fold down rear seat problem

so far im really pleased with the a2,but going through it sorting out any little foibles now and the rear seat back rest wil not fold down,its a split rear seat and when you pull the release nothing happens,looking in through the boot it looks as though the metal pin that drops down is off centre and when it drops it catches on the metal making it almost imposible to pull up!

anyone experienced this before and know if theres an easy fix?,ive had it half apart and have managed to ease the problem but im still not happy with it

if anyone knows of a rear seat for sale cheap please let me know

thanks
dan

yes i searched first...thanks for that:rolleyes
im not trying to remove the whole seat or clip it back in again,just want to be able to fold the rear seat backrest forward but it wont disengage when i lift the handle
just wondered if it was a common fault or if anyone had an easy fix?

a kind memeber has offered me a rear seat for sale so if theyre ok money,i may buy it and swap the whole mechanism into my seat

dan

Guys, I think he just wants to lift the handle at the top of the back rest to actually be able to get the back part down. In other words the mech is jammed and the seat back is stuck up in its normal position. I think.....

Mine can sometimes be a little stiff but never had it fail altogether.

Good luck!!

Cheers,

Hey there

As I recall a member had the same problem and the only solution he came up with was to cut the metal bracket and replace with a new one, hope you come up with something better as I have the same problem.:(

Cheers,

A2sport

Last edited:
When it happened to me, the r/h seat was fine, the l/h seat wouldn't budge.

Ultimately, it was simply a case of lots of wiggling and tugging (if you'll pardon the expression) of the handle on the seat back top.

Once released, though, it was okay, and that was a couple of years ago.

They are tight, i move my rear seats backs all the time, move them to the front position when i've got the dog in the back, then back to normal when i carry passengers as they don't like to sit bolt upright (some people lol) and mine are sometimes abit tight to move (just as above give them a wiggle and a tug they should move)

Cheers Phil

mines more than stiff(oooer vicar) the mushroom end on it passes through the part on the car bodywork but jams solid when it goes into the lower part of the seat
looks like ive managed to get a seat in the same fabric and colour so gonna swap the whole thing,the take the broken one to bits and see what causes it and try and sort it,will keep u updated folks

dan

mines more than stiff(oooer vicar) the mushroom end on it passes through the part on the car bodywork but jams solid when it goes into the lower part of the seat
looks like ive managed to get a seat in the same fabric and colour so gonna swap the whole thing,the take the broken one to bits and see what causes it and try and sort it,will keep u updated folks

dan

When you do take some pics so we can take a look for future refference if it happens to someone else

Chhers Phil

I had the same problem with mine when I bought it,one of the handles that you pull up to fold the backs of the seats flat was solid.
In my case the seat base had not gone back into its correct position the last time the seats had been removed/folded.
I knelt on the very front of the seat base & pushed hard on the back of this part until it locked into place.
After it had locked into place I was able to fold the backs flat by pulling the handle up,it was still a bit stiff but has worked OK since.

rear seat wont fold down

Very strange, I needed to fold my a2 seats down and had a real problem.
I found the only way by accident, lean in the rear door, lead over with back seat folded down, giving you access to the to the handle that appears stuck, you pull it and nothing happens. lean on the on the folded down seat nearest the windscreen at the same time as pulling the handle. it releases as if my magic.
hope that helps
ted

so far im really pleased with the a2,but going through it sorting out any little foibles now and the rear seat back rest wil not fold down,its a split rear seat and when you pull the release nothing happens,looking in through the boot it looks as though the metal pin that drops down is off centre and when it drops it catches on the metal making it almost imposible to pull up!

anyone experienced this before and know if theres an easy fix?,ive had it half apart and have managed to ease the problem but im still not happy with it

if anyone knows of a rear seat for sale cheap please let me know

thanks
dan

I had this, and have answered the question before.
It happens when you put the seat back up, without the base fully locked into the boot floor. Everyone tells you to fold the seat forward, kneel on it etc etc. The problem is that it won't fold forward in the first place!

I had to insert a pair of long node pliers to grip the pins that drop into the bracket (with a hole) which the seat swings over when you put the back up. Ease the pins up to clear the bracket (it is tricky, and sometimes you need to sets to make the pin clear the bracket). As soon as you have, push the seat back forward, and press the seat back down on the seat base (like everyone says).

The killer here is to make sure that the seat base is properly locked down (no gaps between the base and the boot floor) before you swing the back into place over the bracket. You have to bang the seat base down pretty hard in my experience. Hope this helps.

Al

Back