FSI owners question - Dipstick colour??

davidu

A2OC Donor
Can any FSI owners confirm that there is a dipstick available with an orange/coloured level reader? As has been covered many times before, the black ridged one is pretty useless. Mike (Skipton) had the idea they had all changed to orange, i've tried checking with a dealer but they didn't know. From what i can gather the part number hasn't changed.

Has anyone else ordered a new dipstick for the FSI and what colour has arrived? I have done a search for this but i can't find an answer i'm afraid.

Thanks v much

David

My July 2003 FSI has a black dipstick with an orange top and orange ball part way down. The bottom level reader is still black though - and thoroughly difficult to read reliably.

Ben

Yup, mine is an 02 and sure is a pain in the ass to read the dip stick. Such a silly design. Any ideas to get a better idea if I need to top up the oil rather than Guess?

Thanks for the replys...decided just to order a new one and see what colour arrives. Is bizarre that the dipstick has the orange top part and that ball part way down but the level reader is in black.

Will let you know whether a brand new one comes in a more useful colour....

Other than that, the only idea i had to make it more readable was to somehow paint it in something that could withstand the temperatures the oil reaches...or is that just a bit crackers??

Well i finally got a new dipstick and its........

......black!!

The level reader that is. Strangely they do seem to have changed the material the flexible stick itself is made from, the handle is orange and the ball midway down is orange but the reader itself is, i'm afraid, still black! It doesn't seem to have the row of little ridges the old one has so maybe that makes it easier to read...i doubt it but i'll give it a go!

Anyway just thought i would report for those FSI owners out there who might be wondering....

Cheers

David

David,
you won't risk much painting the bottom plastic part in a light color (heat resistant paint).
BTW, mine is black too :(

May I ask what is that "underseat storage box" that you have ?

Regards,
Fabrice

Hi Fabrice,

I might try to paint the dipstick end then, see if that helps? Is beyond me why someone at Audi thought a black dipstick was a good idea??

The underseat storage box is an Audi accessory for the A2. It fits in the rear footwells and fixes on the anchorpoints provided by the Audi carpet mats. Lifts in and out quite easily, has a hinged lid and is quite handy for keeping things hidden and the car tidy. Also good if you have younger children as they stand on that rather than in the rather deep footwells of the A2.

Got mine off eBay, but they should still be available from Audi (about £120 in the uk), and in the colour to match your interior (well mines in light grey although my interior is beige but I had then in my previous a2's).

Had a quick look on here to see if there were any brochures so you could see a picture. Couldn't just see one but someone may be able to point in the right direction?

Cheers

David

Thanks for your reply David.
Now I see what theses boxes are :) (called "spacefloor" or something, I think)
I thought they were some kind of "drawer" that slid under the front seat.
Cheers,
Fabrice

Thanks Spike! I knew there would be a picture on here somewhere...

Actually if anyone has the beige one (as in the photo) which they no longer want I'd be interested in buying it!

Thanks

David

Wheres the best place to buy a new dipstick - i have a 51 plate TDI, where the end has broken off, god knows where the bit is!

i feel i should buy a new one.

cheers

John

The 1.6 FSI dipstick does appear to only come with a black tip which make is almost impossible to read.

I checked with an Audi dealer in Dublin and they checked the part numbers. The dipstick is the same part no. since 2003 so it was never replaced with one of a different colour.:mad:

Back