Flood Damage!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tomwatson

I went through water that wasn't even deep enough to come up to the doors.

Now my A2 TDI might be written off!

A few metres into the water and the car was dead, water had been sucked into the engine. It turns out the air intake is behind the fog lights?? Then the left hand side rear foot well started filling with water. This caused the electrics to go crazy, locking and unlocking doors, lights coming on etc.

When I got the car towed out, I went to disconnected the battery, only to find water had gone into the boot. I don't how the water got in as it was not deep enough to reach the doors. It must have come up through the floor.

I can't believe Audi would be so stupid to put the air intake so low down. It's a design fault.

I've been through deeper water in my first car (mini metro)

Im fuming.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Hmm, sound very strange. Most of the roads here have been floded the last days due to change in temperature and thus melted snow, my point is that i've driven thru pretty deep "lakes" without having any problems. Generally a dieselEngine should run even under pretty deep water.

Specially how you're describing the water inside the car sounds alarming[21], is this a new car?

--
Bigshow

1,4Tdi SE

It's a 2002 TDI SE which I have had from new. It has done 40,000 miles.

Strange that you have been OK.

A friend did it with a Nissan, I can't remember the model, but it ws sport exotic (ZX something maybe????). Complete write off enginewise. My MG Montego went throught flood water over 2feet deep in Spain and drove through 1 foot deep for hours, no probs at all, I made sure I did not stop and kept the engine revving, several Fiats died, but a Brit deisel coach (engine under floor had no trouble). Happy days!

When the engine sucks in water, the water gets sucked into the cylinders. However, the water is not as compressible as air. So when the pistons hit the water the rods they are on (drijfstangen) will bent. The engine will be almost completly destroyed.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

This is a common problem with many cars locating the air intake down behind the bumper, I remember reading this as a particular fault with Renaults. Diesel engines can normally run fully submerged as long as the air intake is out of the water, which you will see on 4x4's modified for proper off roading. If you are considering driving through any deep water in a car or 4x4 check you know where the air intake is as if any water goes in you will be facing a massive repair bill.

My advice is never drive through a flood in a car

Just about all cars will run underwater provided the air intake is above water level - look at the camel trophy landrovers with their roof mounted intakes - however you have to keep the revs up else the exhaust will allow water in aswell. As a kid in africa my dad's old range rover used to let water in ther doors - just had to lift your feet up!

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/mar.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back