FSI or TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Luke16v

Hi all.

I'm new to the site and have yet to purchase my a2. I've had an FSI SE out over the last few days on an extended test drive. I am as always very impressed with audi's build quality and the way in which the car feels.

I do however have a hard choice to make, my local dealer have a selection for me all at very good price's. So do I go for a 10 month old amulet red FSI sport with symphony cd, climate control, park assist and about 10k on the clock and stick with the silence of the petrol engine?

Or do I go for the brand new silver 1.4 tdi sport with climate, bose, symphony cd, park assist, fog lights, rear elictric windows?

Both are on offer at very good prices but can't really make my mind up. Do I go for the brand new car and pay a little more? Or do I go for the quicker FSI model but settle for less extra's?

Any thoughts would be great people, cheers.

The TDI probably isn't that much less in power as the Turbo gives it quite a kick due to the torque, plus you save more money on fuel and Tax!! I actually like the growl of the diesel, I think it sounds more agressive when you pull away. The sport wheels and seats are a lot better also.

But I'm bound to say that cos I own a silver TDI Sport...

Silver TDI Sport | 17 inch TT alloys | Audi bodykit | CD | Climate control | Custom Badges
visit: http://www.mediacitizen.com/audi

I have recently bought an FSI as my company car, replacing a Saab. I have a mate with a Tdi and we are continually comparing the cars.

My advice is unless you need the lower tax band that the FSI benefits from ( the Tdi gets the 3% added to its normally very low rating)go for the Tdi; the performance deficit is negilible as the torque of the diesel is good. It also has more character and is miles better on fuel; I cannot better 38 mpg but my mates Tdi returns 50. The Bose system is excellent and my advise would be to get the 16' wheels as they ride better; my sports setup is very hard! The 17' kerb far too easily.
Happy choosing...
Jono

The choice for TDI or FSI depends on the mileage you're gonna accomplish. The diesel naturally is more durable, the FSI is simply faster but also much more thirstier

If you're sensitive to noises, take the FSI, for fun and extensive mileage the TDI is the choice

Regards!

Have you had the opportunity to drive a TDi A2, if not, get an extended test drive in that to start with. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the power which isn't that much down on the FSI on the road, especially when you feel the 'kick' as the turbo does its stuff.

I had a TDi when the FSI came out last year so had a test drive in the FSI and to be honest I wasn't impressed, however it was a newish car and maybe needed loosening up. I did push it in the gears but found the engine sounded quite gruff. The 0 - 60 sprint didn't seem any faster than the TDi on the road. If you like using lots of revs (and super unleaded, if you want the performance)then the FSI is the one for you. For me, the TDi suits my every day driving style these days as it has plenty of torque.

As for running costs, what running costs? Excellent fuel consumption, 50+ mpg easily, up to 30,000 miles/2 years servicing, low cost road fund licence.

If there is one thing I could change it would be tickover engine noise, but hey, we can't have everything.

As for used versus new, my fist A2 was a 6 month old demonstrator with 7,000 miles on the clock and my current car was brand new. Much of a muchness here, you pays your money and takes your choice. I did get told by the salesman that you won't get back your money for optional extras but it'll make your car more desirable when you come to sell it on. Get the new one, you know you want to.......

Hope this helps and happy deciding.

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

I would say go for the TDi. I have had mine a month or so and been very pleased with it. Over 60mpg and cruises the motorways well at a steady 85/90 (Local speed limit dependant)

The engine tone is good when accelerating and I'm sure the Bose will help you ignore the tickover noises[8D]

2002 TDi SE, Dolphin Grey,Black/grey interior,climate,CD.

Thanks chaps, I will take the tdi out for a test run and see what I think.
It also seems quite easy to get a lot more out of the tdi just by chipping it, which I'm told can now be done by my dealership.

I don't do that many miles and mainly use my current work car just for town jorneys and the occasional motor way cruise.

TDI any day... it has loads of character and quite a few FSI owners on here have complained that the FSI is very dead, especially when taking off at junctions etc, if you don't put pedal to the metal every time... and then your fuel consumption suffers because FSI technology is only good at light throttle for the supposed fuel saving... The TDI has LOADS of torque... so 4 up with all their luggage you don't even feel the extra people... instant surge in traffic in any gear including 5th... in most petrols you have to gear down to get the same results...

Forget the 0-60 times, look at the 50-70 and 60-70 in gear accelaration times between FSI and TDI and you'll see the difference...

and remember that spring 2004 Audi is launching the uprated 90bhp Tdi in the UK...

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

I've got the Symphony and BOSE combination as well and it is a cracker believe me... reading a lot of car magazines it is also the only combination that ALWAYS gets a mention in the like column - this exact radio combination is used in A3 and A4 adn A6 and the old A8...

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

The TDI is probably faster in give and take situations on the road than the FSI and far more econmical.

But for me the noise in the cabin, the heavier front end and the gearing put me off. If I was doing 20k+ miles a year I might reconsider.

It'll be interesting to see how they price the new 90bhp TDi when it arrives.

Dave

1.6SE

After much thought and consideration, I've gone for........................

The new silver TDI with all the goodies, the price and running costs would have been to good to miss.

Can't belive how cheap the insurance is. My old second car which the a2 will replace is an 1989 vw jetta 1600 tx. Belive it or not the a2 which is a sport tdi is cheaper fully comp than the jetta was tpft.

I pick her up on saturday once she has been taxed, can't wait and I'm pretty sure I've made the right choice. That bose system and the cd player are great and the engine not as noisy as other tdi's I've driven.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Congrats Luke.

If you're really enthusiastic, you can pick it up Sat morning and meet us at Castle Coombe. That would really give you a chance to see how she goes.;)

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 on order. Only a month to go now - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

I would love to, I do go to a lot of the vag meetings around the season but unfortunatly I have to work as soon as I get back.

Will have plenty of chances next year though. The A2's first major task will be the drive to the NEC to visit the motor show at the end of this month.

I picked her up on saturday, I have to say im really impressed so far. And the bose system is simply out of this world! Just got to get used to the engine now and work out how to get the best from it.

Congratulations Luke and a good choice. I'm sure you'll be happy with the TDi although your local filling station won't be as you'll not have to fill up as often.

From my own experience, the engine loosened up after about 6,000 miles and that's when the fuel consumption figure improved. This weekend I got 53 mpg @ 80+ mph and 71 mpg @ 60ish mph.

As long as you don't let the revs drop lower than 1500 rpm in any given gear she'll sing along happily all day.

What does your next service due indicator say?

Happy motoring

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

My service due indicator says 9500 miles to next service, I have only done a hundred miles so far though so I expect that will go up.

Photos to follow soon!

Hi, i've just got an FSi hmmmm not impressed with the engine. The rattle from cold is just acceptable but you get a strange vibration through the pedals !! I take this is a knock on effect from the direct injection system. Fuel economy is good for a petrol lump but the large flat spot on intial acceleration is poor for nippy town driving and you need to ring the engine out for any real fun !!!!. Motorway cruising at 90 + is good for such a small high design. But I agree with the others the BIG wheels look cool but give a poor ride. Can i ask the question do these cars grow on you as at the moment i'm in two minds

Storm

Others on the forum have complained about the vibration through the pedals on the FSI. Tell your dealer-even if they can't do anything they should raise it as a fault with Audi UK/Germany. If enough people shout and all that....

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Houston we have a problem ...... FSi sports suspension just a tad too stiff, a friend of mine has an FSi, and managed to launch his coke can out of the holder whilst driving around the M25 near the M1 turnoff where there is a large dip in the road. Well he now has a sticky mess !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back