Fog lights installed

Kleynie

A2OC Donor
After gathering the fog lights and trim pieces from A2Steve, we set about making a loom for my sons A2. Steve supplied the lights with 6 inches of wire, so the first job was to solder 3m of cable to these and heat shrink in black sleeving to look like OEM, this was done on the bench beforehand.
Fitting the lights was easy enough, we routed the cables through the front grill in front of the radiator and up to the underneath of the passenger side headlight, this is where we then shortened the negative cables, heat shrunk and attached to the earth strap under the headlight:

20180331_173150.jpg

The next job was to route the two live cables through the bulkhead with the glovebox removed. This was no mean feat as the grommet that goes through is already full of cables and there is barely room for a little finger to fit, but with the help of a 2.5mmsq semi rigid copper draw cable we managed to get the wires through and into the passenger footwell. Armed with a meter we found the terminal that becomes live when the fog light switch is turned on (obviously new switch with front fogs previously fitted), this was not the blue connector as stated in other threads but the grey one in the picture. This is the rear of the connector block, my screwdriver pointing at the red and purple wire which comes from the fog light switch:

20180331_152225.jpg

And this is the front of the connector showing the empty slot ready for the fog light wires:

20180331_152233.jpg

Then with the help of receptacle, RS part number 718-1080, we crimped the two live cables and pushed them into the empty hole opposite the red and purple wire. The two red cables are the new ones for the fogs:

20180401_103759.jpg

Hey presto, everything worked first time! If anyone needs the receptacle to do the same job I have 18 spare, I will gladly send them FOC to those who need them (two each, one for practice!) Just PM me if you need these and I will get them to you as I know many do not have access to an RS account.

Last edited:
Nice write up. The connector on my 2001 car is also white for the fog lights. The colour and pin depends on the year.

I found it easier and safer, after the fact, to remove the rubber grommet for the cable entry from the bulkhead before pulling the new loom through. This makes it easier to pull the wires through the grommet and makes it less likely to damage the existing wiring when doing so. Although the loom is wrapped with tape before and after the grommet, its not inside as it goes through the bulkhead and so the wires are vulnerable if you are unlucky.
It looks like the grommet might be hard to remove and replace but it isn't.

regards

Andrew

Yep, we removed the rubber grommet as you describe and some silicone grease helped it back in place nicely.
Ours is a 2003 car by the way.

Ian this is a great write up something me and @Clackers will be doing on another car shortly so you’ve saved us loads of time and effort.. nice work ??..

yes please can I grab a couple of the receptacles please, this job is on my to do list, have the auto light switch and the fogs and surrounds ready

Cheers,
Paul

It would seem that it is the later runout models (special edition) that have the fog light power (red with purple tracer) going to pin 4 on a blue connector at the passenger A post.
Geoff

Attachments

• IMG_20180309_154144.jpg
    IMG_20180309_154144.jpg
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 280
After gathering the fog lights and trim pieces from A2Steve, we set about making a loom for my sons A2. Steve supplied the lights with 6 inches of wire, so the first job was to solder 3m of cable to these and heat shrink in black sleeving to look like OEM, this was done on the bench beforehand.
Fitting the lights was easy enough, we routed the cables through the front grill in front of the radiator and up to the underneath of the passenger side headlight, this is where we then shortened the negative cables, heat shrunk and attached to the earth strap under the headlight:

View attachment 38574

The next job was to route the two live cables through the bulkhead with the glovebox removed. This was no mean feat as the grommet that goes through is already full of cables and there is barely room for a little finger to fit, but with the help of a 2.5mmsq semi rigid copper draw cable we managed to get the wires through and into the passenger footwell. Armed with a meter we found the terminal that becomes live when the fog light switch is turned on (obviously new switch with front fogs previously fitted), this was not the blue connector as stated in other threads but the grey one in the picture. This is the rear of the connector block, my screwdriver pointing at the red and purple wire which comes from the fog light switch:

View attachment 38575

And this is the front of the connector showing the empty slot ready for the fog light wires:

View attachment 38577

Then with the help of receptacle, RS part number 718-1080, we crimped the two live cables and pushed them into the empty hole opposite the red and purple wire. The two red cables are the new ones for the fogs:

View attachment 38576

Hey presto, everything worked first time! If anyone needs the receptacle to do the same job I have 18 spare, I will gladly send them FOC to those who need them (two each, one for practice!) Just PM me if you need these and I will get them to you as I know many do not have access to an RS account.
Ian could I please scrounge a pair of terminals? More than willing to pay postage.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back