FSI - intermittent noise and no power at all when accelerating

Hi

I recently purchased an A2 1.6 FSI and have been having a frequent but intermittent problem with acceleration. Sometimes, particularly in hot weather, pulling away in first and accelerating in second and third gears produces a noise as if there is hole in the exhaust. This noise is accompanied by a severe delay in actually starting to move forward in first (even if you floor the accelerator) and jerky acceleration in second and third. Once you get past about 2000rpm the car then accelerates ok and the problem calms down. It accelerates fine when this noise isn't present. The car is running on Optimax, although I'm not sure whether the previous owner and dealer did that.

I took the car into the local Audi dealer earlier in the week and took a technician out on a test drive who agreed that the problem existed and after watching me floor the accelerator to pull away and it not go anywhere for a second or two acknowledged that it's pretty dangerous at roundabouts etc.. However, when I went to pick the car up they claimed to not be able to find a fault other than the bonnet not being shut properly and suggested this might have been causing it!

Does any one have any ideas on what the problem might be? Or failing that, how to get Audi to look into it more?!

Richard

Hi,

When you are pulling away at slow speeds, does the noise sound like a diesel engine from cold accompanied by a lack in power? This is similar to how my FSI responds, and it's because of the way the FSI engine works at low revs. I find that by altering my driving style, it's not a problem. The FSI engine doesn't generally respond well to having hard acceleration from slow speeds. If you ease it in, and keep the revs up before changing up then it behaves better.

Ben

Wife has an FSI, Sport 04 and it drives me crazy for the same reason. Some situations it seems fine other times it bogs down badly when pulling away. When running it often seems very hesitant to throttle response as if over fueled?

Back