Front Driver Door Caught Wing?

mgag.1

Hi
Can anyone tell me why on Saturday (it was very hot in the car) when I opened the drivers door there seemed to be some resistance on opening and I discovered that the door edge was rubbing against the front wing?!
I think the door may of been off just before we bought it last week to fix the door strap and I wonder if they removed or loosened the bolts and maybe I need to adjust them to stop this happening again?
I presume it's just a very big Torx type bolt?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

The large bolts are multi torxs, but you don't need to remove the door to do the check strap, has the door had the hinge upgrade done for the aluminium fatigue if yes there will be a rubber boot around the top hinge

picture.php

Cheers Phil

The door hinges do not have the rubber bits as per your photo.

When we first viewed the car just over a week ago the drivers door wouldn't open fully as if the door strap was too short!

Then when the dealer said it would be sorted we went ahead and bought it & sure enough when we came to collect "Alfie" the following week everything seemed ok until the weird thing on Saturday with it rubbing on the front wing!

Is it a standard Torx(you mentioned "multi torx") bit I need or is it a special sort of torx bit to 'move' the door, as I already have a set of these but the fit doesn't seem that great or do you think moving the door is the wrong idea anyway?

Thanks Mark.

does all the geometry and shut lines look correct when the doors closed? maybe the doors been removed for a repair and not re-fitted properly, take a look and see if theres any marks on the painted torx screws on the hinges. I seem to recall the wise saying that the doors can drop slightly over time. Again carefully check the symmetry of the panels. Hopefully its all just needing adjusted. Do you know anyone at a good bodyshop? :)

If you can post a photo of the side of your car with the door closed we can have a look at it, just to add the check strap can't be short as its a STD size, as for the torx they are called security torx or spline drive and don't try to fit anything else in you with round them off

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil
When you say "security torx" I thought they were the type that had a hole in the centre of the bit so that they could be fitted but my torx bolts look fairly standard but the T50 bit I have seems to slop about a bit!

I wondered looking at these diagrams if the are more likely to be "triple squares" or "spline drives" instead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

Thanks Mark.

They are 12-point spline bolts (sometimes called security bolts, as Audi fit them in areas where you're not really supposed to undo them for no good reason, like the steering wheel and the seat runners).

Don't use a T50, get a proper set of keys, or as Phil rightly says, you'll round them off and then you'll be stuck!.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike

As per Wiki

The primary advantage spline drive and other special fasteners (such as torx) have over older standards, such as the common Phillips head (and its sibling Pozidriv), is that it resists cam-out, and is thus used in higher-torque applications. Incidentally, the spline drive is also often used in tamper-proof lug nuts on cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spline_drive

I will try a buy one?
Any idea what size?

Back