Fresh owner here from Cumbria

robskiA2tdi

Hi All, I'm Rob, just bought myself A2 1.4 tdi (AMF) in sea green. Always fancied one, Had Audi 90 1991 5cyl before and A6 C6 2.0 tdi then long break from Audis and now this little beauty.....No thread without question so there it is.....as its 3cyl engine does 2400rpm at motorway speed sounds ok? I was surprised seing this on diesel car tbh feels like 6th gear missing here (i wish)

Attachments

• a2_00y.jpg
    a2_00y.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 87
Yes that's perfectly normal. Owners have fitted the longer 5 speed JDD box or an MYP 6 speed to lower the revs at 70.

yes, completely normal. As I undertake motorway journeys from mid-Scotland to Plymouth reasonably regularly a 6-speed (PTW in the end as a sensibly-priced MYP wasn't available at the time) box became a bit of a no-brainer as 2700rpm+ for 9 hours or more was getting a bit wearing. The same at 2050rpm is much more pleasant.

yes, completely normal. As I undertake motorway journeys from mid-Scotland to Plymouth reasonably regularly a 6-speed (PTW in the end as a sensibly-priced MYP wasn't available at the time) box became a bit of a no-brainer as 2700rpm+ for 9 hours or more was getting a bit wearing. The same at 2050rpm is much more pleasant.
thx, i'm used to see just below 2000 rpm on my T5 2.5 but..but it is 6 speed auto and 5 cyl, felt bit worried to see 2400 or more cruising on mway in newly bought A2

speaking of which - couple of MYPs on Ebay for £330-360 delivered. Lowest I've seen for a while although possibly 1st generation (2011) so mileage may be a bit higher. Offers possible. No association with the adverts. No affordable PTWs at the moment.

Yep as Robin and others say, the six speed gearbox is very worthwhile. There’s an excellent thread on here with MYP in the title, however there are three other gearbox codes that also fit.

One of these other codes is PTW - both Robin and I have this fitted in our A2s - this code alone gives you longer gears 1-4 than the others and, having tried both, I prefer it especially in urban areas where 30mph is 1800rpm in 3rd gear rather than the 2000rpm the same speed with the MYP, PTW and NTG will give you.

Yep as Robin and others say, the six speed gearbox is very worthwhile. There’s an excellent thread on here with MYP in the title, however there are three other gearbox codes that also fit.

One of these other codes is PTW - both Robin and I have this fitted in our A2s - this code alone gives you longer gears 1-4 than the others and, having tried both, I prefer it especially in urban areas where 30mph is 1800rpm in 3rd gear rather than the 2000rpm the same speed with the MYP, PTW and NTG will give you.
is my understanding right that only concern would be speedo pulses from box or from abs based on box type

A less labour intensive option is a longer 5th. 10 years ago there was a very long thread on here about the different ratios to go for. I went for 0.65 and @Skipton01 did it. From memory a couple of hours.

I've still got a set of transmission gears in the garage somewhere. Can't remember which ratio they are, but I can supply them at cost if interested.

I also have a set of ping 5th gears that when fitted to a amf engine original gearbox gets you a true 70mph at 2120 revs

I can also fit these gears and do a gearbox oil change at the same time

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back