Found knocking problem

Shaun's

Found out why the car sounds bad over bumps. Pushed the plastic spacer back into rubber bush and the car is silky smooth. Have a look first before you buy parts as I now have a set of new drop links I don't need. image.jpg

Hi glad you have found the cause---that is the problem with the early type roll bars. There is a newer one that has metal collars with no plastic bushing. You can also take those plastic spacers off and fit golf bushes instead with a battery clamp to hold the bar in place. cheers mike

Found out why the car sounds bad over bumps. Pushed the plastic spacer back into rubber bush and the car is silky smooth. Have a look first before you buy parts as I now have a set of new drop links I don't need. View attachment 17040

I would advise that you keep hold of the drop links, they can start to knock without much notice anyway.

Some people try using a jubilee clip to hold the rubber in, the chances are that it will come out again over time.
But resolving the knock easily and at zero cost is fantastic, well done.

Steve B

I'm going to order some new plastic spacer then put in new bushes. The old drop links are round steel bar and the new ones are flat bar bent into a u shape along the length and very light. Jubilee clip is good idea. Just to sort out cool down start problem now.

The old style roll bar incorporated integral plastic sleeves (or spacers) as a bearing surface for the roll bar rubber bushes. The spacers are not a replaceable part but often split and came loose due to rust build up which literally burst the plastic. The official Audi fix was a new design roll bar, without the plastic spacers but with additional steel collars to prevent the bar moving sideways in service.
Read more about roll bar fixes (official and a cheap fix) in this 'how to' - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?14474-Fitting-new-anti-roll-bar

Cheers Spike

Back