Floppy wiper question......

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bigpikle

Just tracking down the car I want to buy now and read some posts on 'floppy wipers', and wondered what's the difference really?

On a test drive I had an 02 plate car and noticed nothing unusual about the wiper movement. I do seem to remember briefly driving a '53 Sport model and thought I saw the wiper do a little 'wiggle' at the end of the movement, but when I drove the '02 again it didn't do it - so assumed I imagined it!

I'm looking at two '03 SE cars and wondered if i should expect to get these new wipers and if so, what's the benefit?

Thanks - still learning and getting nearer to buying one..... [:I]

BP

The old wiper was the conventional metal backed style which had a habit of juddering across the screen.
The new style is fully rubber and almost folds in half if you lift it off the screen. General opinion is that this wiper is superior to the old style in both function and looks,

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

[8D]The primary advantage of the floppy wiper is that there is a SIGNIFICANT decrease in wind noise aroind the blade especially in use.

Your mind is best used like a parachute - OPEN
The UK does not have bad weather - we have the wrong clothes

The 02 SE's should have the new style floppy wipers.
Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

I thought it was just the 03 model, built from about late August/September 2002?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Anyone know how much the wipers cost? I need a replacement and there are no third party ones available.

That seems incredibly cheap. Is that just for the blade?
It should be noted that if you want to upgrade for the old style to the floppy wiper, you will need a new wiper arm as well as the blade.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Rob. Yes just blade. The whole kit was about £40.The complete floppy assembly is very much lighter than the old Forth Bridge style.

Just to follow up on this thread, too. I discovered that this was a bone of contention amongst the 'early adopters' and, given that I'd just got my 2001 X Petrol SE, I headed to Whites Wimbledon - now taken over by Wimbledon Audi - and by being polite, but firm about what I saw as a flaw - smearing of window and rather too much judder - I managed to them to install a new floppy style wiper in about 5 minutes.This, despite the fact I had bought the vehicle from Wheelbase in Hersham. And they only charged me the price of the blade, which was less than 20 quid (I was worried it'd be crazy money).

So, another possible solution is, if you've got a good local Audi garage, and a bit of inter-personal skills, try and get them to do it, FOC. Should be easy if you've had your car serviced there or you purchased it from new.
[25]

Thanks again to the 'elders' (in post numbers, not ages!) of the forum for being so vocal about the few little niggles with this complicated, but characterful little roller skate.

Audi will be sitting up and taking notice, I reckon, as Internet research is something all school kids now appear to be learning (and a good job, too!).

It's all free feedback....

James

2001 X Ebony Black 1.4 Petrol SE. Avec Grey Leather, Climate, Leccy Windows, First Aid kit + triangle, BOSE kick ass stezza upgrade and NO bl**dy spare wheel!

Jaffa, clearly I haven't a good dealer, they denied all knowledge of a floppy wiper, or maybe I have no inter-personal skills (although I am known as a skilled negotiator). Some others have managed as well as you with a replacement, just depends on whether or not you have a good dealer.

hollyrescue-how old is your A2?.

Did you try the "there must have been something wrong with the old style, why else did Audi change them" route?

Toyota have changed the engine mounts in the new Corolla because of noise/vibration so I'm going to try this style or argument.

Follwed by shouting, crying, stamping my feet....

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Hollyrescue - Well, that modus operandi is one that (some) garages unfortunately seem only too happy to employ. Claim ignorance and most British people won't plug away. That said, I reckon it always backfires on them since you'll now always be looking for an alternative way to do things regarding your car that doesn't involve them...[27]

Reap what you sow, n' that.

James

2001 X Ebony Black 1.4 Petrol SE. Avec Grey Leather, Climate, Leccy Windows, First Aid kit + triangle, BOSE kick ass stezza upgrade and NO bl**dy spare wheel!

My A2 is 51 plate, but 02 build. My dealer told me that the only wiper it was possible to fit was the one the computer said was the correct one.i.e. the Forth Bridge model. The answer I have to all these dealer problems is not to replace with an Audi. They have screwed me for a few quid, but they dont get any more business. There are several firms I havent dealt with for years for similar reasons, not motoring, but anything. Some firms wouldnt get my business if their goods were free e.g. Burtons and others. This does not of course include pubs I have been thrown out of.

[14]That was my problem with Audi when I was having my A2 woes. I told them I would no longer, never, not on your nelly, think again, buy an Audi, so give me some meaningfull compensation.

So they gave me a discount off my next Audi. Doh.

So if anyone wants the letter and my discount;)

You could have mentioned that earlier...

2003 A2 1.4 Tdi SE, Silver, CD, Climate

"Your past is not your potential" Unknown

Just replaced my wiper - its a Sept 2002 model and had the original non floppy type. I noticed the difference in wipers from the A2 in the showroom, but I've had no trouble with the original type (I do use Rainex, which prevents juddering) so refitted the same. £15 from the dealer, which is less than I paid for two Bosch wipers for the Focus from a motor factor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back