front fog lights

hi all new to all this
can you help want to fit front fog lights to my 2002 a2 found kit at vag parts but can anyone tell me if a2 is prewired

Welcome to the club, another Scot - hurrah!
Its not prewired. I bought a second hand fog light kit from another A2OC member and have fitted the fogs without the switch etc. I'm informed by Skipton that its a dash out job and a full days labour (for a pro) to run the necessary wiring, so I am leaving the lights as a cosmetic feature and fitting HID bulbs to the headlights. You may want to consider this unless you absolutely must have fogs (I know it can get pea soupy in your area!):D

The main obstacle in fitting the fogs is routing the wiring through the bulkhead to the relay and switch:

If you are happy to drill extra holes through the firewall, then great - go for it.

Personally, I am not happy with doing this and I only ever route through the existing wiring conduits (ask A2OC member PC759 - when I did his dash swap, I left a draw wire in place whilst the dash was out, so that it would make the routing of wires easier in the future if needed).

The basic wiring and fixing of the lamps is straight-forward enough, but the fogs themselves are pretty much useless in fog!

Coming back from Whitby today over the moors, visibility was down to about 20-30 metres in places and the fogs helped not a jot in terms of me seeing out to the road! The oncoming traffic will not see you any better than if you have your dipped beam on either, so as Murdo says, save your cash and get a decent HID upgrade instead.

Cheers,

Mike

i used a ring remote control and relay unit which is so easy to fit and cost £20on my bmw.

just connect the relay to your fogs and the appropriate wires to + and - and switch them off and on with you remote control in your car.....works a treat and quick to install.;)

fog lights

got myself a set of front fog lights and a ring remote control and relay unit
just wondering were the best place to get a + feed from do not want to run cable through car from battery any ideas

The main obstacle in fitting the fogs is routing the wiring through the bulkhead to the relay and switch:

If you are happy to drill extra holes through the firewall, then great - go for it.

Personally, I am not happy with doing this and I only ever route through the existing wiring conduits (ask A2OC member PC759 - when I did his dash swap, I left a draw wire in place whilst the dash was out, so that it would make the routing of wires easier in the future if needed).

The basic wiring and fixing of the lamps is straight-forward enough, but the fogs themselves are pretty much useless in fog!

Coming back from Whitby today over the moors, visibility was down to about 20-30 metres in places and the fogs helped not a jot in terms of me seeing out to the road! The oncoming traffic will not see you any better than if you have your dipped beam on either, so as Murdo says, save your cash and get a decent HID upgrade instead.

Cheers,

Mike
Hi Mike,

I'm planning a full dash removal.

Can you describe the location of the wiring conduit that you placed the draw wire in, specifically for fog lamp retro fit. Or is there simply just one conduit?

Thanks,
JW

There are loom entry points at either end of the firewall, just in from the corners of the windscreen - I used the one by the glovebox, as it is then easier to access without removing the full dash.

Cheers,

Mike

Back