Forum Newbie

John DNA

Just wanted to say hello, I'm looking to get an A2 TDI and registered on the forum today, I had emailed regarding what the story was with tuners registering but got no reply so I've registered anyway!
I'm looking to get an A2 asap and thought I'd read up on what to look out for, already been put off open sky! Any other things to look out for would be much appreciatted :)

Cheers

John

I have the 1.4 petrol basic model which I find good to drive but i have not driven any of the other specs. I know there are loads of problems with the 17" alloy wheels buckling but not sure how many A2 with 17" wheels are affected. Mine has 15" wheels which dont seemed to be affected. See the many posts on here regarding the wheels

With regard to OpenSky, yes a few people have had problems and yes it could be quite expensive to fix if it goes wrong.
But so can an engine, or an ECU, or a gearbox, or an EGR valve or an..... well you get the picture.
On these forums you sometimes only get to hear the downside when things go wrong & not people writing on here to say 'my OpenSky worked fine today & has done for the last xx number of years'
For every one that has gone wrong, there are possibly 5 or 10,000 which work fine. The same goes for engines, ECU's, gearboxes etc.

Hi Rob Earl, I totally agree with you I have already posted a message outlining the fact that all you hear on the forum is when members have problems. I have open sky and it works well and has done for 2.5 years (thats how long I have owned the car).
Hope I havent tempted fate now.
Anyway just to point out that just because there are problems out there with the A2 they dont affect everycar. every make of car has its down side and problems and if you took notice of them all then quite frankly you would never buy a car just end up walking every where.
Bottom line is try and buy an A2 with a decent warranty if you can and just enjoy driving it

Well I was deciding between either the Petrol 1.4/1.6 then look at either wedging a 1.8T in there or turbocharging the original unit or getting the diesel and either wedging a 1.9PD lump in or modifying the standard turbo. As I want to keep some economy I'm going for the diesel initially and seeing where it leads me! What's the difference in the standard/SE/Sport specs? I normally only get involved in the software side of life and not the interior trim etc :)

Last edited:
Hi John, welcome to the A2oc
Your opening mail touched on the issue of tuners joining the club. Well as long as you have not joined with the sole intention of getting some free advertising (and it certainly does not look like that from your first posts) then you are more than welcome.
I may as well be the first to ask - does the DNA part of your name relate to the attached link.
http://www.dnatuning.com/cms/content/view/72/102/

Cheers Spike

Yes that's me!

I need to update my site as we're not selling the Abt stuff anymore but have developed our own tuning and the Abt stuff is way overpriced from my experience. However I'm so busy now that editing the website is another one of those jobs waiting to be done.

I'll be playing around with the A2 somewhat when I get it and would rather be on here as a member playing with a car rather than a tuner. There is life outside work after all! I thought best I make it clear I'm a tuner though rather than hide and then it come out later and people thought I was being covert.

What's attracted me to the A2 after owning an A3, a Golf and a Leon Cupra R is the fact that it still looks very new in design, it's an aluminium space frame chassis and it's very cheap to do alot of miles in, which is great for the environment obviously ;)

Back