Fuel consumption

a2snow

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be with my gas-guzzling TDi 75 ? Gentle driving gets mid 40s mpg compared with 50-60 that other owners seem to get. In other cars my driving style gets above Govt figs. At the recent service (by Audi) no obvious problem was found. Can anyone help ??!!

Are you looking at figures collected during the cold winter weather? I find that having the auxilliary heater going (outside temp below 5 degC) knocks about 3 or 4 mpg off the usual 50-52 mpg that we otherwise get.

NB this is an early TDI75 with the Webasto diesel burning Aux heater - some of the later ones might be electric.

It does have climate control which I leave on auto. Also the Sky sunroof could add to the weight but I still seem to be getting poor figures. My brother visited yesterday in his top spec Picasso (including climate control and two glass roofs also) and he is getting better mpg in a much bigger car !

Any more ideas ??!!

Have now checked a friend's BMW 320 Touring (much bigger car and engine) and he is getting 50mpg with similar driving !!!! Any ideas as to what could be wrong with my A2 TDi would be greatly appreciated.

I've watched this thread develop over the last few days and it's now time to add my comments!

I'm now on my second A2 - the first was a 75BHP TDi SE, my current one a 90BHP TDi Sport. The biggest single buying decision that got me into an A2 was the claimed fuel economy, with Audi claiming 80mpg for the extra urban cycle and an average of 65mpg overall.

My first A2 was woefully inadequate, getting low 40's on average and it was thoroughly checked by the dealer (they had the car virtually every weekend for the first 2 months of ownership). In the end, after giving the car the all-clear, I basically had to accept the fact that it was never going to be as good as Audi claimed.

I also did some research at this point as to how the official consumption figures are obtained - it turns out that the figures are actually theoretical, because they are derived from runningthe engine on a test-bed whilst OUT OF THE CAR!!!!

That's right, they take the engine in question out of the car, strap it to a trolley and then subject it to the equivalent of about 10 kilometres of simulated driving, from which they extrapolate the figures quoted in the marketing blurb.

With this in mind, claimed economy then took a far lower priority when I bought my next A2, in which I now get about 47-50mpg in normal everyday driving in and around Manchester and 52-55mpg on a motorway run. I don't drive like a loon, but every so often, I like to 'release the horses', but most of the time, I drive with economy in mind.

So basically, don't believe the hype - you'll never get more than 60mpg on average from a diesel A2, unless it's a 1.2 TDi or you drive like a nun, without any electrical equipment on and all the windows always closed.

That's my two-penneth-worth anyway. I'm now considering getting a 3.2 V6 A3 sportback and having a gas conversion done on it - it'll go like sh1t off a shovel and return the equivalent (in monetary terms) of 60mpg as well. For the reasons why, see my other posts regarding the loss of power steering - I've basically lost confidence in the A2 that I specced up from new and love to bits! Pity

a2snow said:
It does have climate control which I leave on auto.
This means the Aux heater will start up when the outdoor temp is below about 5 degC. You can cancel it by pressing the Econ button (either completely or just for a moment - see the Owners manual).

Skipton - re the gas conversion. How much boot space will you have left?

If the 3.2 V6 DSG has a spare wheel well in the boot (as most A3's do), then the gas tank will replace it, taking up no extra space effectively.

I would go for an FSI engine, but these cannot be converted apparently.

I really don't understand the huge apparent variability in owners fuel consumption on the A2 1.4 Tdi. I've only had my 05 registered A2 (75 ps) a couple of months and have completed 4000 miles, and with a total of 10,000 on the clock now. I drive reasonably, certainly not a nun at the wheel, and have checked the consumption at every fill. To date the average between fill ups has varied from 64 to 69 mpg. This is through the coldest part of the winter and with a reasonably tight engine. I suspect after a few more months of loosening up and with warmer weather then 70+ mpg should be easily attainable.

The only mitigating factor I can claim is that I live in a rural area and have an easyish 50 mile round trip on A and B roads for commuting. However, whenever I've spent a deal of time in stop-start traffic I can't say I've noticed a marked effect on fuel economy.

Economy normally suffers when driving on a full throttle load i.e. with maximum acceleration and driving at maximum speeds. Beyond this I cant offer a reasonable explanation of poor economy. If I were recording figures below the mid 50's to the gallon then I would think that there is something wrong somewhere!

Good luck to all,

Paul

I suspect the type of journey must have something to do with it. My average trip is 7 miles - as opposed to Paul's 25!

My average journey is about 13 miles, to and from Manchester, but as I said before, on a run up to my parents in the middle of the Scottish highlands, doing a steady 65-70mph, I can only get 55mpg max!

I think length of journeys might have something to do with it. Is it me, or am I right in thinking that the A2 takes a long, long time to warm up in the mornings! I reckon I've driven a good 5 or 6 miles before the temperature gauge even begins to show signs of flickering into life.

