Front inspection panel - smooth v fluted

John H

Hi again,

I notice that later cars have a fluted panel at the front (to mimic a radiator grille) where the earlier cars had a smooth panel. I presume this is just a part of a facelift, but my question is this ... what else does this signify?

Are there any other significant changes that go along with this grille? I gather there is a later engine spec (for the 75 bhp TDi) so can I tell this from the grille?

Many thanks in advance

John H

The new grill came with the 2004 model. More detailled: it came out about 8/03. So there may be some cars from model year 2004 with the old grill. But there is no other change (ok the 90hp TDI came out Mj 2004).
The engine specification number did change indead, but I can't say when.

Hi again,

I notice that later cars have a fluted panel at the front (to mimic a radiator grille) where the earlier cars had a smooth panel.

Me thinks the smooth panel with it's black mirrored finish looks much better, so I changed mine from fluted to smooth whereas others want the latest look and changed the other way!!

It's an easy job.

Fluted panel

The fluted panel was part of the 2004 model year package. On the whole, this was a very minor upgrade apart from the introduction of the TDI90 engine. Apart from a few minor changes like the interior trim colour combinations and seat trim pattern (especially to the sport model) the only significant change was the the diesel models became EURO4 compliant for the exhaust. This may have tax benefits in certain circumstances, such as the proposed new London congestion charge, and in time in other European cities which are proposing to have a sticker on the windscreen coloured green, amber or red depending on the exhaust polution levels. Depending on local air quality, red stickered cars would be banned, then amber, and finally green stickered cars. Clearly, Euro4 compliant vehicles will be at an advantage over older Euro3 compliant vehicles.

When I first started looking at A2s, I was very impressed with one with the slatted grille. The one I bought then had the smooth one. I thought about replacing it to give it the look of a more modern A2 but then had a few debates on here and realised that the slatted grille was Audi's attempt to "normalise" the car.

So I kept the smooth one as, to me, it is a part of what is great about the car. That little out of the ordinary piece!

So I kept the smooth one as, to me, it is a part of what is great about the car. That little out of the ordinary piece!

Totally agree and I have been thinking of obtaining a smooth one to replace my own slatted inspection panel.

Finding one in good condition and at a good price is easier said than done though.

I feel like the odd one out! I have been looking for a slatted panel to replace my smooth one. Like all A2 parts they are hard to come by in good nick at sensible money!

Do Vagparts not do them? When I was thinking of changing to slatted, that was where I was going to get it.

If anyone has a smooth one for sale, please let me know.
I have one. Perfect condition but 17€ shipping to GB ;)

Does everyone know, that there are three differerent grills, not only two? ;)
The smooth black high gloss, the matt black from the color-storm version and the new one from 2004 ..

And there are two versions of the chrom around. The new grill-version from 2004 is different. The new versions chrom is more fat:

Last edited:
Back