Fuel ecomony

Wookiee

I have a 1.4 TDI 75 and have been able to obtain 72mpg on a good run over to Wales using Shell Diesel. Has anyone been able to obtain a higher fuel economy. Should Audi have discontinued the A2 after manufacturing 175000 cars or should they have continued considering the potential of ever increasing fuel prices. My previous car could reach 44mpg on a similar run.

72 mpg is some serious fuel economy; any tips you can share? I too have 1.4 TDi 75ps but the best I have achieved zipping up and down the M1 is around 65mpg. I average around 60 mpg and tend to keep to a steady 80 mph (sorry officer, must be a typing error!) but haven't been able to improve on the 65 mpg by keeping to 60 or 70 mph.

Hence my driving style on the motorway seems to make little difference. The better figures occur in the summer and worst figures in winter. The only explanation I can think of is the higher viscosity of the diesel in winter sapping power for the pump/injector system and less efficient combustion as cooler intake air.

Chris

Fuel economy

Cheers for the comments. The last journey I did was a complete mixture of roads but did not really involve urban driving and the air temperature got as high as 8 degrees celcius and the economy came out at 70mpg. I cannot definately say it is factors such easy acceleration or a high gear as soon a possible but having mechanical sympathy and keeping the tyres correctly inflated.

I certainly notice a change in economy between winter and summer but allowing the engine to warm up a soon as possible naturally is paramount to increased economy.

We have a 90tdi with only 9.000 on the clock. The fuel economy is not particularly good, although I have never recorded anything, and I put this down to the engine not being really run in yet and that we have climate control on, most of the time. My assumption is quite haphazard and is based on the amount of times between fills compared with a petrol Corsa 1.2 which was pretty good. The normal journey is around half an hour each way with some traffic delays as you enter and leave Brighton. Would any other 90tdi drivers be able to give figures that might be achievable as I would like to get down to some serious recording.
We use Esso diesel and the car is nearly 14months old. We have not had a service yet. I check all service points regularly and especially the tyre pressures. We do not drive at excessive speeds, 50/60 is our norm and on motorways will go to 80 on occassions.

I've been able to obtain 74mpg over a tankful (brim to brim). That includes several short trips, but mostly 35 mile-drives to and form work, motorways, at 60-65 mph, in the summertime, aircon off, alone in the car. Overall average over 2005 is 67.7 mpg.
It's easy to obtain: avoid short trips, travel alone, 60 mph is the most economical speed, look ahead (to avoid unnecessary braking etc), coast when you can, use the aircon only when needed.
I do drive the car harder at least once every tankful, and use the aircon at least once a week.

We have a petrol but I would regard 72mpg from a diesel car of this size and weight as poor.

My best in various cars were (all measured brim to brim)

51mpg in a 950cc Fiesta in 1981 - not bad for a petrol car of that vintage!
72mpg in a 2.0 DTi Vectra 1998 (agricultural but frugal)
55 (55.01 so rounding did not help) in a 2.2 CDTi Accord Tourer this year (a seriously heavy car)

I don't think the A2's shape makes it particularly economical (short and fat arn't the easiest cars to make slippery) and its frontal area is not especially low (narrow but tall).

Try running the tyres with a couple (no more than 2-4 psi more than recommended.

I was under the impression the A2 was a very aerodynamically efficient shape with a low cd value. From memory, the 1.2TDi with skinny wheels & aero wheel trims was approx 0.26 - but don't quote me on that.

Back