fuel filler flap/central locking

jessie

A2OC Donor
Apologies if this problem and solution have been discussed before, but it may be useful information for someone. My 2001 A2 Tdi has suffered above problems for 6 months - initially the fuel filler cap would not relock after filling. Found that "solenoid" lever was sticking (but did not know why) and problem could be solved by firm tap to bodywork behind filler cap which released lever. Then had intermittent remote central locking problem which I did not think was related, where car could not be locked from key fob (replaced battery, to no avail) but would lock with key in door lock.

Found today that "solenoid" was not releasing because of the linkage catching on a deformed plastic liner inside rear boot rhs inspection cover. Having removed offending obstruction, I find that both fuel filler flap operates properly and also remote central locking works perfectly for first time in 6 months. Presumably there is a connection here - the central locking must operate a further sequence in the fuel filler locking mechanism, although I would not have thought this was necessary.

Anyone help with an explanation please?

Back