Front Tyre wear

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecoangel

The A2 is a very grippy little beastie and like most sporty front wheel drive suspension setups it's the front tyres that bear the brunt of it's cornering and acceleration/deceleration efforts. No amount of electronic traction control or stabilisation technology is gonna get rid of the associated increased tyre wear.

However, steering geometry quite literally has a hand in the matter.

Has anyone experienced major tyre wear on the front? Both inners on mine are very worn after just 11000. Max tread 3mm. Rears are still 6mm plus.

I believe there is a fair bit of negative camber (top of tyre slightly inboard of bottom) on front wheels of these cars.

Anyone got the figures for camber/castor and alignment? Is the 1.2 different from the 1.4 in this respect? 1.2 uses skinny 145/80 R14s with incredibly low rolling resistance - Bridgestone B381.

The winter tyres (Mud + Snow not Marks n Sparks!)are much chunkier Continentals.

Best Regards to all this Christmas!

Lukas - photos @ A2OC site soon

A2 1.2 TDI

I have a similar front tire consumption on my 1.2 TDI.

Martin

Hi,

I've got a 1.4 Tdi and done almost 30.000 km. Front tires look almost new. But I drive mostly on the highway.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I dito Dennis! Mine has
39k km on the clock with still of plenty of rubber to go. Also the front tyres are only slightly more used than the back ones.

A2 1.4TDI Silver, CC, Blaupunkt Hamburg CD70, still fairly standard :(

I agree the tyre wear appears to be 'most agreeable'

icon_smile_cool.gif

I'm switching to my wintertires soon, I wonder if they wear quicker....

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I replaced my front tyres at 35k miles. Rears are still good at 52k miles. It's the low weight of the car which shopuld keep the tyre wear down, under acceleration and braking.

Paul
1.4TDi, leather, Open Sky, BOSE, 6 CD, alu trim, cruise, DIS, etc. etc.

Thanks ya'll
You can now see tyre wear and indeed winter tyre fitting on A2OC website - UK owners pics page 20. I am having the tracking sorted on Monday.

Cheers and God bless

Lukas

1.2 TDI
Nottingham UK

hello from a new member
i had a similar problems with my front tyres after the car had only done 11000 miles and this is on an audi A2 1.4 tdi the front tyres had worn down to nearly being bald on the inside tread when i took my car in to the audi dealer they gave me a new set of front tyres and carried out a 4 point wheel alignment under warranty of course!!
Conclusion front wheels out of alignment in camber and rear wheels out of alignment from the front tyres thus causing excessive tread wear on the front tyres.
Reason for tyres being out of alignment is due to a few factors going over speed bumps and hitting bad pot holes in the road these can knock the alignment out on the rear wheels and thus cause the wear on the front tyres.
Also power steering can cause this excessive tread wear on the inside edge.Thats what i have picked up to be the contributing factors causing the wear on front tyres from audi UK reps.

Kind Regards

andrew simmons (A2OC0149)

A.D.Simmons

Andrew

The tyres on my TDi were wearing +++ at 14,000 miles of mostly motorway driving. The (not Audi) garage who checked the alignment said that only the front-wheel toe-in is adjustable on an A2. Their conclusion was that the camber on one of my front wheels was right at the manufacturer's limit and I would have to live with a higher tyre wear than average. They said this fault has nothing to do with my driving...

Is there a forum expert who can settle all this for us?

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

Most VW's alllow for Camber adjustment on front MacPhearson Strut / shock absorber by a slotted top hole of the 2 holes for bolts holding wheel/disc/bearing casting to shock. Same for most saloon race cars like my Fiat 127 - can go up to 5 degree negative - very bad for wear but fun round bends!

Alignment done thro same guy that Audi dealer uses - Cost from him direct £37, cost of same job thro dealer: £115 !

Only front needed adjustment but car still veers slightly to left unless held in check

I'd be worried if the car did not veer slightly left - it is the effect of gravity pulling you down the camber of the road. On a flat car park it should run straight - if not go back and complain about the tracking.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.

My Audi dealer confirmed yesterday that only the toe-in is adjustable on an A2, unlike, say a Golf I or II which have adjustable camber. He said the camber on my car will have been the same since it was new, and will be the same until it goes to a scrapyard, unless it has a serious accident. He said normal road use does not upset the camber measurement.
He added that the rear suspension is not adjustable.

ianjohnsonws14 and ecoangel.
I agree about the car veering down the camber. You could find an empty bit of country road and drive on the right hand side of the road to see if the car veers towards the right-hand side. My car does, but not much.

'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

Alignment chaps suggested swapping the two front tyres around - will see if that helps!

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

I correct my Audi dealer's advice there is only one possible adjustment on the front suspension.

According to an official Audi A2 info leaflet in German "Der Sturz kann durch Verschieben des Aggregatetraegers und der beiden vorderen Konsolen ausgemittelt werden. Die Spur wird ueber die Spurstangen rechts und links getrennt werden."

My German is not good enough to translate this, but clearly two of the measurements of the front suspension can be adjusted.

'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back