Fuel Cap Tether

TFG

A2OC Donor
As topic title: Mine has just snapped where it had perished in the middle bit. Are the tethers available separately, or do I have to buy a whole fuel cap?

Cheapest option is to get a 2nd hand one. Suggest you post in the Wanted section of Marketplace, as guys with parts keep an eye on this.

I have ended up getting Febi Bilstein ones three times as each car in turn has needed a new fuel cap - FB part number 27288. 6-7 quid for the FB with free delivery from Ebay - the really cheap ones for these usually have delivery from Germany or similar on top so end up more expensive.

The tether is a separate part to the cap. Although I have not tried to find it, I have swapped the tether from a good petrol cap onto my broken diesel cap. If you look very closely where the tether joins the ring on the cap you will see 2 tiny little plastic "rivets", gently push them out and the tether separates from the cap, just put new tether in position and push the little plastic pins back in.

Many thanks to all. I had thought about getting a s/h one but figured even the newest ones will be starting to perish by now. @audifan do you know of a source for just the tether? Failing that, I've got to get a few bits from Autodoc, so I'll probably go with a Febi replacement; hopefully it's of the same quality as the original.

Sorry do not know where to get just the tether, but if the replacement is not that good swap over the tether.

I had the same issue. I found a small plastic tube and used aradite to join the broken cable but it only lasted a few months as the rubber had perished. Made me think about all the other rubber perishing in the A2 :(

I suspect that age isn't the main factor in the deterioration of your fuel cap tether, rather exposure to diesel fumes. If I'm right, then buying a used replacemet would be fine, providing you knew that it came off a petrol A2.

All the caps for diesel that I have seen have the word DIESEL on them. Really is easy to swap over the tether. Wonder if just the tether is used elsewhere in the VAG range, may be a cheaper source now A2 getting a little thin and prices on the up.

Here is a generic Febi cap but the 2 rivets can be seen in the picture. As can the point the strap comes out the cap.

cap rivets.jpg

Hi,

I have replaced the tether on both an A2 and my A4 with this item from ebay. It's the same tether for both cars and quality seems okay, just takes a while to be delivered.

Thanks,

Matt.

Yes loads of China caps available, and nothing wrong with them. This was more aimed at showing it is possible to just replace the retaining strap for those that still want to use their original A2 cap.

Yes loads of China caps available, and nothing wrong with them. This was more aimed at showing it is possible to just replace the retaining strap for those that still want to use their original A2 cap.

My apologies, I should have made clear that I have used the tether from the new cap with the existing A2 fuel cap.

Thanks,

Matt.

Even better as that is probably the cheapest way to get a NEW retaining strap. Just be aware some caps have a longer strap or different fitting for the car end.

I ordered one off ebay from China https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Cap...olf-Jetta-Bora-Polo-Audi-A4-Seat/382715169582 at £3.94 . Came pretty quick. Didn't try it for fit but easily removed the 2 pins using a thick paperclip - thanks audifan Actually when I received it I noticed a hairline crack from the edge of the cap to one of the pins.

However, I couldn't push the pins out of the A2's original cap. Worried I may break it if I pushed too hard I drilled the pins out, starting with a drill about 1/2 the size of the pins and trying hard to keep it vertical. I then drilled with a bigger bit and they came out but of course damaged.

So I used the pins from the new cap, went in easily but are only 1/3 to 3/4 as long so I dropped some superglue in them. Took a picture but couldn't get a good shot. I'm sure it's good enough.

Last edited:
Funnily enough my fuel cap from China arrived in the post today only a week after ordering. I gently prised the rotating ring from the original cap off upwards using a small screwdriver. I then bashed the Chinese one to bits with a hammer (couldn't get the new ring off) to free the new ring and pushed it down onto the old original cap. I now have the correct "diesel" fuel cap with a new Chinese swivel ring and retaining tether all for £3. ? :)

@Special edition , what was wrong with your original genuine cap. If it was just the tether broken, easily swapped over by pushing out the two little plastic rivets and doing the same on the broken cap, new tether on old cap two rivets pushed back in. On the other hand if the rotating ring was broken I can understand the frustration trying to get the bit off and then back on.

@Alan_uk The pins sometimes come out only one direction, even had to remove them in opposite directions. Bit late now I know but may be of help to someone else.;)

Back