Frugal motoring addiction.

Keithb

I've been driving my A2 for nearly 5 years now and unfortunately it is time for me to move on. So I bought one of these.
IMG_0722.jpg

Volvo V50 1.6DrivE.

It's supposed to be near the realms of A2 TDI frugalness, but I'll have to see that to believe it.

O and FEAR NOT A2 buddies...my dearly loved A2 is now my wifes motor. So I'll still drive it at the weekends...and in the evenings...and maybe in the mornings when I take her to work :D
The Volvo is merely for longer distance driving and to carry my bikes to cycling events.

I've read good things about the 1.6 diesel engine. 50-60mpg looks to be very achievable, maybe more :)

I'm a regular on the Volvo Forums as the owner of an S40 on the same platform as the V50. The 1.6D is a Ford/Peugeot-Citroen unit but in the Volvo it seems to suffer nothing like the reported problems in Ford and Peugeot Citroen cars. I know many owners struggle to get the 70ish MPG that Volvo reckon is possible but in the 60s should be normal.

Just watch out for Eloys tank topups at each 70k at about 100 quid and some versions of the 4 cylinder diesels require a new DPF at 70k intervals. That's a brutal bill so might be prudent to check if your model is one of those.

I have loved Volvo ownership over the last 8 years and mine has given me little trouble up to the 90k it's at now. It's a comfortable and well built car and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The Volvo Forums are generally a helpful place too.

P.S. love the colour!

Last edited:
dammit you got the colour i wanted. just handed back my black v50 drive after two years. no complaints whatsoever. enjoy.

I fitted the R Design interior parts over the weekend and it looks ace now (pictures later) :).

It is the DPF version and it has recently had the DPF service (700ish quid 8-o), however for future reference I have found a place in Wrexham who are like our friends 'Stealth Racing' but for Volvos :). They remove the filter and do a remap...and we all love a good remap don't we.

I also bought the R Design body kit so its off to my bodyshop buddy this Friday for some paint attention (bodykit paint/fit and an overall mop). :-D

Back