Skipton, 55 mpg for a long run in the 90ps Tdi seems like good value to me.

Paul

Paul, I kind of agree with you. The only niggles I have are that Audi claims 80mpg for extra-urban driving and that other, larger and more powerful cars can also achieve this figure.

With all the emphasis put on the all-aluminium construction and the low drag of the A2, I really would have expected it to have gotten a lot nearer to Audis figures, say 65-ish mpg extra urban or 55-60 combined that's all.

Skipton, you're right! I don't think it is unreasonable to expect economy close to, or better than Audi's figures, particularly when cruising on a long run.

Just another fe thoughts. Mine's a basic SE model with the 175 tyres. I don't know what the sport has, but guess they're probably 195, or even 205 width. Do you think the increased tyre width could account for the lower consumption through a higher rolling resistance and slightly increased drag coefficient!

Paul

Paul, you amy be correct, in that yes, the Sport does have 205-section tyres.

However, having long been a fan of the A2 since its introduction in 1999, I have several copies of Audis marketing blurb, from various years since then. It is interesting to not that originally, the TDi was listed as doing 80mpg extra-urban. This was for the 75bhp version, but this figure was revised down to 78mpg sometime in 2003.

At the same time, the 90bhp version was introduced which was quoted as being capable of 80mpg, exactly as before with the old 75 figure. This was understandable as the gearing was slightly different on the 90.

Basically, I think that the car buying public should really be pressuring the manufacturers to publish real-world figures, especially now that fuel consumption is (or should be) playing a bigger part in peoples buying criteria - don't forget that in all probability, oil will runout within our life-time, or certainly sometime this century.

I got 80mpg, ONCE! To get it I had to use far too much restraint. I have never come close since with my normal driving style. My usual commute is about 16 miles and I can just manage 70mpg on the way into town. Coming home I am lucky to get 50mpg. Congestion at the start of the journey means that the MPG takes a bit hit. My local council have recently installed 12 speed cushions near my home and I have noticed that my average mpg has gone down on the way into town. I really have to slow down to go over them - 10mph. I have noticed that French cars tend not to slow down and I bet their mpg doesn't suffer because of this.

No, but I bet their suspension does.

Oh, I forgot, French cars have the sloppiest suspension set-ups in the world!

Just come back from a trip to Leeds and back from Manchester, in my A3 courtesy car (2.0 TDi DSG S-Line) and it's averaged 49mpg!

It's heavier than an A2, it's less streamlined, has a bigger engine and is far pokier, but yet it equals my Tdi 90 Sport! Where's the sense/justice in that?

<i>So basically, don't believe the hype - you'll never get more than 60mpg on average from a diesel A2, unless it's a 1.2 TDi or you drive like a nun, without any electrical equipment on and all the windows always closed.</i>

I have to disagree. I keep log for business purposes. Over the last 9,222 mls I've got 61.6 mpg with a 75 TDI SE and 20K on the clock. Mostly A roads with some B and M roads. Little town driving, climate always on auto, windows always closed! If I'm near to a town I will wait until the low fuel alarm goes and then note the trip setting before resetting it. The intermediate mpgs have varied from 59 to 65.

I tend to shift quickly up through the gears to max speed allowed, or to the general traffic speed if lower, and then settle down and try to anticipate the road ahead to avoid the brakes - it's incredible how so many people drive so close or drive too quickly into corners they are aways on the brakes.

Some things for A2SNOW to try

What temperature have you set your electronic climate control to? I usually have mine set to 19 degrees. Setting it higher has an impact on mpg on my 2001 A2 TDI SE.

At what revs do you change gear? When I bought my A2, I was surprised to read in the manual that 2000 rpm is recommended. I rarely rev beyond 3000 rpm. There is no need. Driving at 1200 to 1400 rpm feels weird at first, but it is at these revs where I see my average mpg rise.

Try driving like a nun just for the first mile or so of any journey. I find that if my average mpg starts low, it takes a long journey to bring up the average.

Small diesel engines can take a while to warm up, unless the aux heater jumps in and gives it a helping hand below 7 degrees. They do not warm up if you start the engine and let it idle. In cold winter weather, I can get the engine temperature guage to go down from it's normal position, by setting the climate control temperature and fan speed to max ;)

I would like to know the fuel consumption from owners of the 1.4 petrol engines. Seems to be mostly the TDi drivers who are complaining about the MPG they are getting. Us petrol engine drivers get far less but still very good MPG compared to other makes of cars. I am getting between 45 and 50 mpg which i think is great much much better than my peoguet 306 1.4
Can any one out there who has the 1.4 petrol equal that or improve on it. I dont drive fast and change gear at around 2500 revs getting into 5th gear ASAP. driver around town in 5th gear when I can too.

Back