must have climate The clue is in the ‘little graphic……’ you get c**k all of a graphic with the manual heater controls

Failed fuse or most likely failed blower motor are the most likely causes

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yup. Climate control. Looks to me like I need a new blower motor.
Is there a good guide to what's involved? (DIY)
The stuff I have seen on YT is either cack or misleading..

Evening,

This thread (Post #21) should be most useful to you:

Kind regards,

Tom

Need to access post 20 as well, glovebox removal, the 'link' in post 20 doesn't seem to work..

Yup. Climate control. Looks to me like I need a new blower motor.
Is there a good guide to what's involved? (DIY)
The stuff I have seen on YT is either cack or misleading..
I had exactly this fault recently and bought myself a non-Audi fan from eBay. It works fine but I’ve had to mess about with it a lot to get it to fit properly (grinding down the ‘face’ of the fan basically). Even now it still catches so I need to look at it again. Basically - be careful where you order a new fan from.

Also - once you’ve fitted your new fan leave the glovebox off until you’re completely satisfied it’s working properly.

In terms of removal/fitting I used the guide just posted by Tom there

Need to access post 20 as well, glovebox removal, the 'link' in post 20 doesn't seem to work..
Hello again,

Just scroll down to the bottom of the pages where you’ll see Page 2 of 3. Simply go back to Page 1 of 3 and you’ll see Post #20!towards the bottom.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks everyone! I have bookmarked the guide. Looks like it's within my (rusty) DIY capabilities.
I've seen a couple of posts about trying to get the motor turning by poking it with a pencil through the pollen filter gap etc, so I'll try that first, then try removal and freeing it off, before I finally give in and replace the thing.. I'll let you know how I get on..
Once again, many thanks for your advice and pointing me in the right direction!

Thanks everyone! I have bookmarked the guide. Looks like it's within my (rusty) DIY capabilities.
I've seen a couple of posts about trying to get the motor turning by poking it with a pencil through the pollen filter gap etc, so I'll try that first, then try removal and freeing it off, before I finally give in and replace the thing.. I'll let you know how I get on..
Once again, many thanks for your advice and pointing me in the right direction!
Try a drop of thin oil (3in1 etc) on the bearing bush as these are normally dry may help if motor not blown.

Yes. I have checked the fuse. Tried several new ones. It's not that.
Unfortunately..

(Apologies for terseness. Currently in bloody Aldi. Getting aisle-rage)

Last edited:
It is either the motor is partially seized or the resistor controller has failed. What happens when you put 12v direct to the motor connections?

I did mine just before Christmas. It is pretty easy if you have plenty of different length 1/4" extension bars, wobble bits. Also what helps a lot is that a 5.5mm hex fits over the Torx head - that is helpful when you can't actually see the head (for the top ones).

Does anyone have any clear photos of the heater blower motor in place, with the glovebox removed? Thanks in advance..

20230507_091944~2.jpg

? Any good ?
You'll have to imagine a dashboard :)

Back